First PL Meet Checklist

I am planning on entering my first powerlifting meet sometime after this summer, Although I’m having trouble figuring out what I can sign up for.

Second, I’ve read quite a few federations guidebooks but I am still not clear on uniform.
What would be required of me to wear. I am very new still so I obviously don’t have any gear yet. I know there are raw competitions, but I don’t know how to find them.

When I read the IPF handbook, it said you needed a single ply suit. Would you also need a bench shirt, or do most people opt out of using that and just where the suit all day?

Theres just way to much info on the internet and I’m completely lost.

So my real question is. What do I need to do/get to prepare and enter a powerlifting meet?

Thanks for your help.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I am planning on entering my first powerlifting meet sometime after this summer, Although I’m having trouble figuring out what I can sign up for.
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by this…are you asking about divisions (i.e. raw vs equipped, open vs masters, etc?)

If you are competing raw, you can wear a wrestling singlet and a weight belt. Anything else is usually considered equipped.

If it says single ply suit, then it is an equipped division. You would want to seek out a federation that supports raw lifting if you aren’t planning on using any gear

[quote]

So my real question is. What do I need to do/get to prepare and enter a powerlifting meet?

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

I would e-mail the meet director, tell him/her that you are interested in competing, and that this would be your first meet. They are usually extremely helpful, and if their meet isn’t suited to your needs, they can point you in the right direction.

I’m pretty confused about this stuff too.
It’ll be nice to get some things cleared up.

What you need, at the barest minimum:

1. Wrestling singlet
  2. Running shoes (Chucks are the standard)
  3. T-shirt with no pocket (IPF Rule about pockets)
  4. Briefs (IPF does not allow any underwear with legs)
  5. Knee-high socks for deadlifting. (IPF Rule, recommended elsewhere)
  6. Federation Card (WPC you can buy at the meet, IPF you have to buy BEFORE the meet)

You will certainly not want to wear a single-ply squat suit to bench. That would be bad.

As Modi said; ping your meet director and let them know you are new, and they can help you through the details. I have listed the needs of the strictest fed around, other feds are a little laxer on some but not all of these.

You can find a good checklist here for all of the other stuff. It is aimed at an equipped lifter, but you can trim that down.

[quote]evansmi wrote:

Second, I’ve read quite a few federations guidebooks but I am still not clear on uniform.
What would be required of me to wear. I am very new still so I obviously don’t have any gear yet. I know there are raw competitions, but I don’t know how to find them.

When I read the IPF handbook, it said you needed a single ply suit. Would you also need a bench shirt, or do most people opt out of using that and just where the suit all day?

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Age and weight. That is what you can sign up for. Pretty simple. if your 230 lbs then your in the 242 weight class. teen well i hope that is easy enough to figure out. More than likely your in the mens open. Good luck.

You are required to wear a lifting singlet, like a wrestlers. Required to wear a shirt while benching. Just a plain t-shirt. You can get special gear to help with your lifts, Bench shirts and squat suits etc, and each federation has a list of what is and isn’t allowed.

SO pretty much, you need to bring a lifting suit, singlet check inzer they sell some. You need a shirt, plain white works check wal-mart.

Other than that. The extras, bench shirt, suits, belts, etc depend on which federation your going for.

I love wabdl, and uspf.

Good luck brother…

Ass down head up.
Respectfully,
Ant

Check out this site:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/

You can compare federations, look up meets in your area, and get contacts to ask questions of. Hope this helps.

Just go to powerlifting watch and search under powerlifting meets. Pick a meet in your area. download the entry form and follow the instructions. As far as the feds that’s really your own call, most people pick feds based on the type of gear they allow or the locations that the fed holds meets or whatever fed their friends compete in. its really a personal choice. I think USAPL and AAU are good feds for raw beginners. You’ll have to buy a membership to whatever federation you choose in addition to the meet entry fee, so plan on spending about $100 total the first time. Then set some goals, train, show up, lift, go home.

If you’ve never used gear before then probably best to just go raw for your first meet until you can have someone teach you about shirts and suits. You can lift raw in any federation, there’s no requirement that you have to wear a bench shirt or squat suit. As far as uniform, all you really need for the meet is a wrestling singlet, a plain t-shirt and long socks. For most feds this is pretty much the bare minimum required attire.

You can lift in whatever gym shoes you have or buy something more suited to powerlifting like chucks or wrestling shoes. If you think you need a belt or wrist wraps then go buy them. for a first meet I would just keep it as simple as possible. No sense in wasting money on things you’re not sure you’ll ever use again. Also whatever fed you choose, make sure you read the rules of how each lift must be performed as they can vary slightly from fed to fed.