First Time Meet #'s

…akward title, but I digress:

I’m really starting to get interested in powerlifting and over the past 18 months have discovered my body is designed more for short bursts of power instead of endurance type work.

Curious - for a 180 pound male, what lifts should one shoot for before even considering entering a meet?

I currently have 1 rep maxes of:

Squat: 325
Deadlift: 425
Bench: 255

Interested in what they should be before I consider humiliating myself.

Thanks fellas and fellettes.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:

[/quote]

Well since your lifts are at/better than mine for my first meet in January, I think you should be fine!

But don’t underestimate humiliation, it provides entertainment for everyone else. :slight_smile:

As for meets, I’ve attached a link to the Ontario ones. I’m planning on doing the April meet in St. Thomas, Court was going to as well, but she wimped out (you can tell her I said that).

http://www.ontariopowerlifting.org/

so i looked at the local meets and my weight class, and figured i need about 80-100lbs on all my lifts if i want to place decently.

5"10 205lbs
255 bench
365 squat
435 deadlift

[quote]schultzie wrote:
so i looked at the local meets and my weight class, and figured i need about 80-100lbs on all my lifts if i want to place decently.

5"10 205lbs
255 bench
365 squat
435 deadlift[/quote]

Remember, the CPU allows single-ply. Generally whomever won was competing equipted. However, at the Niagara meet there were a lot of 1st/snd time competitors competing raw.

Seriously, don’t worry about where you’d place, just get out and compete.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
NeelyDan wrote:

Well since your lifts are at/better than mine for my first meet in January, I think you should be fine!

But don’t underestimate humiliation, it provides entertainment for everyone else. :slight_smile:

As for meets, I’ve attached a link to the Ontario ones. I’m planning on doing the April meet in St. Thomas, Court was going to as well, but she wimped out (you can tell her I said that).

http://www.ontariopowerlifting.org/
[/quote]

Dan, you have to do that meet. I won’t be doing it since it’s only a few weeks after nationals but I’ll likely go to watch. If either of you need anyone to run your numbers or smack you in the face pre-lifting (be your handler) I’m available.

these are with a belt and wraps.

so you think i should compete? i feel like all my muscle is hypertrophy and not fast twitch, like im all puffed wheat muscle. I’m actually decently lean and my thighs are close to 28" but i can’t even squat 2x bw.

…in April? Ohhh I dunno…I’m soooo green…if you asked me why a powerlifter arches when they bench, I couldn’t tell you - that’s how green.

I might be better suited learning the ropes a little before going in half ass to something.

btw thanks for the link rugger

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
…in April? Ohhh I dunno…I’m soooo green…if you asked me why a powerlifter arches when they bench, I couldn’t tell you - that’s how green.

I might be better suited learning the ropes a little before going in half ass to something.[/quote]

Half assing it’s the way to go!

I only decided to compete ~5 weeks out from last meet and I was not anywhere near at my best at that point.

Seriously think about it, it’s not until April 25th, so a full 7 weeks from today.

BTW- the arch just reduces the range of motion in the bench allowing you to lift more. Lot’s of people’s arches suck.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
these are with a belt and wraps.

so you think i should compete? i feel like all my muscle is hypertrophy and not fast twitch, like im all puffed wheat muscle. I’m actually decently lean and my thighs are close to 28" but i can’t even squat 2x bw.[/quote]

I love that!

Where are you at schultie?

The way I look at it is, if you compete and hate it then you know it’s not for you and you wasted a day. If you love it, then you have your first meet under your belt and you’re ready to progress.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
NeelyDan wrote:

BTW- the arch just reduces the range of motion in the bench allowing you to lift more. Lot’s of people’s arches suck.[/quote]

I thought it was because it made your boobs look bigger. See you don’t have to know why.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:

I might be better suited learning the ropes a little before going in half ass to something.[/quote]

First off, Rugger - You’re a dick.

Secondly, if you’re interested, start doing more days at Burlington and I can help if you want. I likely will not be competing in St. Thomas, however I too am willing to help you get prepared and be your handler.

C’mon Dan. Do it. I can hear chanting: Neely, neely, neely.

Don’t think about it too much. We can show you the ropes and let you know what the rules are and what you need to do.

You’ve had two (somewhat) attractive women offer to be your handlers. Ask anyone else if that isn’t a damn good offer.

Rugger, the same goes for you. Not the rules/training but if you need a handler in St. Thomas, let me know.

i live in K-W and train at the AR Kauffman YMCA lol. One power rack. 20 bucks a month.

OOO OOOh! All Canadian posts so far, go Canada!

I have nothing to say, just thought I’d drop by…

…that will be all, carry on.

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
OOO OOOh! All Canadian posts so far, go Canada!

I have nothing to say, just thought I’d drop by…

…that will be all, carry on.[/quote]

Actually, it was all Ontario posts until you showed up. Damn outsiders.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

Rugger, the same goes for you. Not the rules/training but if you need a handler in St. Thomas, let me know. [/quote]

You can handle Rugger. I’ll just scowl at him and spit in his direction :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Court wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

Rugger, the same goes for you. Not the rules/training but if you need a handler in St. Thomas, let me know.

You can handle Rugger. I’ll just scowl at him and spit in his direction :P[/quote]

So much anger.

It’s probably for the best though since I’d probably find my chalk was replaced with baby powder and vise verse once I got to the deadlift… assuming I don’t get taken out at the knees during the squat.