Fish Oil And Performances

I need some studies supporting that fish oil reduces muscle soreness, improve perfoemence and enhance recovery!

Thank you!
F&F

I’m not sure if you will find any studies with significant gains in the variables you seek.

Although fish oil is great for health, I don’t think it has much to offer in terms of performance.

I could be wrong though and mind my is open to any alternatives.

In the “Fat Roundtable” Lonnie and Eric mentioned this. I just want some researches and studies about it.

Personally, I have never read any good information that claims fish oil is helpful relative to muscle recovery. However, I consume 5 to 6 grams per day for health purposes. Fish oil has raised my HDL (good cholesterol) level. It has also helped somewhat with some minor joint pain from years of lifting.

Although fish oils decrease inflamation I have only seen one study with fish oil and DOMS and the fish oils provided no benefit (they used quite a small dose of fish oils though )The effects of fish oil and isoflavones on delayed onset muscle soreness - PubMed

Another paper that I have read suggested no benefit with fish oils and exercise performance Fat supplementation, health, and endurance performance - PubMed

Like pointed out though fish oils are great for your health and I suspect this improved health would result in improved exercise performance in the long term but the effects are likely to be mild.

I just got Tom Kurtz’s latest newsletter in which he basically states that fish oils are a waste of time. He cites research that says fish oil capsules have no positive effects on minimizing inflammation and preventing disease. If anybody else has read this article and believes that I have misinterpreted it, please speak up.
I found this disturbing being that I get all my fish oil from capsules, and Kurtz’s books are always referenced by guys like staley and the boys over at elite fitness. Plus charles poloquin sells fish oil capsules on his site. what’s up with this?

I have a feeling there is a great deal of variance in quality of fish oil supplements out there. I personally use Carlson’s lemon flavored fish oil. The taste is pretty good, my four year old and one year old will both take a spoonful without flinching.
I have not read the article saying fish oil is worthless, but omega-3’s (specifically DHA and EPA) are not classified as ESSENTIAL fats because they are worthless.

Mike, can you give us the references that he cites in that newsletter or even copy the relevant part of the newsletter here?

Without knowing what he is saying it’s difficult to comment but fish oils are a great supplement with numerous research supported benefits.

the name of the issue is “stadion news”
volume 11, number 1, winter 2004.
the name of the article is “I told you so…Supplements vs. Food”
He doesn’t argue that fatty acids aren’t essential, he just states that:
“these fatty acids are best obtained from fatty fish…Moris states (2004) thus far no human study has indicated that taking a fish oil capsule is associated with less risk of developing disease”. He goes on to say that E and C supplements have also been proven to have no effect on lessening disease, only whole food has.
His research reference is:
Morris, M.C. Diet and Alzheimers Disease: What the evidence shows. Medscape General Medicine, vol. 6, no. 1

All the Medscape article says is that fish oil caps have not been proven to prevent Alzheimers. However, it does not site any studies indicating that fish oil supplements are ineffective, but rather says that studies are underway, and there is no conclusion either way.