Fish Oil / Cod Liver Oil

I have considered picking up some fish oil as part of my supplementation for body building, I just had a few quick questions before I go drop my money on a bottle.

1.) Ive read the numerous benefits of fish oil including boosts in CNS function and omega-3 fatty acids, also the fact that fish oil helps burn fat. My question is if I am attempting to bulk up will taking something that helps to burn fat hinder my progress?

2.) And secondly: Fish oil, Cod Liver oil. Whats the difference and should I take one over the other?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

• Hero

I’ve heard that cod liver oil contains a potentially toxic overdose of vitmain A. but then I’ve also heard that the vitamin A in cod liver oil negates that.

[quote]HERO wrote:

1.) Ive read the numerous benefits of fish oil including boosts in CNS function and omega-3 fatty acids, also the fact that fish oil helps burn fat. My question is if I am attempting to bulk up will taking something that helps to burn fat hinder my progress?

2.) And secondly: Fish oil, Cod Liver oil. Whats the difference and should I take one over the other?

• Hero
    [/quote]

Fish Oils are an excellent source of EPA/DHA fatty acids that are ESSENTIAL for life (EFAs). So taking it ain’t gonna hurt ya none! Also, there could be the possibility of limiting fat gain while maximizing muscle gain. Carbolin 19 and HOT-ROX Extreme can help you with that as well. And finally, there are heart protective benefits. You could argue for Flax Oil or whatever but be aware that the conversion rate to EPA/DHA is VERY low (on the order of 15% at most. And then almost all of that is EPA).

As for #2, Fish Oil is just the concentrated EPA/DHA, while Cod Liver Oil also contains vitamins A and D.

Primarily, stick with the Fish Oil. As the Northern Hemisphere goes into the winter, you may want to think about adding some Cod Liver Oil for the Vitamin D that you won’t be getting because there isn’t enough sunlight in the winter months. Of course if you’re taking a good Multi-vitamin, then don’t worry about the Cod Liver Oil.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
Fish Oils are an excellent source of EPA/DHA fatty acids that are ESSENTIAL for life (EFAs). So taking it ain’t gonna hurt ya none! Also, there could be the possibility of limiting fat gain while maximizing muscle gain. Carbolin 19 and HOT-ROX Extreme can help you with that as well. And finally, there are heart protective benefits. You could argue for Flax Oil or whatever but be aware that the conversion rate to EPA/DHA is VERY low (on the order of 15% at most. And then almost all of that is EPA).

As for #2, Fish Oil is just the concentrated EPA/DHA, while Cod Liver Oil also contains vitamins A and D.

Primarily, stick with the Fish Oil. As the Northern Hemisphere goes into the winter, you may want to think about adding some Cod Liver Oil for the Vitamin D that you won’t be getting because there isn’t enough sunlight in the winter months. Of course if you’re taking a good Multi-vitamin, then don’t worry about the Cod Liver Oil.[/quote]

Very thorough and informative response, pretty much gave me all I wanted to know!

Thanks a bunch.