First Time Muay Thai

Then what the hell are you doing on this website 1 and 2 How did those heavy weight fighters with bigger muscles obtain the bigger muscles? Hopes and dreams? They do train for hypertrophy and eat for it which is…wait for it…bodybuilding. All three guys in the above videos bodybuild AND do their chosen martial arts/sports.

[quote]Typhoon wrote:

Then what the hell are you doing on this website 1 and 2 How did those heavy weight fighters with bigger muscles obtain the bigger muscles? Hopes and dreams? They do train for hypertrophy and eat for it which is…wait for it…bodybuilding. All three guys in the above videos bodybuild AND do their chosen martial arts/sports. [/quote]

I have several answers for you. First of all, look on youtube, there is one of Mike Tyson’s amateur fights when he was only 16 y.o., and then you get an idea that real heavyweights were being born, and not being made… 2) All of those functional conditioning exercises used in fighters’ routines like battling ropes, explosive pushups, pull ups, medical ball throws, skipping rope etc, etc…in high volume… and heavy bag, pads work with 14- 16 oz gloves + decent diet with enough protein, and believe me, lots of guys with time develop quite muscular looking bodies… of course very functional muscles for fighting in this case… while some of them cannot afford having too much meat on them because they need to fit into weight classes and stay competitive, but you get an idea and differences form bodybuilding.

[quote]Typhoon wrote:

Then what the hell are you doing on this website 1 and 2 How did those heavy weight fighters with bigger muscles obtain the bigger muscles? Hopes and dreams? They do train for hypertrophy and eat for it which is…wait for it…bodybuilding. All three guys in the above videos bodybuild AND do their chosen martial arts/sports. [/quote]

Hey, by the way, showing me those videos of actors and artists doesn’t count:)) I am not 13 y.o who believes in those Shwarzenegger, Stalone… movies, and then goes to kick trees in the park:))

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

[quote]Typhoon wrote:

I have several answers for you. First of all, look on youtube, there is one of Mike Tyson’s amateur fights when he was only 16 y.o., and then you get an idea that real heavyweights were being born, and not being made… 2) All of those functional conditioning exercises used in fighters’ routines like battling ropes, explosive pushups, pull ups, medical ball throws, skipping rope etc, etc…in high volume… and heavy bag, pads work with 14- 16 oz gloves + decent diet with enough protein, and believe me, lots of guys with time develop quite muscular looking bodies… of course very functional muscles for fighting in this case… while some of them cannot afford having too much meat on them because they need to fit into weight classes and stay competitive, but you get an idea and differences form bodybuilding.
[/quote]

Mike Tyson lifted weights…by 16 he was already benching over 400 lbs (As proclaimed by coach). Not to mention the fact that his diet resembled closely that of a bodybuilder on a bulking cycle.

Not a 13 year old kid? Your comments do nothing but prove otherwise. You come off as some unknowledgeable jackass, martial artists wanna be that tells people martial artists at 150-160 lbs. are functional and the bodybuilders can’t do anything. When the fact is almost every heavy weight fighter in any discipline practices bodybuilding. I don’t know of many fighters in the heavy weight category in MMA that don’t do bodybuilding and a very large percentage of those guys learn Muay Thai.

To answer the OPs original question. This was your first class and sounds like you did extra drills that most people don’t normally do on the first day. It’s pretty normal to be sore in an area after a class even if the drills were light in contact. It gets better with time.

[quote]Typhoon wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:

[quote]Typhoon wrote:

[/quote]

Mike Tyson lifted weights…by 16 he was already benching over 400 lbs (As proclaimed by coach). Not to mention the fact that his diet resembled closely that of a bodybuilder on a bulking cycle.

Not a 13 year old kid? Your comments do nothing but prove otherwise. You come off as some unknowledgeable jackass, martial artists wanna be that tells people martial artists at 150-160 lbs. are functional and the bodybuilders can’t do anything. When the fact is almost every heavy weight fighter in any discipline practices bodybuilding. I don’t know of many fighters in the heavy weight category in MMA that don’t do bodybuilding and a very large percentage of those guys learn Muay Thai.

