T Nation

First Electric Guitar


#1

Any recommendations in the $250-$500 range?


#2

Are you an experienced player, or looking to learn?


#3

What’s important is the country that the guitar is made in, here is the hierarchy of countries by quality of guitars (asi understand it);

  1. America
  2. Japan
  3. South korea
  4. Mexico
  5. Indonesia/china

Buy used, I can’t emphasize this enough…if you have to buy new, look for a scratch and dent deal and aim low (they want to get rid of it) in your counter-offer.

I look on craigslist and see a few used japanese made Ibanez’s for $500-, they make solid guitars in all price ranges, give that brand a solid look.


#4

[quote]MrMuzik wrote:
Are you an experienced player, or looking to learn?[/quote]

I would say I am moderate on the acoustic guitar. Looking to switch over to electric.


#5

I recommend a Fender Stratocaster. You can buy a lower end model for around $500, or look for a used one. It’s one of the standard guitars used by many pros. Not sure what style you might me looking to play, but the Strat is known for its versatility.


#6

Get a cheap strat. Spend your money on a good amp.


#7

naaaa fuck the strat, get an epiphone. Great little guitars, very cheap.

I’m actually toying with the idea of treating myself to a new electric. I’m thinking either a Gibson Firebird or Fender Jaguar. Going to go try them out next week.


#8

You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Made In Mexico Fender strat or tele. They fall squarely in that price range. That’s new. If you go on ebay, and you don’t mind used-like-new, used-slightly dinged, even better. Early 2000’s MiM’s are excellent. The new ones are still excellent.

It boils down to who you like and what style of music do you want to play? If you play heavier mostly, then look for an HSS or a style of guitar with humbuckers. Single coils are fine, too, but not as much (typically) output as humbuckers.

What do you like to play?


#9

I agree on the Made in Mexico Fenders; of course, it really depends on the type guitar you’re looking for. The low-cost G&L models are also terrific but again, if you’re looking for a fatter tone they may not be for you.


#10

I’m about to hijack the living shit out of this thread. So OP answer your questions so we can open up to more!


#11

Also, I have a 90’s Mexican Strat. needs a setup, and probably should get a re-fret, but it’s a great player.

Ernie Ball strings don’t stay in tune for shit though, and my pickups love, absolutely LOVE the ambient electricity in the air. I have to turn off certain lights in the house, and forget having the TV on or my wife’s laptop, when I’m on a single pickup.

The digital processing box I have really covers up most of the short comings the guitar has plugged directly into the amp, even the “dead” frets that aren’t forgiving at all, and you need to hit the note perfect for it to sound right. Acoustically it sounds great outside of some dead spots and past the 14th/15th fret.


#12

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Made In Mexico Fender strat or tele. They fall squarely in that price range. That’s new. If you go on ebay, and you don’t mind used-like-new, used-slightly dinged, even better. Early 2000’s MiM’s are excellent. The new ones are still excellent.

It boils down to who you like and what style of music do you want to play? If you play heavier mostly, then look for an HSS or a style of guitar with humbuckers. Single coils are fine, too, but not as much (typically) output as humbuckers.

What do you like to play?[/quote]

On my acoustic I play folk music… for the most part. On the electric I would like to focus on the blues and rock (alt)


#13

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
focus on the blues and rock (alt)
[/quote]

Look on Craigslist for a stratocaster. Strats are great blues guitars (see what SRV, clapton, Kenny W.S. play)

Just look on craigslist for a deal. If you find an epiphone for a great deal, buy it. When you’re starting out, learning how to play is more important than fine tuning a specific sound.


#14

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
focus on the blues and rock (alt)
[/quote]

Look on Craigslist for a stratocaster. Strats are great blues guitars (see what SRV, clapton, Kenny W.S. play)

Just look on craigslist for a deal. If you find an epiphone for a great deal, buy it. When you’re starting out, learning how to play is more important than fine tuning a specific sound.[/quote]

I’ll add to this that, as time goes on, and you start trying to figure stuff out without using the tab online… You may need to start paying attention to the person you’re trying to learn a lick from’s gear.

I have this problem. I’ll be trying to learn a lick from Dickey Betts on say… Stormy Monday, from the Live at the Fillmore album. I end spending more time trying to match the sustain and tone out of my effects box to get my strat to sound like his Les Paul. It just isn’t going to happen, and that is fine. Some people, this won’t matter. To me, as of today it matters lol. If he’s getting 6 notes out of a bend and it’s a hair away from feedback, and I can’t get that same sustain… I’m lost as shit trying to figure out wtf is going on.

That and, I want a fucking Les Paul. (Or apparently a PRS after doing a bunch of research…) All my favorites play a LP.

SO I end up wasting a lot of time trying to get tone out my strat that isn’t going to happen, no matter the effect, and am an audible imbecile apparently.

Helps that a lot of the old school blues guys are hella easier to follow with less band behind them to muddy up the sound.


#15

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Or apparently a PRS after doing a bunch of research… [/quote]

YES PLEASE!! They’re expensive les pauls, but god damn are they sexy.


#16

I’ve been seriously considering buying a ridiculously sexy Gibson Les Pau Standard Double Cutaway I’ve seen on ebay. It’s about the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.


#17

you Americans get guitars so much cheaper than we do here in the UK! Scumbags


#18

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you Americans get guitars so much cheaper than we do here in the UK! Scumbags[/quote]

Are there any manufacturers in Europe?


#19

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you Americans get guitars so much cheaper than we do here in the UK! Scumbags[/quote]

Are there any manufacturers in Europe? [/quote]

I’m pretty sure it was PRS that made a single cut recently that was a European exclusive.


#20

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you Americans get guitars so much cheaper than we do here in the UK! Scumbags[/quote]

Are there any manufacturers in Europe? [/quote]

Quite a few luthiers; the biggest actual factory that comes to my mind is Framus/Warwick in Germany.