First Evidence Of Phyto-Androgens

Hey guys, I found this study from Singapore, about extracts from the bark of a tree(Eucommia ulmoides) that acts androgenic. It has never been proven before that structures from plants can stimulate the androgen receptors.

here’s the abstract:

Abstract

Background

Plants containing compounds such as the isoflavonoids, with female hormone-like effects that bind to human estrogen receptors, are known. But none has been previously shown to have corresponding male hormone-like effects that interact with the human androgen receptor. Here, we report that the tree bark (cortex) of the Gutta-Percha tree Eucommia ulmoides possesses bimodal phytoandrogenic and hormone potentiating effects by lipidic components.

Methods

The extracts of E. ulmoides were tested using in-vitro reporter gene bioassays and in-vivo animal studies. Key compounds responsible for the steroidogenic effects were isolated and identified using solid phase extraction (SPE), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), thin layer chromatography (TLC), gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy (GC-MS), electron spray ionisation-mass spectroscopy (ESI-MS) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).

Results

The following bioactivities of E. ulmoides were found: (1) a phenomenal tripartite synergism exists between the sex steroid receptors (androgen and estrogen receptors), their cognate steroidal ligands and lipidic augmenters isolated from E. ulmoides, (2) phytoandrogenic activity of E. ulmoides was mediated by plant triterpenoids binding cognately to the androgen receptor (AR) ligand binding domain.

Conclusion

In addition to well-known phytoestrogens, the existence of phytoandrogens is reported in this study. Furthermore, a form of tripartite synergism between sex steroid receptors, sex hormones and plant-derived lipids is described for the first time. This could have contrasting clinical applications for hypogonadal- and hyperlipidaemic-related disorders

here is the link for the full text article:

maybe this could be the next generation of herbal supplements? or maybe not, I think it’s interesting anyway…

Thomas

I thought we had evidence of this from tribulus extract, eurycoma exract, and yohimbe.

They had secondary androgenic effects (increase LH/FSH and androgen secretion or change in SHBP binding) or(vasodilatory for yohimbe/yohimbine) but none directly activated the AR if I remember correctly.

Good day
AlexH.

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
They had secondary androgenic effects (increase LH/FSH and androgen secretion or change in SHBP binding) or(vasodilatory for yohimbe/yohimbine) but none directly activated the AR if I remember correctly.

Good day
AlexH.[/quote]

That’s what I thought as well, I’m no expert on this but thanks for clearing it up

Thomas