First Football Practice

So yeah, I started playing football… At 21 years of age.
I had been contemplating since I was about 16 years old, but just now got around to it.
I had my first practice on Friday, no contact, we just went through a few plays. The coach and team have a very positive attitude towards me and are actually excited. If all goes well, I’m playing my first game this coming weekend.
Anything I should expect, any tips, all comments are welcome!

What kind of league is this?

If you are going to have your first full contact game within a week of putting on a helmet for the first time, your coach is an idiot.

You better get some motrin… a lot in fact…

Oh, and good luck.

~V

[quote]doogie wrote:
What kind of league is this?

If you are going to have your first full contact game within a week of putting on a helmet for the first time, your coach is an idiot.[/quote]

It’s the national league over here, I don’t live in the States.

Wow, never played in your life and you’ve got your first game after a week of practice!

Good luck dude and don’t forget the painkillers.

err i agree with the guy who thinks ur coach is an idiot.

i coach and play football here in the uk and i would never ever let someone play without having the fullest confidence that that player would be safe; ie knew the proper technique in blocking and tackling (and being tackled) and had practised it many many times in kit. without having done this you are in extreme danger (and a great danger to the other players on the field) and i would highly recommend you not to play until you learn how to do the above.

if i sound overly harsh its because i am trying to be! it is not safe for u to play if u have not done the above.

ps pls dont let this put you off the sport it is a great sport one that i love and hope that u will grow to love too, just dont be too impatient and get the proper grounding in the necessary techniques first.

My dad has been a coach for 30 years, so I’m not completely talking out of my ass.

Have you at least been wearing your helmet for the last week?

Keep your head on a swivel and do not relax until you hear the whistle blow.

Since your awareness is low from not playing much, the last second and a half of a play is when you can get your clock cleaned if you assume a play is finished. Everyone is sharp right when the ball snaps, but just because the play is on the opposite side of the field, don’t assume no one is coming for you.

Just FYI - oh, and your coach is an idiot. :>

Have a tub full of icewater ready after the game to jump into.

Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll have to see how practice goes this week, and talk to coach about practicing the correct techniques and learning to take hits.

As for Motrin, painkillers, etc. the sad thing is, with my history with painkillers, they rarely work. Unless I take very large amounts!

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Keep your head on a swivel and do not relax until you hear the whistle blow.

Since your awareness is low from not playing much, the last second and a half of a play is when you can get your clock cleaned if you assume a play is finished. Everyone is sharp right when the ball snaps, but just because the play is on the opposite side of the field, don’t assume no one is coming for you.

Just FYI - oh, and your coach is an idiot. :>[/quote]

Great advice, will surely be useful. Haven’t even thought about that!

[quote]L-Dizzle wrote:
As for Motrin, painkillers, etc. the sad thing is, with my history with painkillers, they rarely work. Unless I take very large amounts![/quote]

Seriously… good luck. You’re coach either thinks very highly of you… or as the other’s mentioned, he’s an idiot. I’m settling for the latter.

Get the pain meds anyway, and pray you don’t break/strain something.

Keep us posted on how the game went, and any post-game injuries…

~V

BTW, I have practice today, so I’ll let y’all know how it goes and what I learn.

Doogie, I’ve read some of your posts here on the forums, it’s clear that you know what you’re talking about when it comes to football…

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/health_and_safety/head_down_contact_512.html

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/ed_outreach/health-safety/healthcare/sports_med_education/spearing_notes.pdf

Don’t duck your head, and as stated above, play until the whistle. Watch for people accidentally rolling into your legs, protect your knees even after the whistle.

[quote]v10hanz wrote:
L-Dizzle wrote:
As for Motrin, painkillers, etc. the sad thing is, with my history with painkillers, they rarely work. Unless I take very large amounts!

Seriously… good luck. You’re coach either thinks very highly of you… or as the other’s mentioned, he’s an idiot. I’m settling for the latter.

Get the pain meds anyway, and pray you don’t break/strain something.

Keep us posted on how the game went, and any post-game injuries…

~V[/quote]

Thanks man, appreciate it.

It could be both. I’ve gotten some compliments about my catching ability from some of the players.

[quote]doogie wrote:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/health_and_safety/head_down_contact_512.html

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/ed_outreach/health-safety/healthcare/sports_med_education/spearing_notes.pdf

Don’t duck your head, and as stated above, play until the whistle. Watch for people accidentally rolling into your legs, protect your knees even after the whistle.[/quote]

Doogie, are you trying to scare me with those links??:slight_smile:

Honestly though, thanks for the links and the advice, I’m learning all the time.

You’re in for a world of hurt man. Just stay focused until you hear the whistle and keep your head on a swivel. A week of practice is not going to prepare you for what you’re going to face, but maybe think of something that would grab your full attention and piss you off to no end and hold onto that thought. I used to imagine people doing horrible things to my mom. That seemed to work well for me.

[quote]L-Dizzle wrote:

It could be both. I’ve gotten some compliments about my catching ability from some of the players.[/quote]

So that’s how you’re getting playing time… you’re a catcher!

Seriously is this like a semi-pro team or what? I don’t know of any team worth a grain of shit that’s going to let someone who’s never played before step on the field after one week of practice.