Fish Oil and Joint Swelling?

Hey guys. I just started taking Flameout a couple weeks ago and last week my left knee got a little swollen. I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. No pain, popping stiffness before I started taking it. Then all of a sudden out of the blue it started clicking(only when I would walk upstairs), and yesterday got a little swollen. Has anyone had this kinda effect when going on a different fish oil?

Granted it could be unrelated, but I really haven’t had any changes in my training or anything I could chalk up as a potential injury.

Not knocking Flameout or anything, I just remember reading that some people switched from Flameout to Carsons and their knees swelled a little. Wondering if I had the reverse problem…

It could be related. How much fish oil did you use to take? How much Flameout are you taking right now? If you have joint issues and have decreased your total intake, you might experience that.

I bought a used car once, 10 years later BAM! Herpes

[quote]lixy wrote:
It could be related. How much fish oil did you use to take? How much Flameout are you taking right now? If you have joint issues and have decreased your total intake, you might experience that.[/quote]

I usually take 2 around noon, and 2 for dinner. I used to take Nature’s whatever(about 4 pills in the morning and 4 at dinner).

I don’t really have joint issues. I had ACL surgery about 5 years ago with no issues since then.

I did stop taking fishoil for the past week though. The clicking and swelling started sometime during that week I was off the oil.

[quote]ratm88 wrote:
I bought a used car once, 10 years later BAM! Herpes[/quote]

HAHHAHHA.

Sorry I have no advice to offer.

Flameout is not related to your knee issue.

There is no way that a couple grams of ANY kind of fat would affect a joint like that.

“Popping stiffness” was a symptom that something is wrong with the knee.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I did stop taking fishoil for the past week though. The clicking and swelling started sometime during that week I was off the oil.[/quote]

There you go.

[quote]rsg wrote:
ratm88 wrote:
I bought a used car once, 10 years later BAM! Herpes

HAHHAHHA.

Sorry I have no advice to offer.[/quote]

I found this randomly hilarious as well.

Carry on.

Wow, I can’t believe somebody would even assume an association between a swollen knee and fish oil…it could be possible the fish oil traveled to your knee, solidified, and now is causing swelling…or it could be that you lack any common sense

[quote]Rasclot123 wrote:
Wow, I can’t believe somebody would even assume an association between a swollen knee and fish oil…it could be possible the fish oil traveled to your knee, solidified, and now is causing swelling…or it could be that you lack any common sense[/quote]

Hey common now. I know it sounds crazy(fish oil being an anti-inlfammatory), but I was reading on here that some people switched to Carson’s fish oil(whatever that is), and their knee got a little swollen. I coincidentally stopped taking fishoil for a week(it being Flameout also), and my knee got a little swollen. Just curious if there was any connection.

I do lack common sense, btw.

Carlson’s didn’t cause knee swelling for anyone else, either. These supposed connections are just superstitions.

Your first and most recent posts on this thread seem to contradict.

At the same time…fish oil isn’t working for his swollen joints …much as it doesn’t work for anyone with any real inflammation…maybe you and i need to concentrate harder to get the full benefit of placebo-effect…

[quote]BJ* wrote:
At the same time…fish oil isn’t working for his swollen joints …much as it doesn’t work for anyone with any real inflammation…maybe you and i need to concentrate harder to get the full benefit of placebo-effect…[/quote]

"Much as it doesn’t work for anyone with any real inflammation? "

You’re kidding, right? Do you even know how fish oil works, or are you just spouting off bullshit?

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
BJ* wrote:
At the same time…fish oil isn’t working for his swollen joints …much as it doesn’t work for anyone with any real inflammation…maybe you and i need to concentrate harder to get the full benefit of placebo-effect…

"Much as it doesn’t work for anyone with any real inflammation? "

You’re kidding, right? Do you even know how fish oil works, or are you just spouting off bullshit?[/quote]

I’d go for the latter.

I haven’t been taking fish all this week becase I ran out - my right knee and wrists are starting to ache again from previous injuries. This happens everytime I run out.

Yep.
Similar to the idea that vitamin D can help the bone density of women with osteoporosis…it can…but that doesn’t mean mega doses of vitamin D with help YOU develop super bones. Fatty acids in fish oil are good for healthy joints…that does NOT mean you will cure a real problem. But go ahead and believe (and buy) whatever makes you feel good.

[quote]BJ* wrote:
Yep.
Similar to the idea that vitamin D can help the bone density of women with osteoporosis…it can…but that doesn’t mean mega doses of vitamin D with help YOU develop super bones. Fatty acids in fish oil are good for healthy joints…that does NOT mean you will cure a real problem. But go ahead and believe (and buy) whatever makes you feel good. [/quote]

Nobody is claiming that taking fish oil will “cure” an injury. But you did claim that it does nothing for anyone with any real inflammation. That is horseshit. While omega-3 fatty acids won’t remove the problem causing the inflammation, they will prevent an exaggerated inflammatory response from occurring, resulting in less pain, swelling, and chemotaxis to an area.

There is even research showing that there are non-eicosanoid mediate mechanisms by which omega-3 FAs can reduce inflammation, such as gene expression.

Do what you want, I’ll continue taking my “placebos.”

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
Do what you want, I’ll continue taking my “placebos.”[/quote]

That NO2 stuff is great! :smiley:

So the inflammation that was in my ankle (and the damn thing was swollen too) was a figment of my imagination? I didn’t really reduce it (and keep it under control) with fish oil ? The other things like triglyceride and cholestrol and blood sugar and blood pressure improvements are what, another figment of my imagination?

Man is it starting to stink in here or what?