First Powerlifting Meet

One more question for you guys.

Does anybody know if you can actually switch divisions? Looking at the flight list for my first meet, it has me as the only 181 raw competitor in the open division, with no one in the junior division. There are 3 juniors listed at 198 and I would have no problem bumping up a weight class to actually have some competition.

It sure would be nice to be able to enjoy some Taco Bell on the way down to Milwaukee (and a good breakfast the morning of the meet), so I will probably move up to 198 and weigh in around 185 or so.

[quote]Super Mario Bros wrote:
One more question for you guys.

Does anybody know if you can actually switch divisions? Looking at the flight list for my first meet, it has me as the only 181 raw competitor in the open division, with no one in the junior division. There are 3 juniors listed at 198 and I would have no problem bumping up a weight class to actually have some competition.

It sure would be nice to be able to enjoy some Taco Bell on the way down to Milwaukee (and a good breakfast the morning of the meet), so I will probably move up to 198 and weigh in around 185 or so.[/quote]

Sure. Just send the meet director an email to let him know.

We always appreciate knowing about this in advance and if there are already 3 Juniors in that class it shouldn’t effect his awards count, anyway.

Yeah, people move divisions all the time - as long as you’re qualified by age and weight, at this level, it isn’t a problem. Agree with apw, let the meet director know asap.

Thanks guys. I sent him an e-mail.

The meet went pretty well for my first time. Found out I couldn’t wear my chucks because there is a tear in one of the heels so I ended up wearing running shoes for the whole meet.

My lifts went as follows:
Squat (failed 407, forgot to follow the commands lol)-457-(failed 485)
Bench 275-308-325
Deadlift 457-501-(failed 529, 2 reds and I don’t know why, it was locked out with no hitching)

I have never been around so many strong people in my life. The whole meet was a really good time. I won the junior 198 division and weighed just over 184 at the meet.

Gotta lean up just a bit and get some different shoes for the MN meet. I can’t wait for it.

Great job!

Those are some really good numbers. Did you manage to get any videos?

Nice work. That is some good benching for your weight.

Yeah I got some videos but they are in the process of getting uploaded from a friend’s camera that lives in wisconsin. The file size on them is too big to send in an e-mail so we are figuring out how to send them over to me still.

Benching was definitely my best lift that day, it really surprised me. After I hit 308 I just figured hell, let’s just go for it. I absolutely loved the bars they used in that meet.

You put together a very nice meet sir. Unfortunately I was on the other platform so I didn’t get to see any of your lifts. Did you happen to catch any of Jesse Betzinger’s squats?

Thanks. I actually didn’t catch any of the squats on the other platform, but looking at the results I wish I would have! 843 at 242 is sick. I was hardly able to pay attention to my platform let alone look over to the other one. It was hella crowded in there.

Looking at the results it looked like you had a pretty good day as well. 606 for squats is sweet.

Got waylayed on my way there, how did it go?

It went very well. Another beastly guy at 181 went 501-319 then at least 551 (I missed his 3rd deadlift) and broke 3 american junior records, and I went 485-319-545 and bettered 3 of them as well, but he beat me on the 3 I beat (squat, deadlift, total).

Overall I thought it was well run and the lifting was excellent. Unfortunately the 2nd session got started so late I couldn’t stick around to watch the big guys, since I had to get to work.

I am working on getting a little compilation video put together to get some feedback on my lifts.

Thanks. I actually didn’t catch any of the squats on the other platform, but looking at the results I wish I would have! 843 at 242 is sick. I was hardly able to pay attention to my platform let alone look over to the other one. It was hella crowded in there.

Looking at the results it looked like you had a pretty good day as well. 606 for squats is sweet.[/quote]

Yeah Betzinger is a phenomenal lifter. When I saw the way he blew up 782 on his opener, I was absolutely amazed.

Was pretty happy with squats, excited about the work that lies ahead.

Looking forward to checking out your video.

Got it done finally.

Any critiques/suggestions/insults are welcome.

Congratulations with the debut!

Thanks stallion.

I have gotta say that I am stunned more of the “powerlifters” on this forum did not come forward to give you props on your performance. Going over 1300 RAW as a 181 in only your second meet is impressive.

I was particularly impressed with your squat. You handled the weight very easily and your form was very solid.

As a Junior lifter, you have great potential and I only wish you could get some help to get in gear and take a run at Collegiates and the Open.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
I have gotta say that I am stunned more of the “powerlifters” on this forum did not come forward to give you props on your performance. Going over 1300 RAW as a 181 in only your second meet is impressive.

I was particularly impressed with your squat. You handled the weight very easily and your form was very solid.

As a Junior lifter, you have great potential and I only wish you could get some help to get in gear and take a run at Collegiates and the Open.
[/quote]

It is very damn good lifting, even for a veteran powerlifter.

apwsearch, do you see some things he could improve with his deadlift technique? It looks to me as though he lacks leg drive when he initiates the pull and gets his hips through too slowly.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:

[/quote]

Ha, I am more stunned that no one gave me shit for having Dixie Chicks playing in the background.

I kind of wish I would have gone about twenty pounds heavier on the squat. The tuesday before I tried hitting 455 and 485 for singles because they were going to be my first two attempts, but messed up real bad on 485. So I decided to be more conservative because of that.

Getting into some gear would be really fun I think. Seems like most of the best competition is competing geared.

Ha, I am more stunned that no one gave me shit for having Dixie Chicks playing in the background.

[/quote]

Well, I started to but then figured your girlfriend probably edited the video for you…;>