First PL Meet in 6 Weeks

[quote]bearshark wrote:
hello everyone

today i did the skills eval, which was supposed to take me up to 95% of the projected 1RM. i ended up “cheating” and pushing my squat to 355, which was 15 pounds more than i was supposed to squat, but then i did 95% for the rest like the program said.

also, wearing a singlet in a commercial gym makes people look funny at you.

the three lifts went well, and i think we’ve resolved the grip issue with my DLs. chalk is magic. i’m attaching a squat video with a buddy of mine giving the commands. then i realised that the angle doesn’t really show the hip joint. but i think it’s pretty clear that i went significantly below parallel.
[/quote]

Thats a pretty solid 345 squat I must say. Very Nice. Dont get self conscious about a singlet in a commercial gym though. Just putting a bar on your back and squatting in a comercial gym gets them looking at you funny

i love ammonia caps, i’ve been using them during training the past couple weeks, i sniff one and feel like i want to hit the closest thing to me, pretty awesome, but i agree with the posts above, would not try it for the first time at a meet.

[quote]2-SCOOPS wrote:
i love ammonia caps, i’ve been using them during training the past couple weeks, i sniff one and feel like i want to hit the closest thing to me, pretty awesome, but i agree with the posts above, would not try it for the first time at a meet.[/quote]

I’ve never used ammonia, but from the responses from the ammonia caps thread, I’d definitely try them in training first. Preferably with someone I trust around ahhaha.

I wonder if any PL newb has whiffed some nosetork before a big lift and just hit the mat at a meet. lol

Nice squat man; you got it good!

lifting in the singlet pre-meet is key.
so is getting the verbal commands from someone who knows whats up.

i love ammonia caps; especially with my f*cked up nose…it really clears things out and gets me going!

your form on that 345 looks really good man. i think you’ll have more than 365 in you come meet day.

thanks for the kind words of encouragement- my next goal for the squat is to get depth right- not too deep, or i might waste a few pounds, not too shallow either. i might use the “elastic tubing across the supports” advice.

ok, not going to use ammonia.

Don’t be afraid to put your singlet on under your regular gym clothes. I find you still get the feel of it but nobody else knows you have it on.

thanks for the advice, everyone. i really appreciate everyone helping a meet virgin out.

spoke to a guy in the gym today who has done a bunch of meets- he’s got a pretty big deadlift too so i figure he’s legit. he said that my squat was good legal form, but almost too deep. as mentioned earlier, i’ll be trying to keep a good depth in order not to sacrifice poundage, but i did 315 X 5 for 2 sets at “shallow” depth, which is USAPL legal according to him.

he says i’m still about 3 inches below parallel, which is good for me in general, but useless depth for the meet. frankly, taking the squat down to “legal” is probably a lot shallower than i think. i’ll be re-calibrating, but not trying to be too shallow either- it’s my first meet anyway.

also, i feel like benching with an arch is not giving me a lot more benefit than regular… anyone has an opinion or common experience with this?

update-

about 9 days out now, no more heavy lifting.

i made some additions to the sheiko cycle, felt that i was not getting enough heavy singles. i threw in an opener single for bench and squat, 10 and 12 days out respectively. yeah, i know a lot less than boris sheiko, but i think i just needed to get a feel of just 90% for a single.

i have all my “gear” now:

APT convict pro 12’ wrist
Elitefts 10mm belt, small
Tommy Kono knee sleeves
singlet
chalk
ipod shuffle
trail mix
gatorade mix
beef jerky
nutella
and a brand new under armour duffel bag, which is a mega upgrade from my safeway shopping bag.

eating normal and training real light, speed and form on every movement.

weight about 168

planned lifts:
SQ: 335 365 385
BP: 225 245 255
DL: 365 405 425

i’m finding it difficult to think about anything else besides the meet. trying to read some books and watch more tv or something.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Boffin wrote:
Good luck! Read this:

