T Nation

Fish Oil in Fish?

When you eat tuna, do you get fish oil?

How much fish oil a day is recommended?

Is there any way to get fish oil naturally than just buying the oil itself?

Don’t get that much from tuna, and tuna has too much mercury to be trying to get all of your fish oil from it.

You can get fish oil from salmon and other fatty fish (I like salmon so I havn’t really looked into the alternatives).

Recommended for cardiovascular health benefits start at 1g/day.

-Cloth

[quote]massarmor wrote:
When you eat tuna, do you get fish oil?

How much fish oil a day is recommended?

Is there any way to get fish oil naturally than just buying the oil itself?[/quote]

Tuna and salmon are fish that are naturally high in Omega-3’s. Most cold water sea fish are high in these. Eat and enjoy.

The mercury accumulates according to the food chain. Most canned tuna do not have a very high level of mercury, as they are smaller fish. Tuna steaks will have the highest concentrations. The benefits of eating tuna have proven to vastly outweight the risk of mercury poisoning in men, given that it is not being consumed in too great of quantities on a daily basis. Eating tuna one or two times a day is fine, trying to get all of your omegas from tuna probably would not be a good idea.

There are better fish to use for your source for fish oil. Herring, sardines and mackerel come to mind.

As far as the risks, there was a thread 4 days ago on that topic. Read the thread below and threads that are referenced within.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1502768&pageNo=0#1503356

You’d think that there wasn’t a Search function on the site.

[quote]massarmor wrote:

Is there any way to get fish oil naturally than just buying the oil itself?[/quote]

What isn’t natural about the oil/pills? its just extract
alot easier and cheaper to take fish oil.
I know I can’t afford fresh salmon everyday