Fish Oil and Strange Side Effects?

ok so does anyone else get this? I take around 5 caps of fish oil after each meal and about 10-20mins later notice a strange tingling or slightly itchy feeling in my hands! the caps are filtered and have been mercury tested. any ideas?

forgot to add that it only last about 30mins , but seems to happen 2x day when i take the caps but not when i take oil (1 tablespoon at breakfast)

Have you tried a different brand?

I know Poliquin use to suggest rotating/alternating brands of flax seed oil for reasons that I no longer remember.

The reason Poliquin suggests rotating your fish oil is so you will not develop an allergic reaction. He also likes you rotating your protein powder as well. This is also the reason he does not like eggs as a protein source.

I would suggest switching to an enteric coated fish oil. this will enhance absorbtion.

I would also suggest not taking so many at one time. Maybe only supplelment with 1 or 2 6 times a day instead of 5 twice a day

If you follow Cy’s recommendation of taking a 2-3 week break from any supplement every 12 weeks, you won’t have to worry about switching anything, be it fish oil or protein powder.

Case Closed.

[quote]RobNZ wrote:
ok so does anyone else get this? I take around 5 caps of fish oil after each meal and about 10-20mins later notice a strange tingling or slightly itchy feeling in my hands! the caps are filtered and have been mercury tested. any ideas? [/quote]

When I take mine I seem to be able to breath underwater for a very short time period. Other than that they don’t have much effect.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
If you follow Cy’s recommendation of taking a 2-3 week break from any supplement every 12 weeks, you won’t have to worry about switching anything, be it fish oil or protein powder.

Case Closed. [/quote]

Case closed? This is a very vague, over generalized statement to make, especially one to end on a “case closed” note. There was a post here recently about cycling whey and the answer (correct one) was that cycling a nutrient (be it a SUPPLEMENTED nutrient or not) is like cycling breakfast because you’ve had it every day for a month.

If he’s noticing an ITCHING its probably a reaction, nothing cycling is going to effect or not.

I’d ask a doctor or swap brands, as perhaps its something thats added to that particular brand. I mean if your allergy is just a mild itching I guess you’re somewhat safe to push your luck, but I’d still ask your physician before you do something very unhealthy in an effort to be healthy.

[quote]T-Nick wrote:

Case Closed. [/quote]

No, case not closed. I wouldnt want to stop taking fish oils for 3 weeks.

Fish oil is more a food stuff not a supp so much and unless doing a blood test, surgery etc I dont think Cy would say stop taking them. hat would be like saying quite eating fatty fish.

Phill