T Nation

First Squats in 10 Years

I used to workout in College like ages ago, and I have recently gotten back into lifting weights. Though I have been lifting for a few months, this week, I incorporated squats into my routine.

Back in the day, I used to workout with 250-300 on squats. this week, I started with a new compound workout, Dead to Clean, Press to sqaut position, squat and reverse. How much weight did I use? 80lbs. Don’t laugh. Today I’m sore like a mofo. What gives technically? Yeah, I’m out of shape, but with my legs being this sore from working out with 80 lbs, what does that mean exactly?

It means that you’ve completely crapped out on your training for 10 years.

And soreness sets in with most people who’ve been out of the game for a long time. Just continue to squat, and let’s hope muscle memory kicks in.

I took four months off, regrettably, and when I came back my weight numbers had gone down significantly as well as I didn’t have developed support muscles. Like Sick Rick said, it’s just a matter of muscle memory.

My first leg workout day, I couldn’t even walk the next day because I didn’t supplement or eat properly for the recover and over-trained, but now my numbers are back.

Ease into it, don’t slack on that form, develop support muscles and avoid over-training. Good Luck.

[quote]TimothyJamesF wrote:
develop support muscles and avoid over-training.
[/quote]

What do you mean by support muscle? Are these like the stabilizer muscles that do not exist?

[quote]daneq wrote:
What do you mean by support muscle? Are these like the stabilizer muscles that do not exist?
[/quote]

Abdominals are a good core support for your squat movement.

[quote]fraggin wrote:
What gives technically? Yeah, I’m out of shape, but with my legs being this sore from working out with 80 lbs, what does that mean exactly?[/quote]

[quote]fraggin wrote:
…I’m out of shape…[/quote]

You answered your own question.

Why are you doing these full body movements? They’re ideal for fat loss, so the amount of weight is irrelevant. If you’re huffing and puffing after each of the sets you’re getting a good work out.

If you want to get back up to the 300lb squat, then don’t do squat to presses, just do squats. Start with what you can handle and work your way up. The ‘support’ muscles will come along by simply…supporting.