Fish Oil Guidelines?

I am looking to get some fish oils to supplement. What are the guidelines to look for when shopping around?

I am looking at:

Nature Made Fish Oil
Nutrition Facts
Serving size, 2 softgels
Servings per container, 50

Total Fat: 2.5 grams
Saturated Fat: .5 grams
Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gram
Monounsaturated Fat: .5 gram
Fish Oil Concentrate: 2,400 mg
Omega-3 (EPA) Eicosapentaeoic Acid: 432 mg
Omega-3 (DH) Docosahexaenoic Acid: 288 mg
Omega-6: 90 mg

and

Berkley and Jensen Fish Oil
EPA 360 mg
DHA 240 mg
(The only info I have)

Fish Oil Complex 1000mg Capsules

Fish Oil 1000mg (1g) capsule
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) 180mg
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) 120mg

1000 capsules per container

price 23.5-24.7$ for 1000 caps

the 180/120 per pill ratio is very standard. The problem with the “extra strength” ones is that they are about twice as concentrated…and cost three times as much.

I usually just buy the cheapest ones (about 500 caps for 15 bucks) and take about 10 a day along side 4 Flameout. Balances out the DHA/EPA ratio and provies like 5-6 grams of the active ingredients.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
I am looking to get some fish oils to supplement. What are the guidelines to look for when shopping around?

I am looking at:

Nature Made Fish Oil
Nutrition Facts
Serving size, 2 softgels

and

EPA 360 mg
DHA 240 mg
(The only info I have)[/quote]

Good god man, one serving of Biotest’s Flameout (4 capsules) contains 2200 mg of DHA and 880 mg, of EPA, not to mention 372 mg. of CLA

A much better value, I think.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
the 180/120 per pill ratio is very standard. The problem with the “extra strength” ones is that they are about twice as concentrated…and cost three times as much.

I usually just buy the cheapest ones (about 500 caps for 15 bucks) and take about 10 a day along side 4 Flameout. Balances out the DHA/EPA ratio and provies like 5-6 grams of the active ingredients.[/quote]

Why are you trying to balance out the DHA/EPA ratio?

Research has shown that men need more DHA than EPA.

[quote]TC wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:

I usually just buy the cheapest ones (about 500 caps for 15 bucks) and take about 10 a day along side 4 Flameout. Balances out the DHA/EPA ratio and provies like 5-6 grams of the active ingredients.

[/quote]

I am not actively trying to balance it out per se, thats just an effect of the “filler” fish oil… I guess I just like to get them an even amounts for some reason.

The CLA is definitely a nice benefit.

Stick to Flameout man, seriously. The best fish oil EVER. I used to burp up the other disgusting “cheap” pills and don’t have an issue with Flameout.

I brought in the bottle when I saw my oncologist last and he took a look at the ratio’s etc. He suggested I stock up and continue to take them daily.

can you get ot much fish oil?

[quote]maxblood wrote:
can you get ot much fish oil?[/quote]

If, in taking fish oil, you exclude using at least a small amount of omega-6 oils (most conventional cooking oils are omega-6 oil) or exclude saturated fat, you can indeed have problems ranging from bad skin to low Testosterone.

However, in today’s culture, we’re usually getting far too much omega-6 and saturated fat.

But I’ve never known anyone to take too much Fish oil. I suppose, over the long run, if you drank or ingested upwards of 50 grams of concentrated oil a day and didn’t balance out your other fatty acid, you might have some problems.

[quote]maxblood wrote:
can you get ot much fish oil?[/quote]

You can get too much of anything really, but I don’t know what amount that might be.

I see it has already been mentioned above, but I was going to say, heck, hasn’t anyone heard of Flameout? It’s good stuff. Do some searching here and you’ll see a ton of people talking about additional benefits such as no more joint pain and so forth.

[quote]TC wrote:
However, in today’s culture, we’re usually getting far too much omega-6 and saturated fat.
[/quote]

That’s very true.

Berardi mentioned that humans evolved on a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 and the current ratio tends to be in the range of 20:1 to 30:1. The difference is, needless to say, huge.

[quote]TC wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:

[/quote]

TC, could you give references to those studies? In my uninformed opinion EPA/DHA ratio should be within 0.5-2.0. I’ve researched EPA/DHA and have found DHA was recommended for mothers/babies and EPA for those who need mood regulation.

On a different note, for 0.77$, one can get 2750/396 DHA/EPA in 11 small caps from a reputable company. For another 0.13$ one can get 750mg of CLA.

A serving of Flameout is 1.23$ with a similar amount of EPA+DHA. It’s very convenient if one can swallow big pills and doesn’t want to take 12 smaller pills instead. But at the same time, it’s more expensive than other options.

Somewhere around here I remember hearing that we should alternate fish oil supplements so that we keep our body guessing about the ratios that it is going to get.

Seemed like it could not hurt so that is what I have been doing recently.

[quote]

TC, could you give references to those studies? In my uninformed opinion EPA/DHA ratio should be within 0.5-2.0. I’ve researched EPA/DHA and have found DHA was recommended for mothers/babies and EPA for those who need mood regulation.

On a different note, for 0.77$, one can get 2750/396 DHA/EPA in 11 small caps from a reputable company. For another 0.13$ one can get 750mg of CLA.

A serving of Flameout is 1.23$ with a similar amount of EPA+DHA. It’s very convenient if one can swallow big pills and doesn’t want to take 12 smaller pills instead. But at the same time, it’s more expensive than other options.[/quote]

Yes, but you’ll also be getting all of the other impurities and murcury from the cheaper oil. Also, the type of CLA may not be the most beneficial type that is found in Flameout.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:

I am looking at:

Nature Made Fish Oil
Nutrition Facts
Serving size, 2 softgels

and

EPA 360 mg
DHA 240 mg
(The only info I have)[/quote]

Each 2 soft gel serving provides:
EPA: 850 mg Other Omega-3s: 180 mg
DHA: 200 mg Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol): 30 IU

This is another good product.

When is the best time to take the 4 Flameout g-caps ?? Divided in 2 intakes during the day ?? o just one intake ??

Ch.

[quote]CharlieGarza wrote:
When is the best time to take the 4 Flameout g-caps ?? Divided in 2 intakes during the day ?? o just one intake ??

Ch.[/quote]

Take them however works best for you.