First Face Transplant in U.S.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
i’d hit it.

…nevermind.[/quote]

I was waiting for that.

Yeahhh…

can you imagine having a dead person’s face?

Does that severely bother just me? or anybody else?

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
i’d hit it.

…nevermind.

I was waiting for that. [/quote]

Poor taste.

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Yeahhh…

Does that severely bother just me? or anybody else?[/quote]

Why does that logically bother you more than a liver transplant?

Because you can see it?

honestly…i would have waited for a person with a better face to die…

The really sad thing is that her cocksucker husband who did that to her only got 7 years on prison.

[quote]totalfit wrote:
The really sad thing is that her cocksucker husband who did that to her only got 7 years on prison.[/quote]

Damn,that’s fucked…so he’ll be out in about 3 years.

edit I also just read about how she’ll be waiting for him when he gets out and hasn’t excluded getting back together with him…damn.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
totalfit wrote:
The really sad thing is that her cocksucker husband who did that to her only got 7 years on prison.

edit I also just read about how she’ll be waiting for him when he gets out and hasn’t excluded getting back together with him…damn. [/quote]

Well, at least someone’s willing to get together with her

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
totalfit wrote:

edit I also just read about how she’ll be waiting for him when he gets out and hasn’t excluded getting back together with him…damn.

Well, at least someone’s willing to get together with her[/quote]

I think she’s going to torment his soul.

Thoughts on this:

1. She was shot by her husband, who then “turned the gun on himself.” Wtf? Guy didn’t even manage to kill himself? I missed the part about him going to prison the first time because I just assumed he was dead.

2. She says something about not judging/making assumptions about people who’ve suffered disfiguring injuries. Poignant episode from the article:

Once while shopping, “she heard a little kid say, `You said there were no real monsters mommy, and there’s one right there,'” Coffman said. Culp stopped and said, “I’m not a monster. I’m a person who was shot,” and pulled out her driver’s license to show the child what she used to look like…

Guy I’ve seen around my U a few times. Suffered horrific burns over every visible part of his face and body at some point. Some of them still seep… No one looks at him, no one talks to him… I’ve seen him unlocking doors in one of the buildings, shuffling around… His look, his bearing, and whatever unconscious assumptions I harbored made me think he did some sort of janitorial work or menial labor around the building.

I averted my eyes like everyone else when I saw him. Then, one day, disgusted with myself, I made myself meet his gaze and say, “hey” in the hall as I would with anyone else. Struck up a conversation. Turns out the guy’s a full professor – i.e. a PhD – and high up in his department. Later on, from one of his students (not him) I found out that he was a fighter pilot and got shot down (not sure I recall the conflict). That’s where the burns come from.

Being maimed does not automatically make you special/courageous/a saint anymore than being poor or out of work makes you noble or taken advantage of. But you never know where someone’s coming from or what they’ve been through, and it’s usually best to check your assumptions at the door.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
swissrugby67 wrote:
wow.

X2.

How in the hell does one survive a shotgun blast to the face?

People have survived gun shots to the head, being impaled through the skull with sticks and poles, and I believe one case involved a pair of scissors in the eye. Avoid brain damage that involves vital functions and the human body is more durable than some give it credit for.[/quote]

buddy of mine attempted suicide several years back.
he had a 9mm gunshot wound to the temple.
went in his temple and out the top of his head.
luck would have it that the bullet missed most major spots in his brain.
if someone wasn’t home at the time he would have bled to death but he lived and now he has limited use of his right hand and a horrible limp.
he also lost some sight in his right eye but still hes alive.
a couple MMs lower and he would have been dead instantly.

[quote]Feist wrote:
Thoughts on this:

1. She was shot by her husband, who then “turned the gun on himself.” Wtf? Guy didn’t even manage to kill himself? I missed the part about him going to prison the first time because I just assumed he was dead.

2. She says something about not judging/making assumptions about people who’ve suffered disfiguring injuries. Poignant episode from the article:

Once while shopping, “she heard a little kid say, `You said there were no real monsters mommy, and there’s one right there,'” Coffman said. Culp stopped and said, “I’m not a monster. I’m a person who was shot,” and pulled out her driver’s license to show the child what she used to look like…

Guy I’ve seen around my U a few times. Suffered horrific burns over every visible part of his face and body at some point. Some of them still seep… No one looks at him, no one talks to him… I’ve seen him unlocking doors in one of the buildings, shuffling around… His look, his bearing, and whatever unconscious assumptions I harbored made me think he did some sort of janitorial work or menial labor around the building.

I averted my eyes like everyone else when I saw him. Then, one day, disgusted with myself, I made myself meet his gaze and say, “hey” in the hall as I would with anyone else. Struck up a conversation. Turns out the guy’s a full professor – i.e. a PhD – and high up in his department. Later on, from one of his students (not him) I found out that he was a fighter pilot and got shot down (not sure I recall the conflict). That’s where the burns come from.

Being maimed does not automatically make you special/courageous/a saint anymore than being poor or out of work makes you noble or taken advantage of. But you never know where someone’s coming from or what they’ve been through, and it’s usually best to check your assumptions at the door.
[/quote]

Great post.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Agreed, I would never be able to tell what happened. [/quote]

Well. until you saw the front picture.

I read today that as her muscles & nerves adapt to the transplant much of that extra skin will be clipped away & she’ll have a more normal appearance. Its still pretty shocking right now, as is the fact that her husband only got 7 years, as was said earlier.

I’ve always found the occasional negative reaction to this type of surgery perplexing.

You damn well bet if I had my face blown off I would want another one. I mean, it’s just skin. Your bone structure and musculature will determine how you look much more than the skin will.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
I’ve always found the occasional negative reaction to this type of surgery perplexing.

You damn well bet if I had my face blown off I would want another one. I mean, it’s just skin. Your bone structure and musculature will determine how you look much more than the skin will.[/quote]

I say go for it- hopefully one day they’ll perfect it and any one in a terrible accident can have it.

Unfortunately for this poor broad, she went from looking like one the aliens in “Fire in the Sky” to looking like Jabba the Hut.

I do hope they can fix this and make her look more normal. She deserves it.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
fireplug52 wrote:

You damn well bet if I had my face blown off I would want another one. I mean, it’s just skin. Your bone structure and musculature will determine how you look much more than the skin will.

I say go for it- hopefully one day they’ll perfect it and any one in a terrible accident can have it.

Unfortunately for this poor broad, she went from looking like one the aliens in “Fire in the Sky” to looking like Jabba the Hut.

I do hope they can fix this and make her look more normal. She deserves it. [/quote]

I read that they’re giving time for her body to adjust to the face before doing any more “sculpting.”

krazykoukides wrote:
Yeahhh…

Because you can see it?[/quote]

Because it’s a face. A face is a very individual thing. By having a face transplant… you lose your individuality and that person also lost it.

I don’t know. I have no real reason.

I mean… it’s a dead person’s face… on somebody else… a face… just a weird concept to me. Maybe it is because I can see it. shrug

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:

You damn well bet if I had my face blown off I would want another one. I mean, it’s just skin. Your bone structure and musculature will determine how you look much more than the skin will.[/quote]

It’s not just a skin transplant. They even transfer a lot of the bone structure. You can see she had no nose before.

krazykoukides wrote:
Yeahhh…

Because you can see it?[/quote]

You dont kiss a liver.