T Nation

First Powerlifting Competition

Hi, I’m a junior powerlifter entering in the Illinois Open on Saturday, hosted by the ADFPF.
I will be in the 90kg, teen 2 (16-17), unequipped division.
As this will be my first nationally sanctioned meet, I had some questions.

How long does the average meet last?
What is the proper lifting attire for an unequipped lifter?
What should I eat between attempts?
Besides equipment, what should I bring?

Average meet including rule meeting, warm ups , attempts , and awards take about 4-5 hours where im from .
Equipment would be singlet , belt knee/wrist wraps and good lifting shoes .
I like to eat bananas in between each lift along with with a water poweraid mix.
A change of clothing for after the meet , food/drink , and be prepared to handle yourself i.e turn in attempts wrap your own knees etc. if you do not have a coach that is going to be helping you .

Don’t think knee wraps are allowed?

Ye, knee wraps are only allowed in equipped.

I assume you’ve already downloaded and read through this:

http://www.adfpf.org/documents/08adfpfrulebook.doc

So no knee wraps.

Good luck for tomorrow Kev!

[quote]Kevin_Meaux wrote:
Hi, I’m a junior powerlifter entering in the Illinois Open on Saturday, hosted by the ADFPF.
I will be in the 90kg, teen 2 (16-17), unequipped division.
As this will be my first nationally sanctioned meet, I had some questions.

How long does the average meet last?
What is the proper lifting attire for an unequipped lifter?
What should I eat between attempts?
Besides equipment, what should I bring?[/quote]

The average meet coould last anywhere from 5-8 hours id say…if run smoothly and correctly it will go fast…it also depends how many lifters will be there…bring an ipod if you have one, sometimes i like to put my headphones between lift to get into my own little world…i always bring a RedLine with me to sip on throughout the day to keep my energy levels up and a protein shake in a poland spring bottle mixed with water and hershey syrup to up the carbs…and banannas are a great thing to have also like someone said previously…other than than, just have a good time and good luck!!

Eat between attempts and drink. I like granola bars, bananas and watered-down gatorade (mixed about half n’ half). If you can wear knee sleeves on squats, wear them. The will keep your knees feeling good. Good luck.

I don’t know what part of the state you are in, but if you can make it up towards Chicago, Eric Stone puts on a couple great APF meets up there every year. Something to think about for next time.

Thanks guys, it went over well.
I do need a singlet but they let me compete without one.

I opened with
100 kg squat (lowballed it to be sure)
110 kg bench (failed cuz i forgot to wait for the rack call)
150 kg deadlift

My best lifts of the day were
140 kg squat (2nd attempt, went up slow but easy)
110 kg bench (2nd attempt, jumped to 125 on the 3rd and couldnt get it, instead of pacing)
170 kg deadlift (2nd attempt, went up easy)

420 kg total

It was a great meet, and I qualified for nationals and world champs for the adfpf.

I learned a lot and actually found out I’m going too deep on squats.
I think I’m going to nationals in june and I’m gonna apply for the world champs us team for november.

Hey Keven - Congratulations on a great meet.
I hope to hear more great stuff from you.

Rick