T Nation

First MMA Match Friday (Fight Results)

don’t get knocked out

defintely want to know how it went

Hold on he’s just about to check out of the hospital.

^^my exact thoughts haha

Wow. I’m a little late on this thread, but it’s kind of stunts like this that give MMA a bad rap. It sounds like his venue is nothing more than (de)-glorified wildman (or is it toughman?) boxing tournaments. Two completely useless fighters with no experience or training.

Whats the point? If you really want the “experience”, and you don’t have gym, then get some people together and start training with each other. Buy DVD’s and watch fights. It’s not the best option, but its better than “practicing rubber guard with your girlfriend”, come on really?

The experience is training your balls of for a fight, knowing that the hundreds of hours spent in the gym all come down to approximately 15 minutes in the ring, maybe less and you either walk away a winner or a loser. The anticipation and nerves days before, climaxing by nearly vomiting hours before the fight. Having your coach warm you up and psyche you up, who’s been watching you grow for the past few years. That’s the experience.

What does he have to lose? A lot actually. What does he have to gain? A pat on the back cause he won a match between two guys who didn’t know jack shit?

Whatever, maybe I’m overreacting, but I still maintain that shit like this detracts from the overall legitimacy of the sport. This is why “sanctioned MMA bout” doesn’t mean crap. Rant over.

[quote]3rdegreebyrne wrote:

Whatever, maybe I’m overreacting, but I still maintain that shit like this detracts from the overall legitimacy of the sport. This is why “sanctioned MMA bout” doesn’t mean crap. Rant over.[/quote]

The reason why I even threw up that excuse for him is because if he’s just doing it for fun, then his chances of getting hurt under strict watch are pretty slim. Refs are usually pretty good at calling the fight if need be.

I mean, lots of injuries can happen and you won’t even know it though. I figure hes not even in good enough shape to wrestle haha.

Hell, I’ve only been to a few practices thus far but I broke my finger already, during a full go spar, which is permanently fucked up 'cause I never knew it was broken till a doctor told me.

That rant wasn’t really directed at anybody now that I think about it. I mean OP isn’t TRYING to detract from the sport. It’s really the promoters who set-up bullshit like this. So I guess it was really directed at them.

Yea not his fault, he’s just a guy having a go at something he thinks he will enjoy. Not taking anything away from him but whatever promoter puts the guy in a fight is a fucking douchenozzle unless it’s against an equally unskilled opponent. In which case who the fuck wants to see them slapboxing?

This is my problem with records too… you get guys who have ridiculous 28-2 records, and you have to ask yourself “who did they fight”. And often times it comes up as a guy with no training who had zero to MAYBE 2 fights.

I appreciate all the posts so far and I really see where you guys are coming from. We had some really legit fights last night and some like mine with 2 guys who have never done MMA before, but the intensity is still the same. Before I put my perspective in I’ll give you guys a breakdown of the fight.

I told the promoter my weight was around 230-235 so he set me up to fight someone at 235. Weighed in at 225 due to the training I’ve been doing for this. As soon as the other guy entered the ring I saw how soft he was and in my mind I knew I was going to take him. We came in, got the briefing from the ref, went to our corners, touched gloves and it was on. I stayed on the balls of my feet like I’ve practiced and went forward so he opened with a side kick, but didn’t follow with anything else so I took it and went into him with a jab-jab-hook combo. Landed the jabs, but missed the hook.

After this I can’t remember exactly what happened. We eneded up on the ground and he was trying to get a back mount, but I did all I could to keep him tight to me with a headlock. I managed to somehow keep the headlock and turn around. I “walked the cage” like my coach had taught me using my back on the cage get to my feet. I hammed his side and face when he lowered his guard. Then he got out of the headlock and backed up and tried to shoot. I sprawled and we went down. I had a back mount and went to town on his face. When he covered I pounded his ribs until I could get under his arms again and this is when I opened up his nose. I didn’t hook the legs and he got up and I had him in a headlock again while hammering his ribs some more while waiting for the round to end.

I guess he just gassed himself out in all the ground work and he tapped out. I won, but I’m disappointed it was by verbal submission. Hope that’s not too all over the place to understand.

To everyone out there who thinks I went out there totally blind I didn’t. I’ve been training with the other guys at my gym who fought last night too. We just don’t have a legit training facility or anywhere we can take classes so we lay down some mats and practice on each other. I’m hoping that we can work something out with the university so we can use the wrestling mats and be able to have some actual sparring sessions.

I’m not trying to bring down the sport at all and I don’t think the prosmoters are either. They’re just trying to start something with limited resources. The rules are set up so that no elbows or knees to the face are allowed, no strikes the back of the head or chokes the first round. They made it very clear that they want everyone to exhibit exceptional sportsmanhip and to have fun. This is only the second fight they’ve put on so I think as time goes on it’s going to become more and more legitimate.

As for training I have a long way to go. I’m definitely committing myself to this 100% and my training will reflect that. As far as actual classes I’m trying to set up a regular time for the fighters at my gym to come in and all train together. I’m going to pick up what I can until I can get some actual classes, but for now I’m going to use what resources I have to train as hard as possible for the next fight in February.

[quote]rugbyfan wrote:
I appreciate all the posts so far and I really see where you guys are coming from. We had some really legit fights last night and some like mine with 2 guys who have never done MMA before, but the intensity is still the same. Before I put my perspective in I’ll give you guys a breakdown of the fight.

