T Nation

First Powerlifting Meet, Oct. 11

Have my first meet coming up Oct 11. Going to post my workouts here and will take any comments or advice. I will be following Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 program. This week is a deload week and next monday I start my contest prep.

Best of luck in your contest eco. Will be keeping an eye on ya.

Dave

Good luck.

All the best man!

Fill us in on how everything is going.

I’m doing my 7th meet around the same time as you, best of luck and keep us in the loop.

Weighed 256 today. No way I’m making the 242 class by Oct 11 and still have any strength. Gonna keep eating clean though-no sugar, whites or booze.

Good plan to just go in as what you weigh for a first comp, or so I’ve been advised. Muck with weight manipulation once you’ve baselined yourself after this comp.

Are you doing the Dover APA meet?

Yep Dover NH.

Now don’t laugh at my numbers I’ve never deep squated until recently. In fact I only did leg press for years, sad to say.
8/15
squat 135x8, 225x5, 275x5, 295x5, 315x5, 405x1,495x0-deep squats
1/4 sqaut 495x5, 545x3, 495x5, 405x5
leg curl 5 sets
sit ups 5 sets

Supposed to be a deload week but I wanted to see what I could full squat. Oh boy I am so much weaker. Very disappointing. My posterior chain is weak.

Great :slight_smile: I will be competing at the same meet.

Claire

i’m doing a competition on the exact same day … but my competition is in Australia.

So what do we have, 8 weeks? This is my first comp too, i’m still not sure what kind of training cycle would work the best, so i’ll be watching what you’re doing with interest :smiley: Has the 5-3-1 Cycle worked for you before?

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Weighed 256 today. No way I’m making the 242 class by Oct 11 and still have any strength. Gonna keep eating clean though-no sugar, whites or booze.[/quote]

i have a meet oct 25th here in MI, and i’m at 254lbs. but im confident i can make 242. my last meet in march i weighed 251, and took 1 day to cut-i weighed in at 239. i just didnt eat/drink anything that thursday(friday weigh in)-9am except for a all green salad and 16 oz of water and spit into a cup all day long.

after weigh inas i was putting clothes back on i have a gallon of gatoraid with 5 scoops of creatine monohydrate and ate 2 meat pizza’s and just kept eating. the day of i weighed 254 and no weight got heavy, went 9 for 9, all pr’s.

some might disagree with this method, but just lettin ya know it can be done and im doin it again this october

Thanks for the info rawdog.
My hip flexibility is lacking. I been stretching every day. So disappointed with my squat.

Just started powerlifting recently. The dead and squat are new within the last 8 mo to a year. But I hope to pull at least 500, hopefully sqaut 500 and bench 390-400. Not impressive but a start.
Good luck in all your meets.

age/wiehgt/lifts can we see?

38 yr old…almost 39
256 lbs
I’ve touch benched 415 before but injured my shoulders. Paused benched 380 a couple weeks ago. Only deadlifted 455 easy. My worry is my squat depth. I can bodybuilder style squat a lot more then i can full squat(obviously).

u only need to break parrallel, just ask the judges to tell u when on ur warmups

[quote]ecogenx wrote:
Thanks for the info rawdog.
My hip flexibility is lacking. I been stretching every day. So disappointed with my squat.

Just started powerlifting recently. The dead and squat are new within the last 8 mo to a year. But I hope to pull at least 500, hopefully sqaut 500 and bench 390-400. Not impressive but a start.
Good luck in all your meets.[/quote]

those numbers are very reachable!!! i’ve have 2 knee surgeries 8 months before the meet i have as my pic. i squated 517 raw, pulled 534 raw. just stay confident. trust your spotters.and if you miss IT ONLY MAKES THE HUNGER Grow!!!.

bignate, great idea about asking the judges during warmups because I train alone at home. I have a mirror to judge my depth but its difficult to see exactly how low I’m going.

You might get a box or something at the right height and squat down until you touch it. The mirror always lies and you’ll be high if you follow it’s feedback. You have to feel where is the right place to turnaround.

8/18
deads 355x5(75%),380x5(80%),405x5(85%)
deads 240(50%) 5 sets 5 reps **
military 175x5(75%),185x5(80%),195x6(85%)
hanging leg raises 5 sets 10 reps

**the workout calls for 5 sets 10 reps with 50% of max. But even with this light weight I had to stop at 5 reps. I hate doing deads for more then 3 reps.