First Electric Guitar

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you Americans get guitars so much cheaper than we do here in the UK! Scumbags[/quote]

Are there any manufacturers in Europe? [/quote]

I’m pretty sure it was PRS that made a single cut recently that was a European exclusive. [/quote]

I’ve never actually played a PRS. If I had unlimited money I’d own a couple but I find it difficult to see past Gibson

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you Americans get guitars so much cheaper than we do here in the UK! Scumbags[/quote]

I’m pretty sure it was PRS that made a single cut recently that was a European exclusive. [/quote]

I’ve never actually played a PRS. If I had unlimited money I’d own a couple but I find it difficult to see past Gibson[/quote]

I’m currently having the same problem.

If I buy used, I’m going Gibson, which is the most likely course of action.

If I buy new, I’ll get a Heritage before a new Gibson, even though it is sight unseen and might be a lemon.

Then there is the option of the PRS SE and put in some Duncan’s or other PAF knock off pickups. This will require playing hundreds of PRS’s until I find the one I like. The PRS SC245, which I would love, is just too expansive both used and new.

If someone gave me 8k tomorrow, I’d buy a PRS SC245, a Heritage custom & a used Standard, and only have 700 left over for the amp, lmao. I have a problem.

I’ll take a PRS, and a Parker Fly. Amazing guitars.

drool

artwork or an instrument; both

This is my strat (random picture from internet, but exact same)

1999 Lone Star

1 Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker
2 Fender custom shop Texas Special single coils (same as SRV)

wish i could i play it better :frowning:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
This is my strat (random picture from internet, but exact same)

1999 Lone Star

1 Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker
2 Fender custom shop Texas Special single coils (same as SRV)

wish i could i play it better :([/quote]

That burst is both awesome and wrong at the same time.

Attached is what I would love to be honest (minus the stupid sticker on the guard). But I’m more concerned with sound than looks at this point.

Like I don’t care about neck binding, but it does look better. I don’t care about binding at all, lol.

How’s the bucker sound in the strat?

Is it super hot like a metal pickup, or more Classic Rock/Blues etc?

How’s the bucker sound in the strat?

Is it super hot like a metal pickup, or more Classic Rock/Blues etc?[/quote]

To be honest, and im ashamed to admit; i cant really compare it to anything because i hardly play anymore. I prefer the tone of the single coils, but with the bucker it turns into a different guitar. I cant really describe it, it’s a versatile sounding with this setup.

Love the Sienna sunburst finish, it’s different, and jumped out at me in the store.

Beans - That Pearly Gates is what I have in the strat that I built that I showed you. Bridge and Neck positions.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Beans - That Pearly Gates is what I have in the strat that I built that I showed you. Bridge and Neck positions.[/quote]

Oh… So it’s sexy as hell sounding then? Or am I thinking of the MIM that I was drooling over?

[quote]Aggv wrote:

To be honest, and im ashamed to admit; i cant really compare it to anything because i hardly play anymore. [/quote]

No worries man. One of my degrees (don’t ask) is in music. (Jesus I have a lot of degrees, lol.) I forgot 95% of the theory, and 90% of what I used to know about playing.

It totally burnt me out on playing too. I went from hours and hours of playing a day to smoking weed and drinking, chasing pussy, you know, college… I had no desire to play.

Then, couple of weeks ago, I listened to some Allman Bros for the first time in a long, long while, and the riff for Trouble No More, bit me. Looked it up on Youtube, and said to myself, “Shit I can play that”. Been playing catchup for an hour or two a day since.

Good news is, you can party away all the mental aspects, and my timing was never on point (I never practiced like you should with a metronome or drum track, or CD’s), but the muscle memory in your fingers will always be there. You’ll get your speed and callouses back in a matter of a couple weeks.

I don’t care about binding at all, lol. [/quote]

Read this as ‘bending’ at first

Started crying and shaking,

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

I’ve never actually played a PRS. If I had unlimited money I’d own a couple but I find it difficult to see past Gibson[/quote]

I’m currently having the same problem.

