Fish Oil FAQ

Yo EC, excellent article. One question though, does anyone have a good idea how to get a good source of EPA and DHA to a bottle fed infant?

Bump… anyone?

Okay, how 'bout this:

Everyone knows that the “ideal” amount of EPA and DHA is 6 grams per day. But let’s say that for whatever reason you aren’t getting that much. Let’s say you’re only getting 3 grams. Is that going to do you any good? In other words, is there a minimum cut-off point below which the fish oil doesn’t exert any beneficial influence?

Char,

I’d say yes. To give you a frame of reference, many fish oil manufacturers list one softgel three times per day with meals as their dosage. That counts for a whopping 900mg of EPA/DHA. Nonetheless, people have readily noticeably improvements in a various of health concerns. 6g would be ideal, but not absolutely necessary to see a benefit.

Renegade Dragon,

How about mixing some of Health from the Sun’s Lemon-Lime fish oil into the juice or milk? I assume the infant is not breast feeding anymore, as supplementing would not be necessary if the baby was still on the tit:)

Wow… I actually tried to post a thanks about 6 hours ago, but apparently it got caught up somewhere.

Thanks for the article EC, it’s a great one. I’m actually shocked you didn’t submit it to TC to have it published on a friday.

Just my little way of giving back to the forum. Plus, I wrote it quite a while ago, so some stuff that’s been discovered since isn’t in there.

Great work, dude!

I just checked out my fish oil capsules and they deliver 300mg of EPA/DHA (180:120). So you’re saying I should take twenty of these cannonballs a day?

There must be a better way, ya?

Eric, thanks for the info. Between your knowledge and the stuff provided to me by Cass, I’m beginning to understand all of these benefits. And anecdotal as it is, my gains in health since I’ve started taking it are rather amazing. (ask C).
O/T: It’s posts like yours that give me faith in the world. Sounds like you’re on top of it. Maybe you guys should all write a book?

Vanillaroma-Yup; not much fun, eh?

TheSmileCreator-You never know; we might get around to it someday! Thanks for the kind words.