First Meet, Which Weight Class?

Hello,

I’m 22 and I’ve been lifting for 2.5 years now. I’ve been thinking about doing a powerlifting meet and I have found one that I want to do on the 8th of December. Right now I weight 185 pounds which puts me in the 198 class. But if I lean up I could get into the 181 class easily. So what I’m looking for some insight into is how much of a difference that will make. I would like to be competitive, but I’m doing this more for the fun and experience.

Cheers!

Aww man, I thought this was one of those “I banged a hot chick at camp” threads :slight_smile:

dude, you could take a good morning piss and a dump and drop 4 pounds. YES, compete in the lighter of the two weight classes if you are that close. Your lifts are gonna be what they are. The lighter you are the better they look in the coefficient. I wouldn’t sweat the load about dropping weight if you truely are doing it for fun. Just go, kick ass and have fun.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Aww man, I thought this was one of those “I banged a hot chick at camp” threads :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Lol, you’re not the only one.

Sorry to disappoint.

True, but I could easily break my 190 goal if I keep “bulking”. So that is why I am hesitant to drop a little. Though I could try to explode and break 190 before the new years… which I think I like this little challenge. Do the meet at 180 then break 190 without getting fat before the new year.

Sounds like you’ve already decided that you want to keep “bulking”. The sensible thing to do though is to skip breakfast and compete at 181.

I like your user name. Are you a fan of the terminator movies? Do they motivate you to lift and get stronger?

They do for me.

Curious though, is it because you want to be indestructable like a termintor or strong in case you must defend yourself against one??

Just let the chips fall where they may. If you want to be 190lbs, then get there. Don’t let the meet dictate what your weight should be. This is your first powerlifting meet. Just make sure you get all your lifts, and have fun. I don’t see any benefit to cutting at this point.

If you enjoy powerlifting you will have plenty of time in the future to cut for competitions. This meet is supposed to be a fun learning experience, and chances are you will be stressed enough with pre meet jitters. the last thing you need to worry about is cutting enough weight, and then hydrating/carbing back up.

HAVE FUN!

You might as well eat up to 198. I think cutting and making weight can be part of the fun, and its good to learn how to do it right if you don’t already know how, but if you are heading up the 190’s anyway, go ahead and chow down.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
Just let the chips fall where they may. If you want to be 190lbs, then get there. Don’t let the meet dictate what your weight should be. This is your first powerlifting meet. Just make sure you get all your lifts, and have fun. I don’t see any benefit to cutting at this point.

If you enjoy powerlifting you will have plenty of time in the future to cut for competitions. This meet is supposed to be a fun learning experience, and chances are you will be stressed enough with pre meet jitters. the last thing you need to worry about is cutting enough weight, and then hydrating/carbing back up.

HAVE FUN![/quote]

This

You will have enough to worry and be nevous about with your first meet. No need to add a cut on top of that. ESPECIALLY if you are gaining now and are planning to be bigger in the future. There is no need to put the brakes on progress this far out from your meet just to fall under some arbitrary weight class limit that likely will not effect your placing one iota.

“I never started lifting to lose weight.” Jim Wendler
If you’re just doing it for fun then don’t cut weight, I can hardly describe that as fun. Just be as big and strong as you can come meet day and enjoy yourself.