If I buy used, I’m going Gibson, which is the most likely course of action.

If I buy new, I’ll get a Heritage before a new Gibson, even though it is sight unseen and might be a lemon.

Then there is the option of the PRS SE and put in some Duncan’s or other PAF knock off pickups. This will require playing hundreds of PRS’s until I find the one I like. The PRS SC245, which I would love, is just too expansive both used and new.

If someone gave me 8k tomorrow, I’d buy a PRS SC245, a Heritage custom & a used Standard, and only have 700 left over for the amp, lmao. I have a problem. [/quote]

I like the way you think. I just bought a used Gibson - first time ever buying used - and I’m so in love with it already. Took quite a gamble on it because it was on ebay and I couldn’t try it out, but I’m so glad I did. I mean obviously if you buy a gibson it’s unlikely you’ll have any complaints, but it’s still a risk

It’s a 1998 Les Paul Standard Double Cutaway. An LP DC’s been my dream guitar since I started playing and they don’t really make them anymore (you can get specials and studios but meh) so when I saw it on ebay I couldn’t resist.

If someone gave me the 8k in your scenario I’d buy a mesa boogie triple rectifier head and a speaker cabinet so big it’d be an affront to god.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Beans - That Pearly Gates is what I have in the strat that I built that I showed you. Bridge and Neck positions.[/quote]

Oh… So it’s sexy as hell sounding then? Or am I thinking of the MIM that I was drooling over?[/quote]

Stock MiM Strat (single coils):

Homemade strat, Pearly Gates:

Please excuse the slop.

Both vids straight into a Carvin Legacy 100w 2x12 (a little DD-3 on the 2nd vid).

Mexican Strat or Epiphone Les Paul isn’t too bad for being the Gibson knock-off.

Squier, the Fender knock-off, is pretty bad. I don’t recommend that route.

[quote]treco wrote:

I don’t care about binding at all, lol. [/quote]

Read this as ‘bending’ at first

Started crying and shaking,[/quote]

Not a big Jazz fan I take it?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

Oh… So it’s sexy as hell sounding then? Or am I thinking of the MIM that I was drooling over?[/quote]

Stock MiM Strat (single coils):

Homemade strat, Pearly Gates:

Please excuse the slop.

Both vids straight into a Carvin Legacy 100w 2x12 (a little DD-3 on the 2nd vid).[/quote]

Those PG’s are a touch hot for me, or maybe it’s in the strat body that is taking it ever so slightly away from the sound I’m looking for.

Got the chance to try out a PRS Single Cut finally.

It’s not a Les Paul. Looks like one but that’s about it. Was much more comfortable in the lap and the neck was nice and wide. I’ll add it’s easier to get to the 15th+ fret but it’s its own guitar not an LP copy. Pickups were way too hot and crisp for how I want to sound, and frankly it doesn’t have the balls an LP does.

The SE was a beautiful guitar, but just didn’t have what I’m looking for. Didn’t help I had tried out a 90’s LP standard they had for a killer price before hand. After fiddling around with the Gibson, the SE fell very, very short. Great Guitar, but not what I want. Beautiful fit and finish for a cheaper guitar.

I then went to GC, and found a used SC without that stupid wrap around bridge… I swear GC has shit on top of shit for guitars. It was… IN rough shape. Might be the 3,000 people that come in and abuse it, but the string were FUBAR and the frets needed some attention. It shouldn’t grind on a bend. For $1,800 I was very disappointed, but more so at Guitar Center than PRS.

The other good thing was the VOX amp I played through. Love it. It has two volume controls, one that you crank to get distortion and then a master volume so you don’t have to play at 11 and still get that “oldschool” “I got my distortion from playing loud as fuck” sound.

Those PG’s are a touch hot for me, or maybe it’s in the strat body that is taking it ever so slightly away from the sound I’m looking for.

[/quote]

PG’s in a LP:

2:04 neck p/u = beautiful