T Nation

First Fight In December

ive been training in muay thai for 2 months now , my trainer says i have good natural ability and phenominal power, im worried that with 3 months to go i might not be ready in time currently i train 2-3 times muay thai a week and work out at the gym but i feel since my cardio aint up to par ive knocked that back quite a bit and generally have been running up a mountain track the other 2 days which is about 3 km and fairly steep , should i be doing cardio every day and knock the weights on the head or theoretically will it all fall into place when we start conditioning more and more .

im curently 270 lbs @ 17% bodyfat and @5’9 i hope im not @ too much of a disadvantage as most of the guys in this division i hear are quite tall. any real fighters that have valid opinions please give me their thoughts it would greatly appreciated , bruce lee said nerves are always present before a fight and if you arent nervous you might get knocked the fuck out…cheers

for reference, I have been practicing MMA for almost a year and have yet to fight, but that is the goal. I was a college football player, and a 3 sport athlete in HS. At your weight and BF you WILL get KO’d. MT fighters are notoriously tall and lengthy limbwise. If your serious about fighting you need to lose probably like 100 pounds. At least get down to 205. I started at 230 and am dropping to 185. Before you do anything you need to address the issue that your fat. Thank god you found T-Nation. Fix your diet and work on losing the weight.

thanks champ , obviously you dont have the skill to be asked to fight yet, as for the fatty comment , dude i look better than you at 17% you got small arms a crap lat spread blocky waist and a bizzare outlook at fighting . I put this to you does mark hunt get knocked out heaps and because he fights tall guys backs down…fuck no hes a kiwi mate we love fighting…as for a reference to you i was a national ranked powerlifter so umm im not a fatty and im not gonna drop 100 lbs to fit in imagine all the strength id lose and the power, get a grip!!!

i asked for real fighters to post not some one with out qualification , best of luck with your career there chuck liddell…ooops i mean what ever your name is …oh yeah its a 58 inch chest and a 39 inch waist with 19 inch arms and 20 inch calves …yours???

Hey man, I wouldn’t worry too much about the height difference so long as your strength makes up for it. Take a look at Jeff Monson, he’s 250 @ 5’9. As for your cardio, I find fighting is the best conditioning. So if your fight is five three minute rounds, train eight three minute rounds going as hard as you can (without getting hurt). I think long distance running has it’s place in training, but running 6 miles doesn’t exactly translate to being able to fight as long as you need to. That’s my 2 cents.

Goodluck in December dude.

thanks kensei your 2 cents were well put and i take them on board and had a sneaking suspicion fight training simulates a fight scenario so ill go harder at training and keep up my hill runs , thanks again

Do you do any ju jitsu or wrestling? I would implement some groundwork into your training to ya never know. the heavier weightclasses just stand and throw most of the time, but there are some grapplers like monson. the weight will fall off with more cardio to. Hill runs are great, push a wheelbarrow up and down them to if you can with some weights in there. Hear Chuck Liddell does that and i tried it and it just does work wonders for your conditioning. kudos for stepping in to the cage though and good luck

And knock him out for all us short guys out there!

as far as conditioning, i would throw in something like 400 meter repeats. go all out on a track and rest 2 minutes+whatever your lap time was. do that for 4 laps.

heres a motivational video for ya.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Eh7SL91v8&feature=related

[quote]dza1978 wrote:
ive been training in muay thai for 2 months now , my trainer says i have good natural ability and phenominal power, im worried that with 3 months to go i might not be ready in time currently i train 2-3 times muay thai a week and work out at the gym but i feel since my cardio aint up to par ive knocked that back quite a bit and generally have been running up a mountain track the other 2 days which is about 3 km and fairly steep , should i be doing cardio every day and knock the weights on the head or theoretically will it all fall into place when we start conditioning more and more .

im curently 270 lbs @ 17% bodyfat and @5’9 i hope im not @ too much of a disadvantage as most of the guys in this division i hear are quite tall. any real fighters that have valid opinions please give me their thoughts it would greatly appreciated , bruce lee said nerves are always present before a fight and if you arent nervous you might get knocked the fuck out…cheers[/quote]

1. Punctuation amigo. I can’t read what you wrote without my eyes bleeding.

2. Skill and conditioning are most important, so work on those. I wouldn’t even bother with weights, just get yourself in as good cardiovascular shape as you possibly can.

3. 270 at 5’9" sounds like an awful lot. I don’t care what you look like- it’s how you perform. And if you’ve got nearly 20% bodyfat, I have a hard time believing that you’ll come in at fight ready shape.

I could be wrong. I know boxing, not Muay Thai, and I’m not a competitive fighter. But remember, the guys you are going to fight against take this shit seriously, and they are out to hurt you. Make sure you can stand and deliver.

I just read that you’re a powerlifter also. Explains your obsession with strength. Your power will come from your techniques plus your weight, along with any inherent striking ability you have.

It’s not maximal strength you’re after, it’s explosive strength, round after round after round, punch after punch.

I hope you are better conditioned than most powerlifters, because I have read that they are notoriously lacking in cardiovascular endurance.

That being said, good luck.

Are you competing in MMA or Muay Thai? I’m not really clear and that would be an important point I’d imagine.

Also, hill runs are okay, but I’d try something more energy system specific.

I would suggest sparring as much as possible, after all its the closest thing to fighting you are going to get until the big day, as well as this practise your drills and techniques, get on the focus mits with someone who knows their shit so that they can pick faults with your technique and give you a slap when you drop your guard.

Maybe try to shave a few pounds of fat off but then again I wouldnt worry to much about that as this is only your first fight. I would also work on trying to close the distance against an opponent and cut down the distance their punches and kick are able to travel. Most importantly just enjoy it and learn from the process for the next time. All the best with your fight

thanks guys for all the replys. Yes i know my punctuation is a bit out of control!!!. Okay im gonna drop the weights and go for the cardio fitness , its been a hard thing to get my head around , that is to stop it but many people have said it too. Im fighting muay thai , not mma but yeah im in need of conditioning i feel and my cardio or lack there of coupled with weight training obession will bew my down fall. Hit em hard you bring up a good no great point , sparring thats another key . Thanks again to all you guys for your posts , be sure to let you know how i did.

When I used to prep for a fight I would take my training from 2x1 hour sessions a week to 3x2 hour sessions.

The first hour would be pad work, flexibility and conditioning and or circuit training and the second hour would always be sparring, always sparring hard and doing round robbins( change sparring partner every round so there is always someone fresh in with you.)

none of this is ground breaking but it certainly worked well. All the best with the fight

[quote]HitEmHard wrote:
When I used to prep for a fight I would take my training from 2x1 hour sessions a week to 3x2 hour sessions.

The first hour would be pad work, flexibility and conditioning and or circuit training and the second hour would always be sparring, always sparring hard and doing round robbins( change sparring partner every round so there is always someone fresh in with you.)

none of this is ground breaking but it certainly worked well. All the best with the fight[/quote]

thanks h.e.h sounds like sound advice there mate . my trainer mentioned to me last training that this would be happeninig next week, so this only cements what ive heard .thank you again, its time to DO WORk !!!