T Nation

Fish Oil for Weight Loss

Everything i know which isn’t a great deal yet i have learnt from these forums about nutrition so i am a newbie but I am working on it.

From looking up forum posts and articles its 30-45 grams of fish oil per day for gaining mass and 6 grams per day for weight loss?

I’m more interested in the weight loss department atm so firstly is the 6 grams of fish oil per day correct and how much fat is there per 1gram of fish oil.

A mate of mine seems to think there is 9 grams per gram of fish oil but he isnt sure.

30-45g/day is megadosing, and may not be suitable for some people.

6-10g/day is recommended by Berardi for increasing metabolic rate which helps with fat loss

as for the last part “9 grams per gram”. do you mean 9 calories per gram? if so, then yes, that is corret.

1 gram of fish oil equals 1 gram of fat (roughly speaking)

Flameout for example has 4.6g per serving and 52 calories per serving

I’m pretty sure it’s 6g of EPA/DHA per day, not 6g of pure fish oil. Depending on what you use, that may be 12 caps a day, or it may be 8 caps a day… Do the math and figure it out first :slight_smile:

I agree. anywhere from 6-12g/day is fine…

I believe it’s widely emphasized on here that higher doses of fish oil are used when dieting, not when gaining.

I also know that you are confusing grams of fish oil with grams of EPA/DHA. They are not one in the same. Coaches on here suggest 6-10 grams of EPA/DHA a day. Depending on your fish oil source it may take 30 grams of fish oil to get that much. Others, such as Flameout, it takes much less. It’s all about quality.

Thanks for the info and yea 9 cals one gram of fat i got it back to front, thank you again

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I believe it’s widely emphasized on here that higher doses of fish oil are used when dieting, not when gaining.

I also know that you are confusing grams of fish oil with grams of EPA/DHA. They are not one in the same. Coaches on here suggest 6-10 grams of EPA/DHA a day. Depending on your fish oil source it may take 30 grams of fish oil to get that much. Others, such as Flameout, it takes much less. It’s all about quality.[/quote]

What are the recommendations for individual amounts of EPA and DHA? I would imagine mostly DHA and then whatever EPA you would get with your choice of fish oil? Is this correct? I’m not entirely sure which article and or author you folks are referring to.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

I also know that you are confusing grams of fish oil with grams of EPA/DHA. They are not one in the same. Coaches on here suggest 6-10 grams of EPA/DHA a day. Depending on your fish oil source it may take 30 grams of fish oil to get that much. Others, such as Flameout, it takes much less. It’s all about quality.

What are the recommendations for individual amounts of EPA and DHA? I would imagine mostly DHA and then whatever EPA you would get with your choice of fish oil? Is this correct? I’m not entirely sure which article and or author you folks are referring to.

[/quote]

John Berardi… I don’t recall the exact recommendations either. I’d have to look them up. I just know I get at least twice whatever they were.