T Nation

First Supplement...

I've been weight training off and on the past few years but have stuck to a routine consistently for the past 6 months. I've been doing a version of the Waterbury method (3 days a week) and so far it has worked out well. The only thing I've taken to this date is Whey Protein and L-Glutamine on lift days. I'm sure there is more I could be taking, just not sure where to start.

Any advice would be appreciated.

… if you really feel like you need the next supplement in line i would say that would have to be creatine or BCAA’s

Use the Whey Protien for right after workouts or first thing in the morning when you need to get protien in you quick. Use a slower digesting protien at night like a Casein or Casein blend. If you are a hard gainer like me or find it difficult to eat enough calories due to schedule get a mass protien powder also. I don’t eat enough carbs in my diet so this helps. Also I would suggest taking ZMA at night to help you sleep and your body to recover. There are tons of options in addition to what you are taking. I will list a few suplements I use regularly.

1. Fish Oil: Essential fat. Keeps joints lubed, heart running well
  2. Flax Seed Oil: Another essential fat
  3. Biotest Superfood: Equivalent of 10 servings of fruits and vegetables. I mix it in yogurt to hide the taste.
  4. 4 Amino Acids with each meal
  5. A Nitric Oxide Supplement to get a good pump during workout and allow more nutrients to flow to the muscles.
  6. L-Lysine: an essential Amino not produced by the body (empty stomach)
  7. L-Carnitine and Acetyl L-Carnitine (with meals)
  8. Creatine. (after workouts)

If all your macro-bases (cals and prot intake) are covered, the next basic step would be a simple creatine product. New trainers usually respond well to that, and although a lot of your ‘new muscle’ will be water weight, you will be able to train harder and heavier.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
If all your macro-bases (cals and prot intake) are covered, the next basic step would be a simple creatine product. New trainers usually respond well to that, and although a lot of your ‘new muscle’ will be water weight, you will be able to train harder and heavier.

S
[/quote]

This I have heard, which is also why I was told to stay away from creatine (water weight). I was also told a lot of brands have way too much sugar and carbs in the mix as well. Either way, if I can train heavier I’ll try it out. Any recommendations for creatine?

I think that creatine is your best bet. It’s by far the biggest bang for your buck supplement for all phases of training (caffeine matches creatine’s bang for your buck when it comes to cutting). If you’re going to get creatine though, do yourself a favor and get creapure. Cheap creatine can be a nasty thing.

[quote]Jeeper6262 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

This I have heard, which is also why I was told to stay away from creatine (water weight). I was also told a lot of brands have way too much sugar and carbs in the mix as well. Either way, if I can train heavier I’ll try it out. Any recommendations for creatine? [/quote]

[quote]Jeeper6262 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

This I have heard, which is also why I was told to stay away from creatine (water weight). I was also told a lot of brands have way too much sugar and carbs in the mix as well. Either way, if I can train heavier I’ll try it out. Any recommendations for creatine? [/quote]

You don’t need to buy a Creatine with sugars in it, any food will create an insulin spike which will allow the creatine to be absorbed. I toss 5g of the very basic Biotest German Micronized Creatine into my PWO Whey Shake, and that’s it. Simple, Effective, and Inexpensive.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Jeeper6262 wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

This I have heard, which is also why I was told to stay away from creatine (water weight). I was also told a lot of brands have way too much sugar and carbs in the mix as well. Either way, if I can train heavier I’ll try it out. Any recommendations for creatine?

You don’t need to buy a Creatine with sugars in it, any food will create an insulin spike which will allow the creatine to be absorbed. I toss 5g of the very basic Biotest German Micronized Creatine into my PWO Whey Shake, and that’s it. Simple, Effective, and Inexpensive.

S
[/quote]

Right. I didn’t want all of the sugars and other junk. My buddy has used cell-tech in the past and was tellin me to give it a try. I don’t know much about it but from what I’m hearing it’s not the way to go.

That’s the very last thing you need -lol, 75g of pure sugar per serving… oh you’ll gain 10lbs in a week alright!

S

Micronized creatine. Look for a label that says CreaPure.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
Micronized creatine. Look for a label that says CreaPure. [/quote]

Agreed.

Buy the stuff sold through this site.