I told the promoter my weight was around 230-235 so he set me up to fight someone at 235. Weighed in at 225 due to the training I’ve been doing for this. As soon as the other guy entered the ring I saw how soft he was and in my mind I knew I was going to take him. We came in, got the briefing from the ref, went to our corners, touched gloves and it was on. I stayed on the balls of my feet like I’ve practiced and went forward so he opened with a side kick, but didn’t follow with anything else so I took it and went into him with a jab-jab-hook combo. Landed the jabs, but missed the hook.

After this I can’t remember exactly what happened. We eneded up on the ground and he was trying to get a back mount, but I did all I could to keep him tight to me with a headlock. I managed to somehow keep the headlock and turn around. I “walked the cage” like my coach had taught me using my back on the cage get to my feet. I hammed his side and face when he lowered his guard. Then he got out of the headlock and backed up and tried to shoot. I sprawled and we went down. I had a back mount and went to town on his face. When he covered I pounded his ribs until I could get under his arms again and this is when I opened up his nose. I didn’t hook the legs and he got up and I had him in a headlock again while hammering his ribs some more while waiting for the round to end.

I guess he just gassed himself out in all the ground work and he tapped out. I won, but I’m disappointed it was by verbal submission. Hope that’s not too all over the place to understand.

To everyone out there who thinks I went out there totally blind I didn’t. I’ve been training with the other guys at my gym who fought last night too. We just don’t have a legit training facility or anywhere we can take classes so we lay down some mats and practice on each other. I’m hoping that we can work something out with the university so we can use the wrestling mats and be able to have some actual sparring sessions.

I’m not trying to bring down the sport at all and I don’t think the prosmoters are either. They’re just trying to start something with limited resources. The rules are set up so that no elbows or knees to the face are allowed, no strikes the back of the head or chokes the first round. They made it very clear that they want everyone to exhibit exceptional sportsmanhip and to have fun. This is only the second fight they’ve put on so I think as time goes on it’s going to become more and more legitimate.

As for training I have a long way to go. I’m definitely committing myself to this 100% and my training will reflect that. As far as actual classes I’m trying to set up a regular time for the fighters at my gym to come in and all train together. I’m going to pick up what I can until I can get some actual classes, but for now I’m going to use what resources I have to train as hard as possible for the next fight in February.

[/quote]

a verbal submission is nothing to be disappointed about. You held your own…and you won. That’s all that matters…congrats.

Also…since you still have that “new smell” to training and such…I hope they continue to match you evenly for any fights in the near future. Don’t let them bullshit you into bad matched fights…this includes your trainers/coaches.

Nice. Keep it up. You sound like a sensible person to have in the sport. I imagine alot of clubs get started in the position your at with limited resources.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
a verbal submission is nothing to be disappointed about. You held your own…and you won. That’s all that matters…congrats.

Also…since you still have that “new smell” to training and such…I hope they continue to match you evenly for any fights in the near future. Don’t let them bullshit you into bad matched fights…this includes your trainers/coaches.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. I really learned a lot last night, but I’m always watching videos and doing what I can to get more info. I guess I should say that one of my coaches was a buddy from home who used to compete heavily in muay thai and was actually on the US junior team until he quit for various reasons, the other was one of the more experienced guys who I train with. He was heavy into boxing before he decided to give MMA a shot.

I’m all about fighting fair fights. I just don’t see the point in fighting people with way different skill levels. There’s something to be said for fighting/training with people better than yourself, but there’s a difference between learning and just getting your ass handed to you.

[quote]rugbyfan wrote:
There’s something to be said for fighting/training with people better than yourself, but there’s a difference between learning and just getting your ass handed to you.
[/quote]

Keep that attitude and you will be fine.

Great post and congrats!

I’ll be sure to keep it in mind. I’m just really hungry right now and I know there’s so much to learn. I probably learned as much or more last night than I’ve learned the entire month and a half that I’ve been training.

As to the person who asked about where I was I’m in Maryville so it’s kinda isolated, hence the problem with finding a legit martial arts training facility.

I really appreciate all the encouragement. It’s nice to know that you guys don’t think I’m just some kind of troll anymore.

[quote]rugbyfan wrote:

As for training I have a long way to go. I’m definitely committing myself to this 100% and my training will reflect that. As far as actual classes I’m trying to set up a regular time for the fighters at my gym to come in and all train together. I’m going to pick up what I can until I can get some actual classes, but for now I’m going to use what resources I have to train as hard as possible for the next fight in February.

[/quote]

Fucking beautiful. Best of luck!

Gratz man. I just think it’s pretty weird that in your initial post you were training judo, playing rugby and submitting your girl and now you’ve been actively training MMA with other fighters and you have a coach… anyways, props and good luck in the future.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
Gratz man. I just think it’s pretty weird that in your initial post you were training judo, playing rugby and submitting your girl and now you’ve been actively training MMA with other fighters and you have a coach… anyways, props and good luck in the future. [/quote]

I guess I didn’t paint the best picture in my initial post. I just wanted to put it out there that I had past judo experience and I still do play rugby. As for the training it’s been what time the fighters at my gym could get together and with everyone on different schedules and some with kids it gets a little hectic. I thought I put that in there, but I guess not. As for a coach I would consider the two people who helped me the most to be my coaches. They’re not a coach in the traditional sense, but they trained me with what time they had, warmed me up and coached me while I was in the cage. In my mind that makes them my “coach”.

I guess I got a little excited when I first posted and I didn’t take the time to give the full picture. As for practicing submissions on my girlfriend I still say practice is practice. I think she just has fun helping me with something I enjoy. On a positive note she was really unsure about the whole MMA thing, but she loves it now.

At any rate thank you all for the good vibes. Like I said before I’m going to take this training 100% to the max and make my fight in February the best it can be.