T Nation

First Fight. Pre-Fight Meal?

so my first muay thai fight is in a week and a half and im quite happy with my hard work and increased cardio and recovery. Can any experienced fighters give me a good idea on a quality pre fight meal.
I will be nervous and the adrennaline flowing so im not feeling tuna and brown rice, maybe a shake?? any thoughts id appreciate.
Cheers

What do you eat before a hard training session?

That night before a fight is NOT the night to eat a meal for the first time.

Eat normally. Now is not the time to worry about diet.

I know this will sound strange, but one of the best things for my stomach to remain calm before training is rice crispies with lactose free milk and whey protein isolate (again, I like isolate b/c it’s lactose free, far less acidic) I’m not eating this right now as I’m leaning out, but you asked…

chicken and poi…haha, I doubt you’d go for the poi however

I second previous recommendations about eating something you’d normally eat

Way too close to be trying anything new. Everyone gave good advice.

What you need to do NOW, is just eat however you eat before a hard training session. Should have been paying attention if you weren’t. Do your best to pay attention now.

========================================
This is just for future reference, don’t try this until you KNOW how you react. You’ll learn very soon after your first couple of fights what works for you and what doesn’t. Again this is highly individual. I know one guy that doesn’t eat anything but dry oatmeal and he jumps rope A LOT b4 his fights, it works for him… again… highly individual.

Personally, I eat a protein shake, and fruit before hand. Depending on the venue, how long you’ll be there, or how well I’m prepared I either have a mix of fruit chopped up in some tupper ware, or i carry shit i can easily just throw in a bag (orange, apple, etc).

I also bring a big container of ice water, about 2 gallons worth, and maybe a quarter of that in green tea. I find that often times my body heat goes up out of nervousness and this keeps me from getting too hot/sweating.

Another thing is that constantly drinking keeps you away from doing other nervous behavior (pushups, over stretching, pacing, talking a lot, etc) AND you also stay hydrated… the green tea just kinda calms me down, also its a nice change from just straight water the entire time.

so for myself…

2 protein shakes (1 nalgene bottle but 2 shakes worth, basically 4-5hrs worth)

gallon + of water

nalgene (64oz?) of green tea

fruit

I’ve only had one fight, but I guess I’ll chime in here. Like everyone else said eat normal otherwise you run the risk of some kind of unknowns popping up.

Before my fight I had water, a RTD EAS shake and a peanut butter and honey sandwich. About 2.5-3 hours before that I had a normal meal like I would. After weigh-ins I had about 2.5 hours before my fight so along with my water I had half of another peanut butter and honey sandwich.

I’ve always used honey in one form or another when doing endurance activities like all day rugby tourneys. It works well for sustained energy, but I would just start loading up on the stuff if you’ve never done it before.

As everyone else has said, stick to familiar foods. The last thing you want is an upset stomach before the fight so don’t go trying anything new you might have a bad reaction to.

Personally I eat the normal Thai meal of rice/noodles and seafood/chicken. And then a red bull before the fight hehe

yeah thanks alot guys , i will stay away from fiborous carbs and caffine i think as when we have been sparring i get the farts,and well you can guess the reaction from my sparring partners.

thanks again

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
As everyone else has said, stick to familiar foods. The last thing you want is an upset stomach before the fight so don’t go trying anything new you might have a bad reaction to.

Personally I eat the normal Thai meal of rice/noodles and seafood/chicken. And then a red bull before the fight hehe[/quote]

Wow…if you can have caffeine before a fight…are there rules against say…amphetamine…or some other type stimulant. Are you tested for stimulants post fight?

Well I’m sure there technically are rules about stimulants, but here in Thailand they don’t even test for HIV…

The amount of caffeine in one or two energy drinks here isn’t going to contain enough caffeine to break any rules anyway though. Although there was a very famous Thai boxer who died after a fight in Pattaya from heart problems that I’ve heard were caused from drinking too many energy drinks beforehand.

Who tf tests for caffeine?

Is this about the night before or the day of?
when are weigh ins?

I had to cut allot back in the day so for me it depends on when the weighins are.

I was very dependent on baby food, yogurt,
then fruit then solid food for rehydrating/replenishing after weigh-ins.

If weight is not an issue, eat as usual the night before, and early in the day.
prefight I would do a shake or something that I can get down while nervous.

kmc

thanks for all the advice , didnt eat jack before the fight had a banana and a eas myoplex bar bout 1 hour prior n went in and smashed the guy for the 1st round n 10 seconds into round 2 faked a kick n k.od him with a straight right hand…