First Timer Pics, Criticism Welcome

Unfortunately I have a long way to go still. Here is my progress thus far. Keep in mind this is the first time i’ve ever done anything remotely like this. I would have hired someone, but when I heard the 6000 dollar labor cost I had to laugh. Let the bashing begin :slight_smile:

Was has it cost you so far?

900 sq ft of hardwood plank and the adhesive ran up about 5500. Paint/rollers/brushes was another 260 or so (ceiling and walls)

I’m seeing a massive imbalance between your left and right sides

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
900 sq ft of hardwood plank and the adhesive ran up about 5500. Paint/rollers/brushes was another 260 or so (ceiling and walls)[/quote]

Solid hardwood or a pre-finished laminate i.e Pergo, etc.?

And did you consider the floating type wood flooring where it all snaps together, toungue and groove, no adhesive needed? My parents redid their kitchen using it last year, took less than a day on the floor.

You better get some mats for that floor. 45’s will do a number on that finish.
Looks nice. I like the natural light, open space and cool breezy atmosphere.

Classy. Give us an update shot when you are done.

Dude, aren’t you going to mark up that beautiful floor doing deadlifts? Oh wait… that’s not your home gym?

[quote]danreeves1973 wrote:
JohnGalt wrote:
900 sq ft of hardwood plank and the adhesive ran up about 5500. Paint/rollers/brushes was another 260 or so (ceiling and walls)

Solid hardwood or a pre-finished laminate i.e Pergo, etc.?

And did you consider the floating type wood flooring where it all snaps together, toungue and groove, no adhesive needed? My parents redid their kitchen using it last year, took less than a day on the floor.[/quote]

It’s pre-finished engineered hardwood; pergo lacks a lot of the interesting grain patterns which make wood attractive. The stuff is tongue and groove, but you are supposed to glue it down as well.

My house got all sorts of messed up during the hurricane season last august. Just now starting to get the pieces back together. We had a horrible roof leak that shorted most of the lights and phone, ruined the cealing drywall and rotted the carpet.

The roof was just redone, but unfortunately the “reputable” company we chose used an inexperienced and materials that werent up to code. It failed county inspection and looks pretty crappy for $34,000.

As for the deadlifts, the weights are in another room and on cement atm :slight_smile:

Hope you dont have young children still…you’re gonna have one scratched up floor.

Other than that, I’m jealous. Hardwood floors are the best outside of the scratching and mainteance. I hope you know what you’re doing with it though. You do have to allow some amount of room for the floor to expand and contract since wood does that. Hot and cool weather. No wonder some projects people start on look like crap after a few years.

Looks great man.

[quote]Tank53 wrote:
Hope you dont have young children still…you’re gonna have one scratched up floor.

Other than that, I’m jealous. Hardwood floors are the best outside of the scratching and mainteance. I hope you know what you’re doing with it though. You do have to allow some amount of room for the floor to expand and contract since wood does that. Hot and cool weather. No wonder some projects people start on look like crap after a few years.

Looks great man.[/quote]

Thanks. I was aware of the expanding thing though, so it’s already taken care of. I’m installing it for my mom actually (i’m only 21 and still in school), but I do have a 4 year old brother. Worst case scenario I sand it down and refinish it in a few years.