Good article.[/quote]

a guy from sugdenbarbell was my spotter at my first raw natural meet I did at the weekend

not impressive numbers to some but managed

175kg on the squat and missed 185kg twice
did 120 then 130kg on the bench and missed 140kg
then pulled 195, 205, 220kg on the deadlift which was a major PR for me and actually felt quite easy

this was all done at a bodyweight of 78kg

must admit theres a big difference between gym lifts strict powerlifting lifts

My gym is having a powerlifting meet next Sunday, so I signed up because, you know, I like to bench, deadlift and squat too. So I came online to look up how to prepare for it and the rules that are going to be in place, and now i’m getting a little nervous. I think i’m going to have a hard time with the bench command. When I’m laying down with a heavy load over me, the closer it gets to my body the more I can’t wait to push it away!

Anyway, thanks for the advice given in this thread. I definately plan on using it and hope that since its just a gym thing, they won’t be mega super strict. I think I’m going to lower the first attempt weight for bench though.

[quote]bearshark wrote:
update-

about 9 days out now, no more heavy lifting.

i made some additions to the sheiko cycle, felt that i was not getting enough heavy singles. i threw in an opener single for bench and squat, 10 and 12 days out respectively. yeah, i know a lot less than boris sheiko, but i think i just needed to get a feel of just 90% for a single.

i have all my “gear” now:

APT convict pro 12’ wrist
Elitefts 10mm belt, small
Tommy Kono knee sleeves
singlet
chalk
ipod shuffle
trail mix
gatorade mix
beef jerky
nutella
and a brand new under armour duffel bag, which is a mega upgrade from my safeway shopping bag.

eating normal and training real light, speed and form on every movement.

weight about 168

planned lifts:
SQ: 335 365 385
BP: 225 245 255
DL: 365 405 425

i’m finding it difficult to think about anything else besides the meet. trying to read some books and watch more tv or something.[/quote]

Looks good, do you have deadlift socks? Also, water isn’t on your list, but you likely wouldn’t forget that.

also, if you can get a friend to go and help out it is worth it. They can also take pictures/videos.

Can’t wait to hear how it goes.

Hello all,

update- weighed in today at 162.9 or 74.0 kg for the metrically inclined. weighed in at 5 pm, meet is tomorrow at 9 am.

i’ll write a little bit more later on dropping water to lose a few pounds, i weigh 169 right now and i feel perfectly fine.

glend- huge lifts- congratulations, and you have some freaking huge thighs dude. must be proud of that, raw and natural.

ruggerlife- we don’t have to have socks, so i’m going to put some talc on.

as it turns out, my buddy who’ll be taking pictures has been shanghaied into becoming the official meet photographer. he’s also my squadron photo-taking-person, so that’s great.

i’ll post something - pictures or a video tomorrow after the meet.

ok, just got back and i’m pretty beat. and by pretty beat i mean i’m going to eat some food, shower off and sleep like i’m dead. the last time i felt this beat was after a 50-mile race.

quick and dirty- 6 for 9, 1015 total at 162.9, which was okay in my book. not that great.

squats: 335 (ATG), 365, 385 i’ll post some video and pictures later, but that 335 was all bottomed out just to be safe.

bench: 225, 245 (miss), 245 (miss)- the second attempt, i felt a major erector cramp on the left side, and decided not to arch for the third attempt. 245 i can do in the gym paused, but the third attempt the bar hit the upright and i didn’t get it.

deadlift: 365, 405, 425 (2 reds). i was really bummed to miss my last lift- it was a technical on repositioning my foot or something, but i got the weight locked out real good. oh well, videos to follow.

great meet, good times, i’ll follow up tonight.

as promised- self glorifying video of my first raw natural meet…

Great meet. That was some pretty sick squatting and deadlifting, especially for your weight class.

[quote]bearshark wrote:
as promised- self glorifying video of my first raw natural meet…[/quote]

Nice job, not sure what was wrong with that deadlift.