First Weight Belt

So I got to the point where I need to do weighted dips if I want to keep them in my training program. I’m looking to buy a weight belt but like the title implies this is my first one. Anything I should look for to make sure I get a decent belt? Also it seems some are made out of leather material while others are some sort of softer stuff. Is that something I should avoid? Thanks

Weighted dips and a weight belt are 2 different things. Are you looking for a dip belt or a traditional back belt? Either way, you can’t go wrong with anything from elitefts.com.

Oh I didn’t realize they were different. I always just thought you hung a weight from a weight belt, rather than have a specific belt for weighted dips. I guess now I should prlly get a dip belt, unless their is some other benefit to having the weight belt instead. Thanks for the info though and I’ll def check out that site.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Oh I didn’t realize they were different. I always just thought you hung a weight from a weight belt, rather than have a specific belt for weighted dips. I guess now I should prlly get a dip belt, unless their is some other benefit to having the weight belt instead. Thanks for the info though and I’ll def check out that site.[/quote]

I think Mateus means something like this by weight belt:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=5506

as opposed to something like this by dip belt:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=299&pid=3166

You want the latter. Anything that lets you pile on weight and doesn’t feel too uncomfortable is great. Poliquin used to have his athletes use climbing harnesses. Alpha used a chain and a carabiner with ridiculous weights. I used a braided rope and a carabiner until I slipped a strap through a cut off fire hose which I’ve been using ever since with as much as 3 plates. Anything works. But a good dip belt is probably best.

Thanks that is the one I’ll prlly end up getting. Just out of curiosity what is the reason for a weight belt? My belief is that they are for keeping your lower back stable during heavy lifts but I may be wrong.

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Thanks that is the one I’ll prlly end up getting. Just out of curiosity what is the reason for a weight belt? My belief is that they are for keeping your lower back stable during heavy lifts but I may be wrong. [/quote]
Yes. And being able to lift about 50 pounds more with safe form can lead to quite a bit of leg growth in the long run.