First Time on a 'Regimented' Workout

After 8 years in the military, this deployment I decided to finally get on a regimented work out and stick to it…had the chance to do some “juice” but thank god didn’t do it. Don’t ever plan on it either, but I am having a problem with cardio and my weight training routine. Since i started lifting i have put on 10-12 lbs. and my run has extremely suffered…and when i try to get my 2 mile time back under 13 mins My weight lifting and “look” really seems to suffer. I can’t figure it out. I have an awesome partner he guides me through the rough parts where i’m still learning and I have a good supplement stack I take. But this running thing is killing me… any suggestions?

I am on a 4 day split workout

Day 1 Chest/Biceps
Day 2 Back/Triceps
Day 3 Legs/ 1 tricep 1 bicep exercise
Day 4 Shoulders/ Forearms
Day 5 Rest

I do cardio Monday and Friday regardless and sprints on Wednesday.

1 Like

Maybe it’s the diet?

I am taking supplements pretty much to the letter. Protien and BCAA’s as well as creatine. and a daily vitamin. But eating here is touch and go…lots of pasta fish and african meat and potatoes…and thats it no variation.

You can’t have the best of both worlds. Either you get big or you have a good run time. That extra weight will be a burden on your endurance.

If you wanna get better at both, maybe you can switch to a strongman routine.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
You can’t have the best of both worlds. Either you get big or you have a good run time. That extra weight will be a burden on your endurance.

If you wanna get better at both, maybe you can switch to a strongman routine.[/quote]

Yeah, but having a 13 minute time for the 2-mile isn’t a crazy goal. Getting too bulky will prevent you from getting a 10 minute 2 mile time but if you actually do everything right I’m sure you could still run a sub 6:30 mile while carrying 210lbs of jacked, mostly lean mass.

Think of all the great heavyweight fighters through history. They were able to handle the various worlds of fighting, endurance, and being huge.

Sure, you can’t win the State Cross Country Meet and then go win Discus at the State Track meet, but you can still be good at both. Fuck, you might be able to do that. An Olympic decathalete could.

Endurance (Conditioning), Mobility, and Strength can and should all exist in some athletes program. When you can’t have “the best of both worlds” you’ll have reached an obvious point of specialization. So unless you’re competing in marathons and power-lifting meets, you don’t really need to worry about your training.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:

If you wanna get better at both, maybe you can switch to a strongman routine.[/quote]

try gaining slower, and keep running a few times a week, If you make you’re gains slowly and cleanly, you should be able to run at a similar pace.

[quote]SniperM24 wrote:

Day 1 Chest/Biceps
Day 2 Back/Triceps
Day 5 Rest

I do cardio Monday and Friday regardless and sprints on Wednesday.[/quote]

This has nothing to do with your problem (or does it? i don’t know)
How can you sufficiently stimulate the back, if you are working your biceps the day before? I don’t like your split. just try switching up your routine, try TBT, or an Upper/Lower, or a Push/Pull. And take more non-consecutive rest days. Like 2 days on, 1 day off.

[quote]PozzSka wrote:
SniperM24 wrote:

Day 1 Chest/Biceps
Day 2 Back/Triceps
Day 5 Rest

I do cardio Monday and Friday regardless and sprints on Wednesday.

This has nothing to do with your problem (or does it? i don’t know)
How can you sufficiently stimulate the back, if you are working your biceps the day before? I don’t like your split. just try switching up your routine, try TBT, or an Upper/Lower, or a Push/Pull. And take more non-consecutive rest days. Like 2 days on, 1 day off.[/quote].

My routine has kinda evolved into this…we have limited equipment to use here… basically dumbbells, a bench, squat rack and cable machine and thats it…and the cable machine really sucks. And we are very limited in equipment and accessories we can get here because of weight limits in the mail.

Just my $.02…

I’d do away with the split for a training cycle or two. Since you’re running Mon/Wed/Fri, do a full body power routine on Tues/Thur/Sat and rest Sunday.

Been there.

[quote]nordikelt wrote:
Just my $.02…

I’d do away with the split for a training cycle or two. Since you’re running Mon/Wed/Fri, do a full body power routine on Tues/Thur/Sat and rest Sunday.

Been there.[/quote]

Any recommendations on the best full body program?

For a beginner, Starting Strength is best but for someone who’s been training a while, try MadCow’s 5x5 based on Bill Starr’s program. Do you need a link?