First Streetbike

Getting my first bike this weekend, wanted to get some opinions.

Have the option to get a ninja 250, 2007 less then 500 miles for around 2700 dollars

Or

A 2003 Ninja 600 with a lil over 6000 miles for 3500 dollars.

The 600 is sick but i am leaning towards the 250 since it is my first bike. I have been riding dirtbikes my whole life, but nothing bigger than a 150, so i am a little hesitant on the 600, any opinions?

Side note, what is a good bike lock?

Heres the deal if your comfertable on motorcycles already than get the bigger bike.I would even lean toward the bigger bike if you werent experienced.

I rode dirtbikes when I was younger but learned how to ride crothrockets on a TL 1000 and I wouldnt buy anything smaller than a 1000.Streetbikes are easy to ride and since you can ride already your gonna get comfertable on the bike quick so get the bigger bike.

I bought a suzuki 500…sold it in two months because i got bored. I then got an R6…i loved that bike. The 500 did get me ready for the R6…but i probably could have saved some cash if i went to the R6 right away.

Just go get the 600 and baby it. Just because it’s a rocket doesn’t mean you have to drive around like a maniac. Power is relatively low before 10K rpm anyways…so putt around and get used to the throttle and braking. I have several friends start on the 600 and they have not dropped yet.

I’d stay clear of the thou for your first bike, they are a huge step up from a 600 and you can get in trouble really quickly if you make a mistake. 600’s are way more forgiving in that sense.

shit, i wanna buy a bike too.

Get the bigger one. Like the others said, you will get bored. I worked my way up from a 175 to a 250 to a 550 to my current 84 Suzuki GS1150. It’s old but it still goes like stink. My parents refused to loan me the money for a Kawasaki 500H2 triple after the 175 died because I was not ready and they were right. That thing would have killed me but if you’ve always road a dirt bike you should be good to go just give yourself time to know your bike. My 2 cents.

Go for the 600 and tell yourself to take it easy.

I bought a 250 for my first bike and regretted it, it still has more than enough go to get you in trouble but its a little buzzy on the freeway, and forget riding 2 up. Besides you end up getting all these girl bike or little bike comments (but more on that later)

Anyway I was so sick of having a little bike I went out and bought A ZX11 for my next one and I love it, I have no problem with it even though its 150 hp 600lb machine. Remember its all in the right hand, I can ride my 1100 slower than I can my 250, in fact I think that on a technical circuit I would be faster on my 250 because of how light it is.

Seriously I would go with the 600 just have it checked out by a mechanic to make sure the forks are damaged from being wheelied or that the engine has had the dog shit ran out of it. (this happens on a lot of 600’s as they are the preferred bike for squids in terms of power/weigh/price/noise/Gixxer appeal.)

Another reason I bought the 1100 is to smoke those little shits without even trying.

I bought my first bike a few weeks ago and ended up getting a 2001 Honda CBR 929. And my only riding experience was taking a safety class. Some people said I might as well get a bigger bike. And some people think I’m insane. It is touchy but I’m doing fine so far.

Just have to be responsible and take some time to get used to it whatever you get.

[quote]1porsche wrote:

I bought a 250 for my first bike and regretted it, it still has more than enough go to get you in trouble but its a little buzzy on the freeway, and forget riding 2 up. Besides you end up getting all these girl bike or little bike comments (but more on that later)

Anyway I was so sick of having a little bike I went out and bought A ZX11 for my next one and I love it, I have no problem with it even though its 150 hp 600lb machine. Remember its all in the right hand, I can ride my 1100 slower than I can my 250, in fact I think that on a technical circuit I would be faster on my 250 because of how light it is.

Seriously I would go with the 600 just have it checked out by a mechanic to make sure the forks are damaged from being wheelied or that the engine has had the dog shit ran out of it. (this happens on a lot of 600’s as they are the preferred bike for squids in terms of power/weigh/price/noise/Gixxer appeal.)

Another reason I bought the 1100 is to smoke those little shits without even trying.[/quote]

lol whats a squid?

[quote]BiscuitChief wrote:
I bought my first bike a few weeks ago and ended up getting a 2001 Honda CBR 929.
[/quote]

A 929 was my first real street bike too. That’s a great bike to start with… very stable and forgiving.

