First Time Muay Thai

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Antonio. B wrote:
I don’t want to discourage you my friend… but learning muay thai techniques for you will be just waisting time… with your body weight and experience lifting heavy weights forget about MT… However, you can still be a decent fighter on the street if you really want to, you just have to find your own style that suits your huge muscular body… basically all you need just to be mean, practice defend your chin with elbows, and a quick explosive move forward in order to grab your opponent, then headbutt and by using your big mass and strength take him down on the ground and so on…

actually, some aikido lessons might also help you, I know some huge bouncers have been taught basic aikido stuff quite successfully. While sambo, BJJ, boxing, muay thai isn’t for you… but you can still win against them in the street fight with no rules, especially if they are at least 45 pounds lighter than you. You just have to have a fighters spirit in yourself and be mean when it needed… Powerlifting and bodybuilding aren’t that useless for a street fight as some people would think, you just have to be a fighter in yourself and have desire to crush your opponent. But in any circumstances don’t go to exchange punches or kicks - that will be unpleasant experience for you. Just ask your friend to punch you a little and kick you, so you can practice that elbow defense and slightly get used to kicks.

Hope my advice will will help you. [/quote]

He’s not trying to become a street fighter, he started MT out of interest and for conditioning purposes. But good to see you read the initial post.
[/quote]

Indeed. Not everybody takes up combat sports because they want to be the baddest mo fo around in the highly unlikely event of a street fight.

Here is a link to a thread that opens with a video that is one of the more inspirational, uplifting things I’ve seen posted on this board. I would encourage Dahollow and anyone else in need of a “pep talk” to give it a watch,

Cliche as it sounds, at the end of the day the real battles are fought and won inside ourselves.