Fish Oil and Tendonitis

[quote]Ranzo wrote:
Does anyone notive benefit from taking Glucosamine with tendonitis??[/quote]

I’ve had two bouts of tendonitis in the past few years. The first one was completely relieved by glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. The second time around I found that glucosamine/chondroitin provided some relief, as did taking ibuprofen. However, taking them both together completely resolved my tendonitis. I think the reason that they work well together is that you need to knock down the inflamation as well as rebuild the tendon tissue.

Good luck!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ranzo wrote:

None for me.

Oddly, eating cucumbers seemed to lessen the pain on a given day I was eating them. Same with chipotle peppers. Nice relief, but not a cure.

My last bout with knee tendinitis lasted 5 months… until I went to see a deep muscle manipulation doctor. He said it was because my knees were off-track, so he manipulated them into place! I was squatting again 2 days later… after 5 months of inability to do any quad work![/quote]

Can I ask who you go to? I have chronic tendonitis on and off all over the place plus a few tears.

[quote]as wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Ranzo wrote:

None for me.

Oddly, eating cucumbers seemed to lessen the pain on a given day I was eating them. Same with chipotle peppers. Nice relief, but not a cure.

My last bout with knee tendinitis lasted 5 months… until I went to see a deep muscle manipulation doctor. He said it was because my knees were off-track, so he manipulated them into place! I was squatting again 2 days later… after 5 months of inability to do any quad work![/quote]

Can I ask who you go to? I have chronic tendonitis on and off all over the place plus a few tears.[/quote]

Dr Pilegi (sp) in Collingswood. There’s a waiting list (up to 3 months).

Before him, I went to my wife’s naturopathic doctor (now moved out of NJ). She prescribed a potassium/magnesium salve that worked wonders.

You sound like you’re overworked.

@ steveprez
glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate,
i guess i have a tendonitis to my right shloulder for the last 8 months. The pain is not too bad but a sign i need rest. It might occur taking a shower, eating or probably from sleeping on it. I train on and off searching wich moves might be OK.
I started taking fish oil and glucosamine 50% more than the suggested amount.
I will switch to glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, what amount do you suggest?
How many weeks might be helpfull?
Thanks, all the best !

[quote]steveprez wrote:

[quote]Ranzo wrote:

I’ve had two bouts of tendonitis in the past few years. The first one was completely relieved by glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. The second time around I found that glucosamine/chondroitin provided some relief, as did taking ibuprofen. However, taking them both together completely resolved my tendonitis. I think the reason that they work well together is that you need to knock down the inflamation as well as rebuild the tendon tissue.

Good luck![/quote]

x2 on glucosamine but I got nothing from chondroitin.

Also, something I swear by is doing very high rep slow tempo cable curls with cable extensions with a rope. I’ve more luck with reverse rope curls with the superset and and really focusing hard on trying to pull the rope apart at the bottom of the extension.

This gets a ton of blood in the area.

Also of course is good old fashioned vitamin I or aleve for the time while you have it.

Icy hot and the like makes it feel better, but I’m not sure if that will increase bloodflow to the area.

Also, elbow sleeves help. There’s also this strap thing that you put just below your elbow on your forearm that you tighten a little that helps a lot. What also helps for me are wrist wraps wrapped up high on the forearm. Put those three together and it helps a ton.

My middle name is temndonitis. the-“tendonitis”-Bird.

No seriously, Ive had tendonitis in my left achilles for years now. Resting does make it feel better, although it always returns.

I take 6-8g of fish oil a day, and warm-up properly.

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

tweet

[quote]seekonk wrote:
Google or Pubmed eccentric loading for tendinopathy. [/quote]
2X Look up tendonosis - i had similar problems in my biceps, right where it attaches to the crook of my elbow. Chiropractor did Graston technique on the muscle to break up scar tissue, and recommended eccentric loaded curls usin 15-30% loading, followed by self-massage. Helped a lot. watch out for any hyperextension while doing any sort of pulls (curls/chins/deads etc.) They’ll muck it up. fish oilis awesome for healing, one of those supps that you really notice the difference if you stop taking it, but a lot of people I know say it doesn’t work - usually the ones expecting a miracle cure/instant pain relief.