OP: A good bike lock?! There’s no such thing, my friend. If a thief wants your bike he’ll take it. Save your money to buy full coverage insurance.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
1porsche wrote:

Another reason I bought the 1100 is to smoke those little shits without even trying.

lol whats a squid?[/quote]

New guys ride really fast in a straight line then slow tight turn and back on the throttle. They look like squids when they move because theyre not comfterable leaning the bike yet.

[quote]ignignokt wrote:
BiscuitChief wrote:

OP: A good bike lock?! There’s no such thing, my friend. If a thief wants your bike he’ll take it. Save your money to buy full coverage insurance.[/quote]

x1000

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
lol whats a squid?[/quote]

[quote]Superman wrote:

Have the option to get a ninja 250, 2007 less then 500 miles for around 2700 dollars

Or

The 600 is sick but i am leaning towards the 250 since it is my first bike. I have been riding dirtbikes my whole life, but nothing bigger than a 150, so i am a little hesitant on the 600, any opinions?

Side note, what is a good bike lock?[/quote]

I would go with the ZX-6 myself if I were you, the 250 will get rather boring after a few months of riding.

Personally I went for a more relaxed cousin of the 6 and 250, the 650R, it will keep up with the 600 up to about 120mph in the straits but it is more of a touring hybrid bike.

I have a MasterLock combo w/ 6’ braided cable. um here…
http://www.masterlockbike.com/product-detail.shtml?id=428470&catname=Cables&desc=8114D+-+Set+Your+Own+Combination+Cable+Lock&pid=27310

[quote]Superman wrote:

Or

Side note, what is a good bike lock?[/quote]

Do NOT get the biggest fucking bike as your first. I know you will hear that you should from others, but very often these people have dropped their own or they don’t even ride regularly.

I got a 600 as my first bike. I got out all of the kinks on that bike. I now have a CBR1000 and there is no way in hell I would have been ready for that as my first ride. It’s like a rocket compared to the YZFR6.

Lastly, your overall body size has much to do with it as well. If you weigh over 250lbs, getting a 600 WILL get old really fast. It won’t if you only weigh 160.

[quote]Nanan wrote:
http://www.masterlockbike.com/product-detail.shtml?id=428470&catname=Cables&desc=8114D+-+Set+Your+Own+Combination+Cable+Lock&pid=27310
[/quote]

You sir, wasted your money.

[quote]Nanan wrote:

Loading... [/quote]

I wouldn’t trust a bike lock to do anything at all in this city but maybe slow someone down.

[quote]1porsche wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
1porsche wrote:

lol whats a squid?

New guys ride really fast in a straight line then slow tight turn and back on the throttle. They look like squids when they move because theyre not comfterable leaning the bike yet.[/quote]

sounds like me playing Gran Turismo

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Superman wrote:

Or

Side note, what is a good bike lock?

Do NOT get the biggest fucking bike as your first. I know you will hear that you should from others, but very often these people have dropped their own or they don’t even ride regularly.

I got a 600 as my first bike. I got out all of the kinks on that bike. I now have a CBR1000 and there is no way in hell I would have been ready for that as my first ride. It’s like a rocket compared to the YZFR6.

Lastly, your overall body size has much to do with it as well. If you weigh over 250lbs, getting a 600 WILL get old really fast. It won’t if you only weigh 160.[/quote]

I def. Disagree

When I bought the 250 I didnt expect to ride much but once I started riding I couldnt stop but i coulnt afford a bigger bike. I ended up commuting on the 250 when I had a summer internship in detroit. Talk about scary try going 80 (top speed of the 250 is about 100 if you can get it that high) on 94 during rush hour in detroit.

Basically I had to ride it wide open everywhere. A bigger bike would have actually given me more power to avoid giant lifted trucks and busted caddies as well as shovels that fall off landscaping trucks.

The big bikes power is really humbling and you learn really fast to be careful.

You just gotta remember its all you. You control the bike, like I said before I can ride my 100 slower than the 250, in fact its prob easier because of the torque I don’t even have to really rev the 1100 to pull away.

Do what you want but i would start with at least a 600. Just don’t be a squid with some ridiculously loud exhaust wearing just a helmet and t-shirt and shorts. You will actually look full homo.

Too much for a first bike? nah

The 250 will teach you corner speed reading the road to avoid slowing down to much, but if your good off road the 600 may be the one. the 250 gets a good write up here in the UK. Remember keep it on the black stuff.

Cheers Spud

Triumph Tiger.