First Ever T Test. High Total T, High SHBG, Normal Free T. Help Interpreting Results?

Hi Guys

Recently getting into taking care of myself and my health in general.
Investigating low energy and motivation lead me to Jay Campbell and post reading the TOT Bible, decided to get my T checked as a possible cause

I am 30 years old fyi. No history of any testosterone administration. Active all week, been lifting heavy fo over 2 years and eating clean( no processed sugar, gluten, dairy) for the same amount of time. Performance in the gym seems to be improving constantly and I’ve recently added close to 4kg of muscle while dropping the same amount of fat in the last quarter due to dialling in nutrition. Currently 171 cm, 72 kg @14% bf. Recovery is also good for my training volume, I don’t feel drained physically and am able to progressively overload all major lifts like squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bench etc

Like I said earlier tho, I still feel a lack of energy and general motivation during the day in my other endeavours such as academics and social life.

Results are as follows

Testosterone : 36.9 nmol/L
SHBG: 83 nmol/L
Calculated Free Testosterone: 460 pmol/L ( Lab says this is was calculated using the Vermeulen equation instead of direct measurement)

Note: I recently started hitting the sauna post workout every day for a week before my test and was possibly dehydrated/cortisol levels high.

From my understanding, total T levels are good and so is the % of Free T. What worries me is the high SHBG reading. Wondering if such a high reading is possible due to over training/stresses such as extended sauna use/dehydration etc or there might be a deeper underlying issue.

All the reading I’ve done suggests that high SHBG leads to low free T. What is confusing me is the fact that my Free T result seems to be normal

I have a slight vitamin D deficiency ( doc saysquite possibly due to winter) and also slightly elevated LDL levels

Any help interpreting the results will be appreciated :slight_smile:

With an SHBG that high , its safe to say your free t is in the toilet.

Even if the numbers look good, you are already stating you have noticeable symptoms.

Numbers mean very little compared to how you feel.

There’s no way your Free T is going to be alright with sky high SHBG, calculated Free T is exactly that, is not concrete info that can be acted upon. SHBG above the ranges is usually always a problem for Free T. SHBG binds to testosterone, the more SHBG you have the less Free T you have.

I trust SHBG more than any lab value, your Total T is overstated by high SHBG. Total T shouldn’t be a determining factor for evaluating a testosterone deficiency, it should be ignored. SHBG and directly measured Free T have more meaning.