First MMA Fight

another…

another…by the way im in black and yellow shorts

one more…

Dude, good job for stepping up and fighting. A draw is probably disapointing to you but the W/L/D column really doesn’t represent the effort or commitment of any fighter. I’m sure you learned more about yourself and are better for going through the fight. Get a tape of it and look at whatever you can to improve.

Did you have fun? Did you get nervous? Was it all adrenaline and over before you knew it or did it seem like forever? Were you each thinking a lot or was it just a non-stop war?
Let us know.

Thanks a lot. Honestly I wasn’t nervous much at all. I’ve competed in karate and jiu-jitsu, so maybe that was some of it, but mostly I had a coach who was awesome at getting me warm and keeping me calm. Jesse Chilton is his name, and he is also a fighter.

It seemed like everything was moving really fast, but the time, of course, crawled by. Unless you’ve done it, u can’t imagine how long 10 mins is to fight. I thought I was for sure in shape for it, but I still have a ways to go. Of course part of it is learning to relax and pick my spots better, which will come w/ experience, but still, I have a ways to go.

It was kind of a strange fight because the guy I fought was a BJJ blue belt under Renzo Gracie, so he spent the whole fight trying to clinch with me and take me down. I was the far superior striker, but he was able to take me down. I never wrestled, so I knew this would be a weak point in my game.

He also landed inside my guard and never passed. I was able to get side mount and then full mount once. I landed some good shots then, but got rolled. I thought I had him stopped once when the ref stepped in and said , “thats it”, but he complained that I had thumbed him in the eye (which I don’t know whether I did or not) so the ref changed his mind about stopping it and let him recover a bit and we finished. All-in-all a good experience. When I get the fight, I’ll post it.

[quote]danew wrote:
Thanks a lot. Honestly I wasn’t nervous much at all. I’ve competed in karate and jiu-jitsu, so maybe that was some of it, but mostly I had a coach who was awesome at getting me warm and keeping me calm. Jesse Chilton is his name, and he is also a fighter.

It seemed like everything was moving really fast, but the time, of course, crawled by. Unless you’ve done it, u can’t imagine how long 10 mins is to fight. I thought I was for sure in shape for it, but I still have a ways to go. Of course part of it is learning to relax and pick my spots better, which will come w/ experience, but still, I have a ways to go.

It was kind of a strange fight because the guy I fought was a BJJ blue belt under Renzo Gracie, so he spent the whole fight trying to clinch with me and take me down. I was the far superior striker, but he was able to take me down. I never wrestled, so I knew this would be a weak point in my game.

He also landed inside my guard and never passed. I was able to get side mount and then full mount once. I landed some good shots then, but got rolled. I thought I had him stopped once when the ref stepped in and said , “thats it”, but he complained that I had thumbed him in the eye (which I don’t know whether I did or not) so the ref changed his mind about stopping it and let him recover a bit and we finished. All-in-all a good experience. When I get the fight, I’ll post it.[/quote]

Awesome job, man. Thanks for the detailed description, too, of what it was like to actually step in the ring and fight.

What are you doing in terms of training (both MMA and strength/endurance)?

Best of luck to you.

That’s BS about the ref changing his stoppage cause the other guy whined.

Is TFC Braulio Corral’s gig? He used to do the MMA Invitational there in Hammond, I fought for him once and got screwed in a decision. My fault for not finishing the fight, but still. I knocked him down with a right cross, I took him down several times, one of which he chained into a reversal, which I then reversed shortly after.

I ended up in his guard(my fault for not trying to pass), and all he did was slap the top of my head a bunch(only open-hand strikes to the head on the ground), no submission or sweep attemps at all.

[quote]danew wrote:

He also landed inside my guard and never passed. I was able to get side mount and then full mount once. I landed some good shots then, but got rolled. I thought I had him stopped once when the ref stepped in and said , “thats it”, but he complained that I had thumbed him in the eye (which I don’t know whether I did or not) so the ref changed his mind about stopping it and let him recover a bit and we finished. All-in-all a good experience. When I get the fight, I’ll post it.[/quote]

I wonder if I know the Renzo guy. Well, it sounds like you did good. All in all it’s a pretty big deal to step up and fight. Definitely keep posting or post vid. And post training and stuff here. Are you training any wrestling/grappling/bjj? Who are you training with for that?

Nice work. What workouts did you do? Do you strength train? DO you feel your stregth training (if you do any) helped you?

You’ve got my respect just for stepping in the ring/cage. Thanks for posting.

I’d also like to know about your pre-fight training.

Congrats on not only stepping up and stepping into the ring, but also being ready to go again so quickly.

I did a single fight 4 years ago and still haven’t gotten my lazy ass back into the ring.

Good job man. A draw in your first fight isn’t bad at all, you obviously did some things well but you also found out what you need to work on for your next fight.

I did weight train. I focused on Olympic lifts a lot. I bought Jason Ferruggia’s book, and Cosgrove’s and tried to implement their principles. Honestly I’m one of those guys who gets bored easily, so I did a lot of different things. I train with Damage Inc. in Indianapolis 3 days/wk. I train wrestling/Muay Thai on Mondays & Wednesday’s and BJJ on Thursdays. I also train w/ a Gracie JJ guy about once a month because he lives far away.

We do conditioning on M & W which usually consists of either bodyweight exercises and calistentics like burpees, push-ups, etc, or complex type workouts where we’d grab a barbell and do squats, push-press, etc for time. When I was in the gym myself, which was two days/wk, I did full body workouts. I would usually focus on Power Clean and Jerk, Squat, or Deadlift as my main lift and then work hard on my grip with exercises from the recent grip training article on here, and ‘core’. I know people hate that word ‘core’ ha! Also I’d do things like hop on the tredmill and run hard for 5 min (my rounds were 5 min long) and walk for 1 min, and repeat. Unfortunately I thought my fight was 3 min rounds until about 3 wks before the fight, so I wasn’t training for 5 min until too late. All learning experiences.

“Is TFC Braulio Corral’s gig?”

No, Joe Goytia is the promoter for that event. www.totalfightchallenge.com

That’s awesome. Great job in stepping up and getting in there. There are way too many guys “training for fighting” these days who never even get in the ring.