Fiscal Conservatism?

Then, respectfully, I put zero stock in judging equality based on whether or not it was “forced.”

Most of my family grew up behind the Iron Curtain and the great social reforms of the Proletariat. We all wince at anything that remotely whiffs of communist ideology for the tremendous suffering it caused through out our lives. Going there shortly after ‘The Fall’ was eye opening. Seeing the damage that the regime laid out laid waste to that country. They are still recovering from it now.
To accurately describe it and the effect it had on my family would take a book.

Needless to say we wince at anything that remotely looks like communist ideology slipping unnoticed, into America. There are no ‘good points’ to communism and none of it should ever be adopted.
Example, ‘single payer’ insurance, I.E. Health care courtesy of the government… Some people want that because it sounds good, until you get it. There is no description to accurately describe how bad an idea this is.
The white hot glare of the USSR loomed large in all my life until 1991. December 26, 1991 was one of the greatest days in world history…

Back at cha’, Friend…
Fair enough…

1 Like

As someone whose family personally suffered under communism and who actually lived under the said regime with all the perks (shortages of virtually everything, gas rationing…) I’d say it’s an extremely big stretch to lump in universal health care with the evils of communism.

2 Likes

It was part of the package… It killed my aunt.

I’m sorry to hear that.

But shortage of pharmacological products/drugs due to the spectacular wastefulness and inefficiency of communism does not equate with the concept of universal health care.

That was the concept in practice.

So the numerous places where it’s in place now and functioning fine are…? Ticking time bombs?

1 Like

England does not encompass the entirety of the world’s social health care, but you already know that :wink:

Also, fwiw, I think a large part of our healthcare problem in America is this “I WANT IT NOW” mentality we’re always in. Speed = cost = snowballing HC costs (obviously oversimplified).

Like McDonald’s?

1 Like

Exactly like McDonalds actually

That article does nothing to make universal health care look bad as the problem is not related to the concept of universal health care.

1 Like

Because of McDonald’s. In more ways than one.

2 Likes

You’re right. Rationed care has nothing to do with rationed care.

I thought we were talking about universal health care?

Totally agreed, but I would also add that I think fiscal conservatism is a philosophy that transcends any ideological view of government - meaning, IMO, I don’t care if you want to nationalize health care or grow defense spending tenfold, you have to pay for it with today’s dollars. That should be the starting point, regardless of whether the expenditures satisfy a left wing goal or a right wing.

I consider that to be fiscal conservatism, even prior to a bias of wanting, say, lower taxes rather than higher. Maybe fiscal “conservatism” is no longer the right term, given that “conservatism” means something else nowadays.

6 Likes

It means the same thing it’s always meant, there’s just not much of it left.

3 Likes

I think the term is accurate, and agree with you too, good post.

3 Likes

Completely agree. Well said.