Fish Oil Allergy... Alternatives?

So about ten years ago I developed an allergy to fish and seafood. I ate it all my life, but suddenly had to stop. A few days ago I tried fish oil, since it seems to be crucial to good health and solid muscle growth. I was hoping I could tolerate it.

Bad news.

I can’t. I had the same symptoms as eating fish (chest tightening, throat swelling, etc), so my question is this:

What can I do in the place of fish oil?

Thanks

Try ground flax seed or flaxseed oil capsules.

Not as good for EPA/DHA, but you still get a lot of Omega 3’s.

If you have the money, the Omega-3 eggs are damned tasty.

You can get algae derived EPA/DHA supplements. Same thing basically, no fish.

Just a heads up: There is a possibility of flax negatively effecting your hormone profile.

I’d stick with the algae based if you can do it, or eat grass fed and finished beef/chicken/lamb/pork.

Hey, stay away from the Flax!! The Phytoestrogen in flax seed is 379,380 (mg/100g approx. 4 ounces)Phytoestrogen data source: Thompson, L.U., Boucher, B.A., Lui, Z., Cotterchio, M., and Kreiger, N. 2006. Phytoestrogen content of foods consumed in Canada

This infor and a lot of great info. is available at Dr. Wongs website drwong.us
hope this is helpful at least for what to stay away from.

[quote]kevinguy wrote:
So about ten years ago I developed an allergy to fish and seafood. I ate it all my life, but suddenly had to stop. A few days ago I tried fish oil, since it seems to be crucial to good health and solid muscle growth. I was hoping I could tolerate it.

Bad news.

I can’t. I had the same symptoms as eating fish (chest tightening, throat swelling, etc), so my question is this:

What can I do in the place of fish oil?

Thanks[/quote]

A couple tablespoons of freshly ground flax per day isn’t going to harm you. Do some more research on this site about the phytoestrogen content of flax and don’t get freaked out by some comments. Some people have noted getting slightly puffy nipples after eating flax, and if you do, then you might want to lessen the amount or eliminate it.

Omega3’s are also present in chia seed, as well. In fact, it appears that chia seed has a 3:1 ratio of 3 to 6.

There’s also some Omega3 in hemp seed, so that’s an option. Most of the companies that produce it say that the THC in hemp seed sold as a supplement won’t show up in drug tests as it’s just too minute an amount . . .

As others mentioned, there is some Omega3 content in grass fed beef and wild game.

Supposedly canola oil also has some Omega3 content (but a higher amount of Omega6), but you want to make sure that you get organic canola oil packaged in dark glass, if you can find it (all oils should be packaged this way, really).

You might want to check out Udo’s DHA Oil Blend, which is a blend of Omega3, Omega6, and Omega9, with added algae-based DHA. florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/R67998.htm

I use the following site to check stuff, whenever I’m curious about macronutrient and nutrient content:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Dang, that’s a lot of good info guys.

I appreciate it.

I second hemp seed oil. The cannabis plants used for hemp seed oil have quite low levels of THC, and intaking the oil won’t cause positive drug test results (there’s a similar thread regarding this in the steroids forum right now (“hemp as oil carrier”). Not sure of the price though, and you can probably only get it in liquid form (no capsules).