First Local 'Tea Party' Meeting

Last night 30-40 of us gathered for what should be the first of many local tea party type meetings. We call ourselves the Sauquoit Valley Patriots. It’s interesting and there is a lot of… urgency, but no one has really ever done anything political, so wh really have no idea what to do. I mean some basics are to pass out flyers in high traffic areas, converse with concerned citizens and try to grow our membership so our voice is louder. Then work on local, county, state and federal candidates, vetting, supporting, denouncing, etc… Anyone involved with a local movement and have any tips or words of wisdom for me and my group?

http://sauquoitvalleypatriots.com/

V

I dont have any advise, but I am in the same boat as you. I am just now starting to get involved in politics for the first time. I wish more people would get involved in politics.

Good for You, and our country will get better one person at a time.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Last night 30-40 of us gathered for what should be the first of many local tea party type meetings. We call ourselves the Sauquoit Valley Patriots. It’s interesting and there is a lot of… urgency, but no one has really ever done anything political, so wh really have no idea what to do. I mean some basics are to pass out flyers in high traffic areas, converse with concerned citizens and try to grow our membership so our voice is louder. Then work on local, county, state and federal candidates, vetting, supporting, denouncing, etc… Anyone involved with a local movement and have any tips or words of wisdom for me and my group?

http://sauquoitvalleypatriots.com/

V[/quote]

One of the first things you should do is attend city council meetings. Many city council meetings allow you to speak in front of the council as a concerned citizen about an issue that is relevant to the council. You also will need to start raising money. Hold fundraisers and invite people who are curious or do not necessarily stand for what you stand for.

You need to make aware to those who are skeptical or on the other side of the fence that you guys are serious and that you’re reasonable. Don’t introduce yourselves to the community with some angry protest march or a call to boycott something in town. Be reasonable and stay reasonable. People are becoming more and more alienated by the extreme elements within the GOP and the Democratic Party.

The way to pull these people into your party is to represent sanity and pragmatism, not some equally off-the-wall party that is just different from the whackos currently running the GOP and the Dem Party.

It’s grass roots. That’s the way we set our group up in PA.

First off get involved at the local level. Have your folks become assistant committeeman for both parties. You will align more with the Republican side but we don’t turn away anyone. Soon those assistants will move up to committeman positions for both parties. If you are willing to work, the political parties will let you in at the local level, in time you can have influence. Volunteer for citizen councils like the planning commission etc.

Second write letters to the editor and describe your positions. Write in a clear concise manner and don’t threaten or name call. It’s not civil and accomplishes nothing. Show up for public meetings and voice your concerns and name identify yourself and organization. Council meetings are great, so are meetings held by congressman and senators in a town hall format.

Third ask for meetings with politicians. Ask to see them at their office to discuss issues. Your state reps should be glad to do it. If they aren’t then picket their office when they are there. Congressional Reps. might not see you at all but 20-30 people at their office with signs will get their attention.

Fourth, network with others that think the same way. Those close by may help you out with events and of course we can use you on April 15th. in DC for the tax protest. Road trips are fun. Dress nice and act polite though. The anti’s are looking for a reason to hate you, not a debate about issues.