T Nation

First Ever Shirted Bench Day

…and I officially know NOTHING about shirted benching.

So yeah I got into a bench shirt (a 52 Inzer Phenom, i’m jsut ovver 200lbs) for the first time ever today and I have to say it’s a completly different ball game from raw benching.

I really don’t know if I’m doing anything right so I’m hoping for some feedback. There’s about 300lbs on the bar, my raw max is only around 260, which sucks I know.

Anyway… What am I doing wrong?

Bench looked fine to me. Probably just need more time in the shirt. It might be a little loose too.

Rome wasn’t built in a day… and hit the fuck out of your lockout.

[quote]mattwray wrote:
Bench looked fine to me. Probably just need more time in the shirt. It might be a little loose too.

Rome wasn’t built in a day… and hit the fuck out of your lockout.[/quote]

Looked loose to me as well

I’m looking to get a shirt too. I know you can’t get it on by yourself, but how important are the side spots?

I generally workout by myself and getting three people to give a decent spot is damn near impossible in my gym.

Hanley: Good job, keep us updated how the learning curve goes.

You don’t need 3 people.

Just you and a hand off partner.

The weight seemed to come up quite fast. Looked to me you could have done another 15-20lbs. Arch is decent. Your legs seemed to fire and almost the right time too. Keep Practicing the shirt and you’ll hit 350 by year’s end for sure.

As aforementioned hit the top half of the bench hard and heavy. 3 or 4 board presses or pin presses

hahaha! I can’t believe the first reply on this post wasn’t about that tool in the white polo with the colar “popped” and the way too short khaki shorts!

Oh and by the way, you don’t need a shirt yet, just keep working at it and you will get that weight without a shirt pretty soon. Plus by then you may have grown into that shirt enough to really get a benefit from it.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
I’m looking to get a shirt too. I know you can’t get it on by yourself, but how important are the side spots?

I generally workout by myself and getting three people to give a decent spot is damn near impossible in my gym.
[/quote]

You will need 3 spotters when you are not sure if your handoff man can pick the weight up off you/catch if you miss. It is your face that will get smashed in if you miss and he doesn’t catch it.

I like side spotters for anything over 365 just to be safe. If you don’t have em, oh well gotta live on the edge right? :wink:

[quote]Joshua632 wrote:
hahaha! I can’t believe the first reply on this post wasn’t about that tool in the white polo with the colar “popped” and the way too short khaki shorts!

[/quote]

Congratulations on giving a gay man’s amount of attention to the fashion choices of others.

Congratulations on coming out, sorry i didn’t realize that was your boyfriend.

Not my thing but whatever floats your boat.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

So yeah I got into a bench shirt (a 52 Inzer Phenom, i’m jsut ovver 200lbs) for the first time ever today and I have to say it’s a completly different ball game from raw benching.

I really don’t know if I’m doing anything right so I’m hoping for some feedback. There’s about 300lbs on the bar, my raw max is only around 260, which sucks I know.

How did you go about picking a 52? When I bought my last shirt I was a little bigger than you and I was told to get a 48. I think that your shirt is probably too big.

I think you’re off to a great start. Your set up looks right. However, I think you might have a bit more success if you tried more of a lower, tucked-elbow groove. Think of lowering the bar as much as can without bending your elbows and rotating your elbows down towards the floor at the same time.

Get a tighter shirt or get that one taken in. That looked almost raw to me. I didn’t see it binding up on you at all. A good-fitting shirt makes benching so much more fun.

Shirt is too loose. Once you get a tighter shirt you will learn how important it is to stay tight and use your lats. Not sure what was up with the 2nd rep but the first one was clean. More shirt and technique work and you can put 50+ more pounds on your bench in a short amount of time.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

You just need to get stronger all over, worry about shirts when you’re at leat hitting 3 plates raw.

btw, your shirt is supposed to hurt like hell when you have it on, and leave you marked and bruised after you take it off. That’s when you know you have the right fit.

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
btw, your shirt is supposed to hurt like hell when you have it on, and leave you marked and bruised after you take it off. That’s when you know you have the right fit.

[/quote]

Under my arms and the back of my tri’s are bruised and cut to bits. I think the shirt’s tight. I’m very broad across the shoulders so it took almost 10 mins to even get it so we could start to pull it down over my nipples.

So I think it’s plenty tight. Plus I’ve already gotten 40+lbs outta it and I was still half an inch from touching.

I’ve hit 130kg off a single board in the gym and repped 115kg for 5 so the 115kg that stands as my PR probably isn’t what I’d hit fresh raw but it’s what I done in comp so it’s what I’m counting.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
Hanley wrote:

How did you go about picking a 52? When I bought my last shirt I was a little bigger than you and I was told to get a 48. I think that your shirt is probably too big.

[/quote]

I got the 52 by default!! One of the 100kg’ers in my gym got it and couldn’t get into it. So I’m using it til I order my f6 in a couple of weeks.

Looked easy, put more weight, get more practice in the shirt so you hit the sweet spot and you’ll hit big weight.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

Under my arms and the back of my tri’s are bruised and cut to bits. I think the shirt’s tight. I’m very broad across the shoulders so it took almost 10 mins to even get it so we could start to pull it down over my nipples.

So I think it’s plenty tight. Plus I’ve already gotten 40+lbs outta it and I was still half an inch from touching.

I’ve hit 130kg off a single board in the gym and repped 115kg for 5 so the 115kg that stands as my PR probably isn’t what I’d hit fresh raw but it’s what I done in comp so it’s what I’m counting.[/quote]

The shirt may have been plenty tight in the arms, but was pretty loose in chest. Closed-back polys usually need to be pretty tight across the chest to get much pop.

Don’t get me wrong- I think a shirt as loose as yours has a place in your training- lighter rep work, an intermediate shirt when you’re warming up, or just for getting the hang of equpped benching etc. But, going forward, consider a tighter shirt.

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Hanley wrote:

I’ve hit 130kg off a single board in the gym and repped 115kg for 5 so the 115kg that stands as my PR probably isn’t what I’d hit fresh raw but it’s what I done in comp so it’s what I’m counting.

The shirt may have been plenty tight in the arms, but was pretty loose in chest. Closed-back polys usually need to be pretty tight across the chest to get much pop.

Don’t get me wrong- I think a shirt as loose as yours has a place in your training- lighter rep work, an intermediate shirt when you’re warming up, or just for getting the hang of equpped benching etc. But, going forward, consider a tighter shirt. [/quote]

I agree. Use this to learn how a shirt “works” for lack of a better term. When you get your fury it will be time to have some fun.