First Time 5/3/1 BBB

Found out about this from Steez. Starting the program today.

Squat 1RM 405/TM=365
Dead 1RM 465/TM=420
Bench 1RM 365/TM=330
MPress 1RM 165/TM=150

6"
205lbs
Sit around 8-10% BF

I like the 4 Day routine during the week with Wednesday off as Wendler described in the book. Upper Chest and Back thickness are some lagging areas I’d like to fix during this program so I’ll probably tweak the 5x10’s to incline for chest and t-bar for deadlift day.

Other than that, open to suggestions or some insight others have had if they’ve already ran this training program. Size would be an added benefit, but really I’m looking for some increase in numbers throughout the lifts mentioned. Mainly my press and squat which both suck IMO.

-Cheers

Two observations:

1. I wouldn’t go substituting any exercises until you try the program. The 5x10 sets are based on percentages, so you would have to know your TM for the incline press and the T-bar row. In my opinion, using percentages on the t-bar row is flawed because it’s an easily cheated movement from momentum.

2. If strength is your main desire, this is not the 5/3/1 template for you. The 5x10 sets are difficult to recover from after a few weeks, thus your strength sets will likely suffer a bit, which makes sense since this program is called Boring But BIG. I am not saying that you will not get stronger on this program, but it’s not necessarily designed for it.

If I were you, I would pick a standard 5/3/1 template and go at it. Leave BBB for when you are ready to grow and let your strength just coast for a while.

[quote]JoeyWaters wrote:
Two observations:

1. I wouldn’t go substituting any exercises until you try the program. The 5x10 sets are based on percentages, so you would have to know your TM for the incline press and the T-bar row. In my opinion, using percentages on the t-bar row is flawed because it’s an easily cheated movement from momentum.

2. If strength is your main desire, this is not the 5/3/1 template for you. The 5x10 sets are difficult to recover from after a few weeks, thus your strength sets will likely suffer a bit, which makes sense since this program is called Boring But BIG. I am not saying that you will not get stronger on this program, but it’s not necessarily designed for it.

If I were you, I would pick a standard 5/3/1 template and go at it. Leave BBB for when you are ready to grow and let your strength just coast for a while. [/quote]

Good Input, I’ve already hit today’s workout at lunch so I’ll finish out this week with BBB. If recovery becomes an issue as you say I’ll switch templates.

In regards to the incline/t-bar, yeah in hindsight it seems pretty jackass to start messing around with something I haven’t even accomplished yet so I’ll wait it out and see what improvements come.

-Cheers

[quote]Shrekt wrote:

I like the 4 Day routine during the week with Wednesday off as Wendler described in the book. Upper Chest and Back thickness are some lagging areas I’d like to fix during this program so I’ll probably tweak the 5x10’s to incline for chest and t-bar for deadlift day.

Other than that, open to suggestions or some insight others have had if they’ve already ran this training program. Size would be an added benefit, but really I’m looking for some increase in numbers throughout the lifts mentioned. Mainly my press and squat which both suck IMO.

-Cheers[/quote]

I see nothing wrong with doing inclines and t-bar rows. If those are lagging area’s, 5x10 is a sufficient amount of volume to bring them up to speed. I would estimate a 1RM and go from there. It’s just accessory work, don’t stress about it too much.