First Meet 1,395 @198.6

Competed at the USAPL Wisconsin State Open yesterday. Had a blast and learned a lot. Weighed in at 198.6 which put me in the 205 class. Only competed in the Juniors since I am still 23. Next meet I will be in the Open category. Went 9 for 9 with 2 PRs.

My squat is the only thing I am disappointed with. Opened with 445. Looked easy but felt off. Dropped my second attempt from 475 to 465. Ended up smoking it. Had to report my third attempt as I exited the platform. For some reason asked for 475. Should have asked for 495. Absolutely smoked 475 (no video of it). Definitely had more in me. The head judge even joked that I needed to actually put weight on the bar next time.

Bench went really well. Learned from my mistakes in the squat and asked for 320 on my last attempt. Even though it was a PR i have a long way to go. My bench was rather sad compared to others.

Went into the deadlift knowing I had to fuck shit up to gain some ground after the bench press. Decided I was going big with a 600 pull for my final attempt. Felt so good. I am still in shock that I managed to pull it.

when all was said and done I came in third. The kid who got first had an easy 100 lbs on my total. He has been competing for a while so I am okay with that. Seeing where my lifts stand has really motivated me to achieve big things this year. Looking forward to my next training cycle to work on some of my weaknesses.

Awesome job, man.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

Competed at the USAPL Wisconsin State Open yesterday. Had a blast and learned a lot. Weighed in at 198.6 which put me in the 205 class. Only competed in the Juniors since I am still 23. Next meet I will be in the Open category. Went 9 for 9 with 2 PRs.

My squat is the only thing I am disappointed with. Opened with 445. Looked easy but felt off. Dropped my second attempt from 475 to 465. Ended up smoking it. Had to report my third attempt as I exited the platform. For some reason asked for 475. Should have asked for 495. Absolutely smoked 475 (no video of it). Definitely had more in me. The head judge even joked that I needed to actually put weight on the bar next time.

Bench went really well. Learned from my mistakes in the squat and asked for 320 on my last attempt. Even though it was a PR i have a long way to go. My bench was rather sad compared to others.

Went into the deadlift knowing I had to fuck shit up to gain some ground after the bench press. Decided I was going big with a 600 pull for my final attempt. Felt so good. I am still in shock that I managed to pull it.

when all was said and done I came in third. The kid who got first had an easy 100 lbs on my total. He has been competing for a while so I am okay with that. Seeing where my lifts stand has really motivated me to achieve big things this year. Looking forward to my next training cycle to work on some of my weaknesses.

[/quote]
Dude,
that is an awesome first meet! Your form was solid across the board!

Nice work, man it looked like on your 2nd DL they made you hold it awhile.

Well done, sir!

Thanks everyone.

So far my plans are to compete 2-3 more time this year. There is an unsanctioned meet in my area that coincides with the end of my current program. I will use it as practice and a way to gauge progress.

As far as sanctioned meets, USAPL Raw Nationals is 2 hours from where my parents live so I am strongly leaning towards attending. Wisconsin usually has another USAPL meet later in the year but the full calendar has not been posted yet.

Currently running the JuggerCube by Chad Smith. I will most likely stay in the same weight class throughout the year.

I was a lurker for awhile previously, remembered reading some stuff from your log when you were preparing for a BB show (I think) although I never posted in it. Didn’t you have a rather serious injury?

Good to see that you’ve overcome it. A 600-pound pull is a very serious thing. Triple bodyweight. Zoinks, Scoob.

Fabulous job and beauteous form.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
I was a lurker for awhile previously, remembered reading some stuff from your log when you were preparing for a BB show (I think) although I never posted in it. Didn’t you have a rather serious injury?

Good to see that you’ve overcome it. A 600-pound pull is a very serious thing. Triple bodyweight. Zoinks, Scoob.[/quote]

You are correct, although it wasn’t an injury per se. I have really bad arthritis due to problems I had as a kid. It really only bothers me if I walk/run a lot or go super high rep. I find the powerlifting style of training (lower reps) agrees with my hip much more.

The 600 pull has me super motivated to hit 700+ in my life.