To answer the OPs original question. This was your first class and sounds like you did extra drills that most people don’t normally do on the first day. It’s pretty normal to be sore in an area after a class even if the drills were light in contact. It gets better with time.[/quote]

I would appreciate if you point me to the link with reliable information that Tyson did bodybuilding… I know that Cus D’amato and other coaches didn’t allow him to lift anything heavy at all, and just people say that he lifted weights here and there when he was already in jail, and there is one video Tyson lifting some not very heavy weights in a commercial gym when his boxing career was already over. I know MMA fighters brothers Emelianenko say they lift weights, but they don’t look like they do at all, and after watching lots of videos about their training I am still yet to see them lifting, so no one knows… when I was in a boxing team we didn’t lift any weights because it wasn’t part of our training. In muay thai camps in Thailand no one does bodybuilding, and no one has doubts that they know what they are doing in their training. However, I have lifted heavy weights quite seriously at two stages in my life, and actually was involved and liked it a lot. Now I don’t lift heavy barbells because I work out different ways and on other things.

I have nothing against bodybuilders, and I have close friends who are real bodybuilders… So, even though you don’t like it, I know what I am talking about. Some bodybuilders who manage to find some spare time for other routines are slightly more functional that those who can’t find time for that, but in general bodybuilding doesn’t get along well with martial arts…

I was so hoping we could have another discussion about whether weightlifting/bodybuilding is useful for fighters. That hasn’t been done to death on this board at all and is completely relevant to the topic…

[quote]batman730 wrote:
I was so hoping we could have another discussion about whether weightlifting/bodybuilding is useful for fighters. That hasn’t been done to death on this board at all and is completely relevant to the topic…[/quote]

Very well PMED.

[quote]batman730 wrote:
I was so hoping we could have another discussion about whether weightlifting/bodybuilding is useful for fighters. That hasn’t been done to death on this board at all and is completely relevant to the topic…[/quote]

Agreed.

This is the Combat Forum, which in simple terms, means people discussing various styles and methods of fighting, either for sport, combat, or street defense.

There appear to be many avenues here on this website to discuss bodybuilding and powerlifting. This isnt the bodybuilding “lite” forum. So, I am sure you can find an outlet for your barbell questions, but, IT IS NOT THIS FORUM. The OP asked a question concerning MT TRAINING, not your opinion on what works and what doesnt, whether you should lift or not, but, a question on TRAINING. Take your bodybuilding questions and opinions to the correct forum.

Just felt like quoting a friend (athletic, 5’11 150lbs dude, been training MA for most of his life, doing Muay Thai now):

“So I guess Germany’s been breeding super soldiers in the past few years. Just got my ass handed to me by some guy who’s pushing 2 meters (I seriously think he was 2 meters) and weighed 98 kgs of full on muscle. Not to mention he was fucking clean as hell, beautiful technique. It was like a German Sagat… I’m just happy to have lasted 5 rounds against him and sparred someone normal after. Feel like I got hit by a truck…”

But yeah, anybody who’s heavier than 180 will be a punching bag in the ring.

[quote]idaho wrote:

[quote]batman730 wrote:

Agreed.

This is the Combat Forum, which in simple terms, means people discussing various styles and methods of fighting, either for sport, combat, or street defense.

There appear to be many avenues here on this website to discuss bodybuilding and powerlifting. This isnt the bodybuilding “lite” forum. So, I am sure you can find an outlet for your barbell questions, but, IT IS NOT THIS FORUM. The OP asked a question concerning MT TRAINING, not your opinion on what works and what doesnt, whether you should lift or not, but, a question on TRAINING. Take your bodybuilding questions and opinions to the correct forum. [/quote]

…or failing that, at the very least take it to on of the 3-4 threads active on this board a any given time about if fighters should lift and how. However, I think I prefer your suggestion.

I’m not sure what muscle body builders train that improves their ability to whine, but hypertrophy is definitely being achieved in that respect. Some of these big guys make like lifting weights is the fucking silver bullet of all sporting shortcomings.

Returning to the op, when I started doing martial arts it was Whin chun Kung fu. The first day I tried it I nearly puked from all the push ups. Some people argued that the instructor went too far. In reality, he showed me what I could expect and what my short coming was. The school eased us into sparring and if you felt like shit, you could sit down. Ultimately I craved more sparring and left, but had I just been bludgeoned first day in I might not be continuing my families boxing tradition and would never have done Muay Thai in Thailand. A rewarding future in martial arts, rgardless of level or career aspirations, should be the result of your first impression. Not a bust up shin and black eye. Bust up shins and black eyes are for later.