T Nation

First Time with a Gym Memebership.

So I got a gym memebership this past Friday. All the previous years I’ve been lifting in my bedroom. As of recently I have felt that I’ve out grown my weight set at home, and felt like I needed an upgrade to further my progress.

My buddy Matt’s dad owns the gym. Matt is a year older than me and is one of the biggest people I’ve seen. The kid is an absolute animal. His training partner is a guy in his 20’s who’s a beast and Matt is bigger. A nineteen year old with 19 inch guns is truly a freak, but that’s not what I wanted to talk about.

I’m used to walking around campus, or high school, or the gorcery market, or church, or work, or wherever I go and being the biggest guy there, or at least noticable.

I step foot into the gym to train legs Friday at 6pm and am greated with at least 20 guys all in there 30’s, 40’s and even 50’s looking like beasts. There was a plethra of 20 inch arms. I was intimidated.

As I was training two guys warming up made a comment about too many kids being in the gym tonight and I new this was being directed at me and a few other guys. I kept doing my thing because although they may be bigger, they deffinately always weren’t that way and with a quick reality check they would realize that they once started somewhere.

The gym has two room, one where the majority of the equipment lies, plus the cardio station, and is where the bulk of the people lift. However, there is a back room which read something along the line “Only experienced lifter allowed, if you can’t bench over 300 pounds don’t come in.”

I’m going to make my debut in there this monday and do some deadlifts. Although I’m not the biggest guy on the block by far I can hold my own when it comes to lifting heavy.

The point of this is that truly big guys are rare to find. I’ve seen so few in the real world that I can remeber each time and out of the three times I did see them two of the times it was the same guy.

So when you go to the gym and you see 20 big men lifting it is alittle shocking, and really emphasizes to me at least that I have a long way to go and is motivation to get there. I will be the biggest guy in the gym one day. All in all it is a good place to learn and grow.

Lucky bastard.

That’s badass dude. I don’t think I’ve even seen somebody with 20’’ arms in my life. Good luck

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
As I was training two guys warming up made a comment about too many kids being in the gym tonight and I new this was being directed at me and a few other guys. I kept doing my thing because although they may be bigger, they deffinately always weren’t that way and with a quick reality check they would realize that they once started somewhere.
[/quote]

This perturbs me a LOT. I’m down for eliteness to a certain level, but you’re clearly not a dumbass in the gym and clearly not a rookie. Those are the kind of people I DON’T enjoy working out with.

I don’t give a fuck how long you’ve been lifting or what old people think younguns owe them, but as long as you’re busting your ass and giving an effort, shouldn’t there a brotherhood of iron?

Same thing here. I walked into the new gym a couple months ago, and I immediately noticed all the big guys there. I wasn’t really intimidated though…

But I was surprised to see so few guys squatting/deadlifting, and the guys that do it aren’t putting up massive numbers… (usually below 300 pounds)

[quote]SSC wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
As I was training two guys warming up made a comment about too many kids being in the gym tonight and I new this was being directed at me and a few other guys.

I kept doing my thing because although they may be bigger, they deffinately always weren’t that way and with a quick reality check they would realize that they once started somewhere.

This perturbs me a LOT. I’m down for eliteness to a certain level, but you’re clearly not a dumbass in the gym and clearly not a rookie. Those are the kind of people I DON’T enjoy working out with.

I don’t give a fuck how long you’ve been lifting or what old people think younguns owe them, but as long as you’re busting your ass and giving an effort, shouldn’t there a brotherhood of iron?[/quote]

True, and I agree with you to an extent. I have respect for all people that actually get up and make it off of their couch and into the gym. However, I’ve gotten to the point where crowded gyms bother the fuck out of me.

Having to wait for a specific piece of equipment drives me crazy. Especially when the person using it clearly is wasting both my time and their time. Example: high school kids doing cheat-rep barbell curls on the one power rack. I’ve started working out at night just so I don’t have to deal with big crowds.

All time worst was my gym in college. It was on-campus and free for all of the 30,000 students. I love that gym. Its where I got big.

But for the first 2 weeks of every semester, for the first 2 weeks after new years, and for the 2 weeks leading up to spring break the place would get so crowded that I would have to wait in a line to get in.

A fucking line. The gym had to have one of their employees stand at the doorway and bounce. It was one in and one out. Like a damn nightclub. Then once inside, it took an extra 30 minutes to finish my workout just for time spent waiting for equipment and dumbells.

Then when reality would sent in (about two weeks), the gym would return to normal and it would be back to just the regulars.

The point is that although gym memberships are luxury in the sense that you have access to tons of equipment and heavy weights, dealing with idiots gets real, real old after awhile. So I completely understand the attitude of the two guys the OP was referring.

I’d love to find a gym like that around here

and I agree with SCC on that point

[quote]SSC wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

I don’t give a fuck how long you’ve been lifting or what old people think younguns owe them, but as long as you’re busting your ass and giving an effort, shouldn’t there a brotherhood of iron?[/quote]

Well thats what kind of intimidated me. I was there doing my thing, not joking around. Nobody was waiting for equipment yet I have these two guys almost talking shit. I’m sorry I’m not 35 like you having worked out for 20 years. I’m 18 give me a break and I don’t lift bitch weight.

I mean you can be benching 450 pounds, but you still respect the guy benching 315 because you know in most cases that takes some serious effort and no couch potato comes in lifting that shit. It honestly made me feel uncomfortable.

Your lucky man, sounds like a good gym. I reckon the older guys will respect you in time if you are respectful to them. They have probably seen too many guys like you come and go, once you show your serious, and if your a easy bloke to get along with, they will probably do nothing but encourage you.

I know how it feels to be a bit intimidated too. I work at a gym but its in a small town, there are a couple of big guys but I know them well and lift with them. There is another gym in the next town thats owned by the same guys though, and whenever we have work christmas partys, I’m the smallest guy amongst some big ass dudes.

I trained at the other gym on saturday though, and one of them couldnt believe how much size I’d put on in the 6 months or so since I saw him last.

Big guys respect progress, no matter wat level your at, as long as your not a dickhead.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
SSC wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

I don’t give a fuck how long you’ve been lifting or what old people think younguns owe them, but as long as you’re busting your ass and giving an effort, shouldn’t there a brotherhood of iron?

Well thats what kind of intimidated me. I was there doing my thing, not joking around. Nobody was waiting for equipment yet I have these two guys almost talking shit. I’m sorry I’m not 35 like you having worked out for 20 years. I’m 18 give me a break and I don’t lift bitch weight.

I mean you can be benching 450 pounds, but you still respect the guy benching 315 because you know in most cases that takes some serious effort and no couch potato comes in lifting that shit. It honestly made me feel uncomfortable.[/quote]

wow what a bunch of cocks lol, those people are just always looking to pick a fight with someone so u were just there at the wrong time a think yano

[quote]crod266 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
SSC wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

I mean you can be benching 450 pounds, but you still respect the guy benching 315 because you know in most cases that takes some serious effort and no couch potato comes in lifting that shit. It honestly made me feel uncomfortable.

wow what a bunch of cocks lol, those people are just always looking to pick a fight with someone so u were just there at the wrong time a think yano[/quote]

Yeah man guys were dicks, but I’ve been proving myself nonetheless, but honestly have nothing to prove. I can’t wait to be the biggest and strongest guy in there.