T Nation

First Day Back in the Gym.

So I started my first real day of lifting today. I haven’t done any in 4 years. I thought I would start what I was always strong at so I did squats today. When I was in high school my coaches always had us do a pyramid. So thats is where I started today. Thought it would be best to start with something I was familiar with so here is what I did today.

warm up with just the bar 1x20
1x10 at 135
1x8 at 155
1x6 at 185
1x4 at 205
1x2 at 225
1x4 at 205
1x6 at 185
1x8 at 155
1x10 at 135

I got the 225 fairly easy. I thought I would do this for the first 3-4 weeks with squat, bench and Deadlift then start training for strength for about 4-5 months. Then I want to start cutting the fat. Im 5’9" right at 200lb. So I dont want to gain much more weight. But Do you think that will work for a few weeks till I get back in the flow of things or should I go ahead and just start doing low rep sets with high weight? I thought That would do more harm than good. Thought? Comments?

And yes I was in the gym for 10 min. and a guy started doing curls in the Squat rack next to me.

Take your time and get used to it before you start going for new records. It took you 4 years to get back to the gym so there’s no rush. If you go to fast you will injure yourself or get DOMS so bad it will be 4 more years before you go back.

Rather than doing the full period, stop when you get to the top and switch exercises. Do a squat, deadlift, press and push each workout, 3 times a week. That will get you used to working out before you get a chance to get sore.