Fish Oil and Bruising

I don’t personally think clotting was relevant to my case.

When bruising easily, the most common cause by far was injections with an insulin needle. Bruising did not require even the tiniest drop of blood to appear at the surface, nor any being aspirated.

In contrast, now I can have a few drops of blood appear at the surface, from a small blood vessel having been punctured on the way in, and most times even what that happens – which is fairly uncommon – there is no bruise. And when there is, it is much smaller than when bruising formerly was common.

In either case no doubt internally released blood led to the bruise, but it seems to me surely it was happening with less blood before than what is now insufficient for bruising.

Besides this, my clotting from cuts was perfectly fine before and still is now.

Of course others may have different situations, but at least in my case both increased fish oil did not result in noticeably different clotting, and the previously much higher tendency to bruising seems very unlikely to have been caused by greater quantity of released blood.

[quote]Miss Parker wrote:
Jjones88, don’t despair! All the fighter girls I know think black eyes are hot.

Probably not so great for work, though.[/quote]

It’s comical that you say that, as an engineer people just stare when I come in after a sparring session with a beautiful black eye.

When I was on Naprelen for all my injuries, I didn’t bruise at all. Being an anti-inflammatory similar to fish oil its very surprising that this was the case. It wasn’t until the Naprelen tore up my stomach that I upped my dosage of fish oil. Then came the bruising.

I would think that the fish oil would help the bruising, but my body is probably just weird.

*Edit: I have no issues with blood clotting, in fact I was always told by doctors that I clot unusually fast.

Bill have you ever heard of Bromelain? After doing some googling, that supplement came up. It appears to be in pineapple, which again leads to a citrus deficiency.

Yes, bromelain is a plant enzyme that has properties of (incompletely) digesting protein.

When taken orally there’s also an interest anti-inflammatory effect.

I personally don’t think that this is a property of getting bromelain itself into the bloodstream, though it seems that sources touting it for this reason seem to be operating on that assumption. First, proteins, which this is, are not ordinarily absorbed intact. Second, I think it would be a horrible thing if it were absorbed intact. Try adding bromelain to a piece of cube steak and wait a few hours: you get mush. Would we really want something like that circulating in our bloodstream, digesting proteins wherever it encounters them? I don’t think so.

So most likely, IMO, a digested fragment of bromelain that is absorbed and itself does not digest protein has the interesting and useful anti-inflammatory property.

Bromelain itself isn’t in any way related to flavonoids such as quercetin or any sort of anti-oxidant, and most citrus does not have it.

But possibly – I had not known it – the anti-inflammatory property may reduce bruising triggered from internal blood leakage.