First Football Practice

Had practice yesterday…

Please bare with me on the following as I’m not completely familiar with the correct terminology.

So, I learned some techniques on how to break off and how to handle the cornerback in front of you… Came in handy, as this is all new to me.

Also, I was involved in some of the plays they practiced. The names of the plays are just pig latin to me still, I just had a receiver tell me what to do on each play. One of the cornerbacks told me I blocked him pretty well a couple of times.

I’m still waiting to get the playbook…
No injuries yet, though nothing could be expected of yesterday’s practice since there wasn’t really a lot of contact, hard contact anyway… a little pain in left thumb on the inside from catching the ball, but it’s nothing.

Achilles tendons and right knee were a little sore, but those are from before, from basketball.

One thing I noticed is that time goes a lot faster than in basketball practice. 2 hours plus in duration of practice and it feels like a lot less than 90 minutes of hoop practice.

I have to say that I’m nowhere near beign able to play a game yet, not at this pace. I need more practice, a lot more practice.

I wasn’t trying to scare you, just hate to see someone who just found the game get a stupid injury they weren’t prepared to avoid.

Good luck and enjoy.

[quote]L-Dizzle wrote:

So, I learned some techniques on how to break off and how to handle the cornerback in front of you… Came in handy, as this is all new to me.

[/quote]

Anybody who’s played football before just laughed their asses off when reading that. Wow.

Again, good luck dude and it’s cool that you’re playing.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I wasn’t trying to scare you, just hate to see someone who just found the game get a stupid injury they weren’t prepared to avoid.

Good luck and enjoy.[/quote]

I wasn’t being serious with the first paragraph. I caught your drift, and appreciate the info. Good looking out.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:

Anybody who’s played football before just laughed their asses off when reading that. Wow.

Again, good luck dude and it’s cool that you’re playing.[/quote]

Well, like I said, I don’t know the terminology yet. I know I would laugh too if someone started playing basketball and they’d tell me how it was kinda cool how they learned to run back down the court after scoring so that the other team couldn’t score, when you could just say you learned transition defense.

IF you understood my feeble attempt at explaining what I learned in practice, maybe you could correct me so that I won’t make the same mistakes again…?

[quote]L-Dizzle wrote:
carter12 wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:

Well, like I said, I don’t know the terminology yet. I know I would laugh too if someone started playing basketball and they’d tell me how it was kinda cool how they learned to run back down the court after scoring so that the other team couldn’t score, when you could just say you learned transition defense.

IF you understood my feeble attempt at explaining what I learned in practice, maybe you could correct me so that I won’t make the same mistakes again…?[/quote]

I could, but I honestly have no idea what you were trying to say.

Good Luck Dude.

Volunteer to be on the Scout teams.
Youll need the experience.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Keep your head on a swivel…
[/quote]

Sorry for the hijack, but this is one of my favorite lines. I like to tell people to do that in everyday situations.

[quote]carter12 wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:
carter12 wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:

IF you understood my feeble attempt at explaining what I learned in practice, maybe you could correct me so that I won’t make the same mistakes again…?

I could, but I honestly have no idea what you were trying to say.

[/quote]

Sorry for the delay, i don’t usually log in during the weekends…

I’ll try explaining…
I guess you could say we practiced playing 1-on-1, how to get yourself open.
So when the cornerback (me being the receiver) is defending you, you try to get his hands off you… make sense?

[quote]JMac10 wrote:
Good Luck Dude.

Volunteer to be on the Scout teams.
Youll need the experience.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.

I pulled my hamstring in last practice… This frustrates me a bit, especially since i got a few nice catches when doing 1-on-1 drills…
sprained my thumb too but that’s nothing new, finger sprains happen every now and then… it’s alright now.

[quote]L-Dizzle wrote:
carter12 wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:

IF you understood my feeble attempt at explaining what I learned in practice, maybe you could correct me so that I won’t make the same mistakes again…?[/quote]

Well, since you are a receiver, you will probably have to get to know the plays called and what the different giberrish the quarterback yells means ("blue! 32! blue! 32! Seeeet… etc.).

As an O lineman for two years in high school, I was never taught what any of it meant, and that was just fine with me. I saw the ball out of the corner of my eye, and when it moved, I drilled the motherfucker in front of me. When the whistle blew, I was either sitting on top of him, or if I couldn’t beat him head-to-head, out went his legs. As long as he was out of the play, I had done my job. After being cheap-shotted like this myself a few times I realized that the officials are following the ball and no one cares what happens on the line after the ball is snapped (at least, no officials seemed to be paying attention when I played), so, my logic went, why not do unto others before they can do unto you?

As a receiver, all eyes will be on you, so you have to watch your P’s and Q’s. Best of luck.