T Nation

First Fight at 205 on 7-20

I want to thank you guys for the all the help I’ve gotten on getting bigger and stronger, I’ll be trying my hand at the 205 pound weight class in a few weeks after fighting at 170 as recently as January. I’ve never felt this strong before, I’m excited to see how it works out.

www.subzerofighting.com

Good luck, man.

Kick some ass!

Hey smiley,

Put up some shots. That’s pretty good transformation. I remember seeing shots of your earlier this year when you were likely in the 170 class and you seemed like a tall guy. Hopefully 200 has filled out nicely.

Good luck. Kick ass!

Damn man, you must have been pounding the weights. What are you walking around at right now?

Good luck! The 205 class is crazy.

Donut62, I got my face bashed in during my last fight so I had a good 6-8 weeks of “no contact” to do nothing but eat and lift, and then just kept going from there. I’m right around 205 already, but since this is a same day weigh-in I’m not going to cut anything, just fight at what I really weigh (which is the way it should be anyway, in my opinion).

I put some pictures up a little while back, there on the “How Underweight Was I?” thread over on the P&P Photos forum.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
I’m not going to cut anything, just fight at what I really weigh (which is the way it should be anyway, in my opinion).[/quote]

Not sure I agree with that but I think it kicks ass you are actually fighting. To many guys wear the shirts but never actually fight. Good shit man and good luck.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
Donut62, I got my face bashed in during my last fight so I had a good 6-8 weeks of “no contact” to do nothing but eat and lift, and then just kept going from there. I’m right around 205 already, but since this is a same day weigh-in I’m not going to cut anything, just fight at what I really weigh (which is the way it should be anyway, in my opinion).

I put some pictures up a little while back, there on the “How Underweight Was I?” thread over on the P&P Photos forum.[/quote]

Well unlike some of these MMA wannabes on this site, you stepped into the ring. Nice work.

Good luck in the 205’s

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Well unlike some of these MMA wannabes on this site, you stepped into the ring. Nice work.

Good luck in the 205’s
[/quote]

I agree with this - its like the ol’ bodybuilding analogy - you aint a bber til you compete, you’re just a fit guy that lifts weight. you aint a cage-fighter til you fight in a cage. you aint an MMAist til you fight MMA.

And while im on a rant - BJJ is not MMA, Muay Thai is not MMA, boxing is not MMA - MMA is MMA - its an art to itself now. Without getting too technical, what works in a boxing ring doesnt work in cage & what works in a cage doesnt work in a boxing ring etc.

Exactly. That’s the mistake I made in my last fight, I was on my back and I had wrist control playing a sport BJJ type guard, which is great for sport BJJ, not so much for MMA. Ten stitches, a broken nose, and a little glue later and I decided to work HARD on my grappling for MMA, not just my straight jiu-jitsu game.

Good luck Smiley! Keep us updated.