T Nation

First Powerlifting Meet: 1091 Total


#1

Long time follower of this site. Has helped me progress a ton with lifting and programming. Finally decided to make an account and start posting.

A little background about myself.
I'm currently a senior in college. Played three years of college football as a kicker (I know, I know lol), but suffered from two pulled groins and a groin tear and decided that route wasn't for me. Have only been able to squat again for just under a year now with minimal pain.

Going into this meet I had no idea what to expect and really just wanted to do a meet so I could say I did one. I signed up for a 100% Raw meet close to my location and felt it was ran well, at least for my first experience. I ate my way as close to 198 as I could, weighing 196.7 at weigh-ins. Wanted a 400lb squat but my nerves were pretty bad going into squats so I played conservative and stuck with a third attempt of 396.

My bench has just been frustrating for the past two years. I paused 275 the week before this meet and thought I had 280 in me but took to big of a jump and got greedy, trying 281 instead of 275. I've never had a deadlift day like I did at the meet as the heaviest I had ever pulled in training was 405. Overall was an awesome experience and am already looking to find another in the fall after I have a job and am settled somewhere.

Moving forward I think I'm going to take some time and focus on front squats and beltless low-bar squats, wide grip bench and close-grip bench, and beltless deadlifts with more sumo pulls as an accessory. I'm also currently incorporating some running and slightly watching I don't eat complete junk preparing for a cruise that's after graduation, not ideal for powerlifting I know, but taking it as a way to come back bigger in the 198lb class and eventually become competitive in meets.

Any criticism or advice is greatly appreciated, especially for my bench.
Thanks,
Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hy55BiAkg&sns=em


#2

Drinks all around as we celebrate your first posted total!

Congratulations!

Forget the criticisms for now. Bask in it as we all heap kudos upon you. Such as “Holy crap, do you hit depth when you squat!”

Come back later with lift specific questions with video and I’m sure there will be sufficient activity on your behalf.


#3

[quote]emskee wrote:
Drinks all around as we celebrate your first posted total!

Congratulations!

Forget the criticisms for now. Bask in it as we all heap kudos upon you. Such as “Holy crap, do you hit depth when you squat!”

Come back later with lift specific questions with video and I’m sure there will be sufficient activity on your behalf.

[/quote]

Haha thank you! I will be sure too as I move forward from this. I’ve always heard people say to just try one, and I’m hooked now that I have.


#4

[quote]msim198 wrote:
Long time follower of this site. Has helped me progress a ton with lifting and programming. Finally decided to make an account and start posting.

A little background about myself.
I’m currently a senior in college. Played three years of college football as a kicker (I know, I know lol), but suffered from two pulled groins and a groin tear and decided that route wasn’t for me. Have only been able to squat again for just under a year now with minimal pain.

Going into this meet I had no idea what to expect and really just wanted to do a meet so I could say I did one. I signed up for a 100% Raw meet close to my location and felt it was ran well, at least for my first experience. I ate my way as close to 198 as I could, weighing 196.7 at weigh-ins. Wanted a 400lb squat but my nerves were pretty bad going into squats so I played conservative and stuck with a third attempt of 396.

My bench has just been frustrating for the past two years. I paused 275 the week before this meet and thought I had 280 in me but took to big of a jump and got greedy, trying 281 instead of 275. I’ve never had a deadlift day like I did at the meet as the heaviest I had ever pulled in training was 405. Overall was an awesome experience and am already looking to find another in the fall after I have a job and am settled somewhere.

Moving forward I think I’m going to take some time and focus on front squats and beltless low-bar squats, wide grip bench and close-grip bench, and beltless deadlifts with more sumo pulls as an accessory. I’m also currently incorporating some running and slightly watching I don’t eat complete junk preparing for a cruise that’s after graduation, not ideal for powerlifting I know, but taking it as a way to come back bigger in the 198lb class and eventually become competitive in meets.

Any criticism or advice is greatly appreciated, especially for my bench.
Thanks,
Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hy55BiAkg&sns=em[/quote]

Well done dude, hope you enjoyed yourself.


#5

[quote]msim198 wrote:
Any criticism or advice is greatly appreciated, especially for my bench.
Thanks,
Mike[/quote]
Here’s a piece of advice, you’re actually supposed to try on your deadlifts you know :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Great job at your first meet


#6

[quote]msim198 wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:
Drinks all around as we celebrate your first posted total!

Congratulations!

Forget the criticisms for now. Bask in it as we all heap kudos upon you. Such as “Holy crap, do you hit depth when you squat!”

Come back later with lift specific questions with video and I’m sure there will be sufficient activity on your behalf.

[/quote]

Haha thank you! I will be sure too as I move forward from this. I’ve always heard people say to just try one, and I’m hooked now that I have.[/quote]

post total = POWERLIFTER


#7

Nice work! I’m glad you had a good first experience.


#8

@tylerkeen42
I know it completely caught me off guard how fast I was pulling that day!

And thanks everyone, appreciate the responses!


#9

Congratulations! Very nice work for your first meet.


#10

Nice work! I’ve never competed thinking about one later this year.

You definitely had 400 for the squat and more in the dead. Great work!


#11

[quote]heretolog wrote:
Nice work! I’ve never competed thinking about one later this year.

You definitely had 400 for the squat and more in the dead. Great work! [/quote]

Thanks, I would highly advise competing in one!