Fish Oil Better Than Ritalin for ADHD

[quote]xjayx300 wrote:
ADD, ADHD, that ish makes me laugh…
When did these disorders start to appear?

Funny, how a kid can have ADD, but they play XBOX, PSP, or PS2 and play that game for hours if not days…

And now, they have some type of disorder for a hyperactive foot or leg…[/quote]

Thats true.
But,sadly,thats not how your brain works.
You can have ADD and still pay attention to something you enjoy.
Your mind doesn’t see it that way.
I have seen really bad cases were kids couldn’t even play x box though.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Sooo do you like the place you live in? How about your method of transportation? What about that running water? If so, stop knocking capitalism.[/quote]

In Iraq they have transportation and running water.
Is Iraq a good place to live at the moment?

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
It’s great to see a mother who takes pride in what her kids eat.
Is your son still on ADD medication?
If so,what brand is he using.
Alsom,I think you’d be better off givng him 4-8 fish oil a day.
It’s absorbed much better that way.

Thanks. I try very hard to make sure he & my daughter eat well. (Getting my daughter to eat a veggie, however, would take an act of God. lol! But we’re getting there!)

He was never on medication. I refuse to drug him up when I know his diet was largely to blame.

In addition to diet, he also displays those same behaviors when he’s exposed to strong odors, be it perfume that someone took a bath in or the off-gassing from the new carpet and paint in our new apartment. (That’s been a nightmare for the last month, let me tell you!) I can’t always control what smells he’s exposed to, but I can control his diet.

I’ll up his fish oil intake. Thanks.[/quote]

Thats great!
There is all natural perfumes you can by that are made with herbs and flowers,and smell so much better.
I break out whenever I use a lot of crap like that too.
I use shampoo thats made with real wheat grass and lemons,and has none of that artificial crap in it and my hair and scalp is great.
Also,does he take any antibiotics every year by the doctor?

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Ok so to address the first issue my diet is very good. I eat clean, high protein, high complex carbs, very little in the way of stimulants (i.e. caffeine and sugars) and more than enough fruits and greens. Btw, I am trying to gain weight.
[/quote]

Have you looked at the ingredients of any prepackaged foods or drinks you ingest? Artificial colors, artificial preservatives (BHT, BHA, TBHQ), and artificial flavors (vanillIN instead of vanillA), and artificial sweeteners (Equal, sweet-n-low, splenda) all make my son and numerous other kids I know have problems. They get your ADD/ADHD behaviors.

I think ALL artificial ingredients are bad. But some people are more sensitive to them than others.

On top of that, some people have problems processing high-salycilate foods like apples and peaches and plums. My son goes nuts if he has too much. I have to limit his intake of high-sal foods.

Look at the ingredients. Sucralose is NOT a natural sweetener. It’s common brand name is Splenda.

That said, we do purchase the product because my husband uses it. I’m not trying to bash Biotest or their prods, just pointing out something specific in your diet.

[quote
Fourth, stop referring to me as a kid, or implying such by mentioning studies done on kids. I’m 22. [/quote]

The studies go for adults, too.

Check out adhddiet.com.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Sooo do you like the place you live in? How about your method of transportation? What about that running water? If so, stop knocking capitalism.

Is Iraq a good place to live at the moment?[/quote]

That actually exemplifies my point. Iraq lived under strict ruler and had little to no form of capitalism and look what it got them. Even before our bombs they lived in poverty and in general crappy living conditions. Please see the definition of Capitalism:
An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.
Iraq had no free market, nor any real coporations and look what it got them. Also see North Korea.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Thats great!
There is all natural perfumes you can by that are made with herbs and flowers,and smell so much better.[/quote]

I buy essential oils and mix them w/ vodka to make a perfume or a room spray, but usually I don’t wear it. Not a perfume person. :slight_smile:

[quote]
I use shampoo thats made with real wheat grass and lemons,and has none of that artificial crap in it and my hair and scalp is great.[/quote]

What do you use? I like Aubrey Organics, but it’s pricey so I cna’t always afford it.

[quote]
Also,does he take any antibiotics every year by the doctor?[/quote]

Nope, not unless he’s really sick and I can’t tackle it naturally. He hasn’t had antibiotics in a couple of years. He also hasn’t been vaccinated since he was 9 mos old. My daughter never has.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Sooo do you like the place you live in? How about your method of transportation? What about that running water? If so, stop knocking capitalism.

That actually exemplifies my point. Iraq lived under strict ruler and had little to no form of capitalism and look what it got them. Even before our bombs they lived in poverty and in general crappy living conditions. Please see the definition of Capitalism:
An economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in a free market.
Iraq had no free market, nor any real coporations and look what it got them. Also see North Korea.[/quote]

I know what capitalism means.
However,you fail to understand where I’m coming from.
Just because we have capitalism doesn’t mean we’re the best country in the world.
We are the best country in the world,but,just because our government has power doesn’t mean they have to abuse it like they’re doing now.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Thats great!
There is all natural perfumes you can by that are made with herbs and flowers,and smell so much better.

