T Nation

First Time Doing SGHP

I done some snatch grip high pulls from the hang for the first time yesterday, just staying light with 60kgs/132lbs to get the technique correct. I done 20 sets of 3 and iam sore to say the least. My lateral delts are nicely sore but my traps, especially upper traps and the back of my neck are sore to touch which is great as i love sore traps.

Something i wasnt expecting though was my biceps, brachialis and brachioradialis are sore. Does that mean i was pulling with my arms too much? Any thoughts off anyone who has done them would be appreciated.

I am pretty happy its not just me that tried them out after reading the article yesterday and I am equally happy that its not just my upper back feels like its been set on fire, its always nice to share after all, for reference I built up using sets of 4 to 60K from just the bar to practice the technique.

Unfortunately I am not much help as its pretty much just my back that’s feeling it today, but I will be interested to see what anyone with more experience has to say, Sorry for adding my 2p because it doesn’t really help.

[quote]jose969 wrote:
I am pretty happy its not just me that tried them out after reading the article yesterday and I am equally happy that its not just my upper back feels like its been set on fire, its always nice to share after all, for reference I built up using sets of 4 to 60K from just the bar to practice the technique.

Unfortunately I am not much help as its pretty much just my back that’s feeling it today, but I will be interested to see what anyone with more experience has to say, Sorry for adding my 2p because it doesn’t really help.[/quote]

Thanks for replying. Its mainly my traps and upper back/delts that are most sore but my legs are a bit sore as well but i squatted before hand so im not sure how much is off that. My calves are sore though which must be from the pulls as i never get sore calves squatting.

You don’t want any biceps soreness when doing high pulls. That indicates pulling too early with the arms (before the lower body launched the bar upward) and this could result in an injury (slight tear or tendonitis over time).

Even when I do in the 170-180kg range I don’t feel it in the biceps at all.

As I started to get the technique down, I actually started to feel soreness in my calves, glutes and hamstrings. I had no olympic lifting experience prior to this point, so it took me awhile to learn how to get triple extension at the hips, knees and ankles.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
You don’t want any biceps soreness when doing high pulls. That indicates pulling too early with the arms (before the lower body launched the bar upward) and this could result in an injury (slight tear or tendonitis over time).

Even when I do in the 170-180kg range I don’t feel it in the biceps at all.[/quote]

Thank you for the reply CT ill work on my technique.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
As I started to get the technique down, I actually started to feel soreness in my calves, glutes and hamstrings. I had no olympic lifting experience prior to this point, so it took me awhile to learn how to get triple extension at the hips, knees and ankles.[/quote]

This… And another way to tell when you are using the right technique is that you will start moving much more weight rather quickly. When I started using my lower body correctly my numbers moved up fast.

CT wasn’t joking when he said the “throwing the chest to the ceiling” cue will instantly add 40lb to your SGHP, I added 20kg in one day after playing around with the exercise for a few weeks. My main mistake at first was trying to do it more like a power/cheated upright row which gave me pumps and soreness on my brachialis the next day.

Try searching for SGHP on this site, there are a lot of threads with videos where members asked for their form to be checked, I made a lot of the same mistakes as some of them did.