T Nation

First Time Powerlifters...

Here’s a great article from Elitefts.com that every beginning powerlifter should read:

“Top 10 Mistakes Novice Lifters Make”
By Matthew Gary

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/novice_lifter_mistakes.htm

  1. Forgetting to count the bar weight.

  2. Walking in front of the projector

  1. Understand your Kilo/Pound conversion chart !!

yep , seen it happen

good article . I made one of those mistakes in my first meet . didnt lock my knees on my 3rd DL . the bar was up all the way after what seemed like 5 minutes of pulling ; but the bar never stalled . I heard the crowd chearing , freaked out when I got the bar all the way up…locked my shoulders…and set it back down before I knew it…three reds

controlling nervousness was a big issue for me . probably wont be as big a deal next time .

Matt definitely knows his stuff, we train at the same gym.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

[quote]tpa wrote:
Great article, thanks for sharing.[/quote]

No problem. I see that a lot of people here are getting ready for their first meet. The more prepared you are for the first one, the better the experience will be.

I remember my first meet was so positive, that I was instantly hooked. As a matter of fact, on the ride home, I was already redesigning my training program for my next one.

Thanks for the link Modi.

Very informative

Modi-

good link, thanks. I see that Matthew Gary is local to MD, and mentioned USNA in that article. I am very close to Annapolis and trying to find out what resources for powerlifting are available in the area. I would love to attend a meet as a spectator sometime soon. If anyone has any info that could help me out, please PM me. thanks

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
Modi-

good link, thanks. I see that Matthew Gary is local to MD, and mentioned USNA in that article. I am very close to Annapolis and trying to find out what resources for powerlifting are available in the area. I would love to attend a meet as a spectator sometime soon. If anyone has any info that could help me out, please PM me. thanks[/quote]

Hey Dez,

From http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421 specifying “All Federations” and “MD”, I come up with:

Powerlifting Nationals
June 2-3 ADAU Hagerstown MD

Maryland Open Bench Press Championships
July 21 USAPL Huntington MD

Larry Garro Memorial
July 22 AAU Baltimore MD

Larry Garro Memorial
August 4 USAPL Baltimore MD

Rick

[quote]rcomito wrote:
dez6485 wrote:
Modi-

good link, thanks. I see that Matthew Gary is local to MD, and mentioned USNA in that article. I am very close to Annapolis and trying to find out what resources for powerlifting are available in the area. I would love to attend a meet as a spectator sometime soon. If anyone has any info that could help me out, please PM me. thanks

Hey Dez,

From http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421 specifying “All Federations” and “MD”, I come up with:

Powerlifting Nationals
June 2-3 ADAU Hagerstown MD

Maryland Open Bench Press Championships
July 21 USAPL Huntington MD

Larry Garro Memorial
July 22 AAU Baltimore MD

Larry Garro Memorial
August 4 USAPL Baltimore MD

Rick
[/quote]

thanks man

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
rcomito wrote:
dez6485 wrote:
Modi-

good link, thanks. I see that Matthew Gary is local to MD, and mentioned USNA in that article. I am very close to Annapolis and trying to find out what resources for powerlifting are available in the area. I would love to attend a meet as a spectator sometime soon. If anyone has any info that could help me out, please PM me. thanks

Hey Dez,

From http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421 specifying “All Federations” and “MD”, I come up with:

Powerlifting Nationals
June 2-3 ADAU Hagerstown MD

Maryland Open Bench Press Championships
July 21 USAPL Huntington MD

Larry Garro Memorial
July 22 AAU Baltimore MD

Larry Garro Memorial
August 4 USAPL Baltimore MD

Rick

thanks man[/quote]

Dez, why don’t you try attending one of those meets, and then talk with the meet director as well as some of the competitors. I’m sure some of them will be local to you, and it seems to me that most PL clubs are happy to bring in new members.

modi-

yea, i read that “top 10 mistakes” article, among other things, a mistake of mine is that i have not yet been to a meet. at the same time, i am not ready to compete, but id definitely love to watch some meets regardless of my intentions in competing.

i know that i wont be in town for that jun 2-3 meet, although id love to go, but i will definitely hit the first one available. and as you said, after all the weights have hit the floor and the chalk has settled, i will ask around and see whats in the area.

seriously, im psyched to go to one. my lifting partner and i are kind of going in different directions right now, but regardless he loves lifting, so itll be a blast for both of us to see im sure.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
modi-

yea, i read that “top 10 mistakes” article, among other things, a mistake of mine is that i have not yet been to a meet. at the same time, i am not ready to compete, but id definitely love to watch some meets regardless of my intentions in competing.

i know that i wont be in town for that jun 2-3 meet, although id love to go, but i will definitely hit the first one available. and as you said, after all the weights have hit the floor and the chalk has settled, i will ask around and see whats in the area.

seriously, im psyched to go to one. my lifting partner and i are kind of going in different directions right now, but regardless he loves lifting, so itll be a blast for both of us to see im sure.[/quote]

Dez, I was guilty of a few of them and still had a great time. I had intended on just going to a meet to watch, so I contacted the meet director. This immediately got the juices flowing. Even though I had missed the entry deadline, he allowed me to sign up via e-mail and pay the day of the meet.

I didn’t have a knowledgable coach going into it, and didn’t really know what the flow of the meet would be like. I think understanding the timing is very valuable as far as warmups and time between attempts.

Oh, and when I signed up it was listed as a push/pull meet, but turned out to be a full PL meet. I had just started squatting again about 2 months before (after a long layoff due to injury), and hadn’t gone heavier than a 5RM lift, so I took my squat attempts pretty conservatively.