I buy essential oils and mix them w/ vodka to make a perfume or a room spray, but usually I don’t wear it. Not a perfume person. :slight_smile:

I use shampoo thats made with real wheat grass and lemons,and has none of that artificial crap in it and my hair and scalp is great.

What do you use? I like Aubrey Organics, but it’s pricey so I cna’t always afford it.

Also,does he take any antibiotics every year by the doctor?

Nope, not unless he’s really sick and I can’t tackle it naturally. He hasn’t had antibiotics in a couple of years. He also hasn’t been vaccinated since he was 9 mos old. My daughter never has.[/quote]

Good,I’d keep away from the antibiotics.
Start drinking some raw milk.It’s a great probitobic.
www.realmilk.com

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

Iraq had no free market, nor any real coporations and look what it got them. Also see North Korea.

Just because we have capitalism doesn’t mean we’re the best country in the world.
We are the best country in the world,but,just because our government has power doesn’t mean they have to abuse it like they’re doing now.[/quote]

Haha I think we were just arguing two different points! I was just arguing that capitalism wasn’t bad. Never attempted to say we are the best country!
I just hate the “Blame Capitalism” reasoning.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
www.realmilk.com [/quote]

Yup - working on finding a source. :smiley:

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

We are the best country in the world,but,just because our government has power doesn’t mean they have to abuse it like they’re doing now.

Haha I think we were just arguing two different points! I was just arguing that capitalism wasn’t bad. Never attempted to say we are the best country!
I just hate the “Blame Capitalism” reasoning.[/quote]

Yeah.
I don’t think it’s bad,just that some people abuse what power they have,if you know where I’m coming from.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
www.realmilk.com

Yup - working on finding a source. :D[/quote]

Even if it’s illegal in your state,you cans till ahve it shipped to you.
http://www.organicpastures.com/ is where I buy mine from.

Yeah, it’s legal here (Texas) I just have to find a source reasonably close to me. Nearest one is Schulenberg, TX. The rancher makes stops in San Antonio, so now I need to find where. :slight_smile:

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:

Fish oil improves the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) without any of the side effects of drugs like Ritalin and Concerta – and more effectively, a study by the University of Adelaide in Australia found.

When 130 children between the ages of 7 and 12 with ADHD were given fish oil capsules daily, behavior dramatically improved within three months. Further:

After seven months, the children were not as restless and showed improvements at school
Improvements in concentration and attention improved by one-third

After 15 weeks, 30-40 percent of the children taking fish oil had improvements
After 30 weeks, 40-50 percent improved
Children taking placebo capsules were later switched to fish oil and subsequently also experienced improved behavior

Improvements were still being seen after the study ended, which suggests the fish oils may have long-term effects. When the researchers compared their results to studies of Ritalin and Concerta for ADHD, they found that fish oils were more effective.

ADHD drugs are known to carry serious side effects, including insomnia, changes in personality, cardiotoxicity, heart attack, stroke and even sudden death. In the UK, nine children have died after taking the drugs.

If anyone you know has ADHD,please send them this post.

Thankyou,Cthulhu [/quote]

This makes sense. Is ADD an inflammatory disease? High cortisol levels can lead to confusion, being “scatterbrain”, NOT SLEEPING WELL. Most of the kids I’ve known who were diagnosed with ADD had insomnia problems.

And think of it this way: If you are seriously overtrained, should you A) take stimulants to get through your workout anyway or B) find a way to reduce inflammation?

Great thread. My son has ADHD. I will check out the diet and add fish oil to his diet.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:

I just hate the “Blame Capitalism” reasoning.

Yeah.
I don’t think it’s bad,just that some people abuse what power they have,if you know where I’m coming from.[/quote]

Agreed

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:

Fish oil improves the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) without any of the side effects of drugs like Ritalin and Concerta – and more effectively, a study by the University of Adelaide in Australia found.

When 130 children between the ages of 7 and 12 with ADHD were given fish oil capsules daily, behavior dramatically improved within three months. Further:

After seven months, the children were not as restless and showed improvements at school
Improvements in concentration and attention improved by one-third

After 15 weeks, 30-40 percent of the children taking fish oil had improvements
After 30 weeks, 40-50 percent improved
Children taking placebo capsules were later switched to fish oil and subsequently also experienced improved behavior

Improvements were still being seen after the study ended, which suggests the fish oils may have long-term effects. When the researchers compared their results to studies of Ritalin and Concerta for ADHD, they found that fish oils were more effective.

ADHD drugs are known to carry serious side effects, including insomnia, changes in personality, cardiotoxicity, heart attack, stroke and even sudden death. In the UK, nine children have died after taking the drugs.

If anyone you know has ADHD,please send them this post.

Thankyou,Cthulhu

This makes sense. Is ADD an inflammatory disease? High cortisol levels can lead to confusion, being “scatterbrain”, NOT SLEEPING WELL. Most of the kids I’ve known who were diagnosed with ADD had insomnia problems.

And think of it this way: If you are seriously overtrained, should you A) take stimulants to get through your workout anyway or B) find a way to reduce inflammation?
[/quote]

They do not know what causes ADD, and most of the insomnia could be a result from the medicine.