T Nation

Fish Oil Liquid?!

The image that comes with this is disturbing. Anyone given it a shot?

yup, I tried it. is this the Norweigan or Swedish fish oil with a blue and white label?

It tasted like lemon oil for the first 2 days, then on the 3rd day, it tasted like real fish oil. I couldnt get that taste out of my mouth!

[quote]rockhard_4eva wrote:
yup, I tried it. is this the Norweigan or Swedish fish oil with a blue and white label?

It tasted like lemon oil for the first 2 days, then on the 3rd day, it tasted like real fish oil. I couldnt get that taste out of my mouth![/quote]

Yea thats the stuff I saw. It looks rancid and sounds rancid.

[quote]
It tasted like lemon oil for the first 2 days, then on the 3rd day, it tasted like real fish oil. I couldnt get that taste out of my mouth![/quote]

You have to keep liquid fish oil refrigerated otherwise it goes off quickly. The liquid reportedly does have a better fatty acid profile though.

I take two tablespoons a day of the Health from the Sun Ultra Omega 3 (molecularly distilled) Fish Oil, lemon-lime flavor. It’s not bad at all and I take it straight.

It’s cheaper and has a better EPA/DHA profile than the tabs (1.5 gms fish oil per teaspoon - iherb has the best price I have found).

I leave it in my refrigerator at 35-40 degrees and have never had any problems with rancidity.

Consumer Reports did a study on the regular tablets and lo and behold, the Kirkland brand was rated the best. You can find it at any Costco, it’s the cheapest per serving and free from tested for contaminants.

Ironic. I’ve been using the Costco brand for awhile. Any thoughts on the new one Kirkland brought out? They are white and supposedly “high concentrate”. I picked up a bottle.

I will have to give the liquid a shot at one point. Just the whole sound of liquid fish oil brings up a horrible image of a dirty stripper.

[quote]trigwu wrote:
Ironic. I’ve been using the Costco brand for awhile. Any thoughts on the new one Kirkland brought out? They are white and supposedly “high concentrate”. I picked up a bottle.

I will have to give the liquid a shot at one point. Just the whole sound of liquid fish oil brings up a horrible image of a dirty stripper.

[/quote]

I haven’t seen the new version, but I would imagine the quality is just as good.

The version that was tested by CR was the Signature Natural Fish Oil Concentrate (July 03 issue - I just can’t throw these back issues away). Member’s Mark from Sam’s Club was rated just as good and the cost per serving was the same as the Kirkland brand.

I was surprised that they found no problems with any of the tested brands for PCBs or other contaminants.

Maybe you are thinking of cod liver oil when thinking about bad tasting fish oil. That stuff repulses even me. The brand I mentioned actually tastes fairly good (made from salmon/mackeral body oils if that is any more appealing)) and has a much finer (less syrupy) consistency than the cod liver oil. Think clean stripper wearing cheap perfume:)

Later

The white one is the enterically coated form. That’s the one I use. It’s higher potency because it capsules are protected from the stomach acids and are digested entirely in the intestines. It also reduces the “fish burp”.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
The white one is the enterically coated form. That’s the one I use. It’s higher potency because it capsules are protected from the stomach acids and are digested entirely in the intestines. It also reduces the “fish burp”.[/quote]

I will keep those as my caps then